1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't know what the soil consisted of but the whole idea of the garden bit is fantasy, for instance, the two humans or more were in a reservation not allowed an education so they had a human level brain with its attendant curiosity index as most humans have and they were specifically forbidden to use those brains.

Sure, sounds like heaven.

BARF.
    No education, yet he named all the animals.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 09:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A more interesting question is what was going on in Adams brain? When did he learn to speak? Did he have memories of a time before he was created?
    Interesting, I've never speculated on that.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 09:47
    Originally posted by galveston75
    How old was the garden of Eden? How long had plants been dying as well as all the animals, insects, birds etc that lived there?
    No doubt from the time God created them.
    Well it depends on your belief about the account in genesis be literal or symbolic. I don't have a strong view on this, I'm just interested in what other think. As has been speculated already, if you accept the literal timeline in Genesis then god must have created the soil with all the nutrients (decaying matter) in place.

But something about that speculation doesn't quite sit with me and I can't put my finger on it. I think it's this: if god created everything perfect, then why were the plants created to feed on decaying organic matter? Yes I think that is what's gnawing at me.

Any thoughts?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 10:071 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    ... then god must have created the soil with all the nutrients (decaying matter) in place.
    Seriously, decaying matter is hardly the only source of nutrients, and certainly not required.

... then why were the plants created to feed on decaying organic matter?
    A much more serious concern would be that all the carnivores were supposedly vegetarian (if some people are to be believed ) - which makes one wonder why they were created with all the tools for being carnivores.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 18:341 edit
    Well it depends on your belief about the account in genesis be literal or symbolic. I don't have a strong view on this, I'm just interested in what other think. As has been speculated already, if you accept the literal timeline in Genesis then god must have created the soil with all the nutrients (decaying matter) in place.

But something about that ...[text shortened]... d to feed on decaying organic matter? Yes I think that is what's gnawing at me.

Any thoughts?
    It is literal as there is no reason for it to be symbolic. The lineage of the bible from Jesus back to Adam is correct by all accounts.

Anyway I'm confused at to why you suggest the natural process of decaying matter of plants or animals that have died is not a perfect process? If things did not decay as they do and a food source for other life forms, this planet would be a mess and quite smelly. Thanks goodness for vultures......

So I would think this shows clearly the wisdom of God with these processes.

In fact the world would be pretty perfect in all it does if it were not for mans screw ups.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 18:47
    Interesting, I've never speculated on that.
    I would imagine God had a great deal to do with Adam's education on many, many subjects as he was a direct creation by God.
    The Bible says God spoke directly to Adam so there was probably a lot of communication with God and Adam.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 09:20
    It is literal as there is no reason for it to be symbolic. The lineage of the bible from Jesus back to Adam is correct by all accounts.

Anyway I'm confused at to why you suggest the natural process of decaying matter of plants or animals that have died is not a perfect process? If things did not decay as they do and a food source for other life forms ...[text shortened]...

In fact the world would be pretty perfect in all it does if it were not for mans screw ups.
    But death entered the world through sin and sin did not enter until after the garden was planted and all vegetation had been created. How can it be explained that God created vegetation that needed to rely on soil that consisted of decaying matter?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 09:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Seriously, decaying matter is hardly the only source of nutrients, and certainly not required.
    If this is true then my question is answered.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 09:24
    It is literal as there is no reason for it to be symbolic.
    What do you mean "no reason for it to be symbolic?" Symbolisms and parables are used through the Bible, why are you so certain about the genesis account?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 10:42
    The lineage of the bible from Jesus back to Adam is correct by all accounts.
    Which "all accounts" would they be?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 13:36
    If this is true then my question is answered.
    You can consider the garden of Eden as god's terrarium. A closed system with presumably immortal inhabitants not allowed to use their brains but floating around in a drugged daze. Thing is, in that system, this god would have known full well the forbidden fruit would be eaten and would not have needed to make up that particular test since it would have already known the outcome.

Just another stupid story made up by men to control other people through religious dogma.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 21:07
    You can consider the garden of Eden as god's terrarium. A closed system with presumably immortal inhabitants not allowed to use their brains but floating around in a drugged daze. Thing is, in that system, this god would have known full well the forbidden fruit would be eaten and would not have needed to make up that particular test since it would have alre ...[text shortened]... e.

Just another stupid story made up by men to control other people through religious dogma.
    Where you there?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 21:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Where you there?
    YEC argument # 2.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:10
    YEC argument # 2.
    Well?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '14 22:57
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well?
    YEC argument # 2, Were you there. Were YOU? All you have are words written by men in books CHOSEN to be our bible by the council of Nicea in around the year 300 or so. There wasn't even a bible before that. So all these words are just that: Words, stories, fairy tales to convince those who cannot or will not think for themselves.

Like you, the poster boy for the self lobotomized bible sodden tenth century man.

You would love it there. You would be king. Forcing people to accept the so-called truth of the bible or I cut off your head.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree