1. Standard memberStregoneonline
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    I really want to say something here that makes some sense.
    If you are going to isolate an act of God out of it's context and not within the larger picture, you are going to stumble right over the truth and not even know it. On it's surface, the atheist is going to balk at a God that kills innocent children. That's how the argument is framed. God is a kille ...[text shortened]... rom human history how lives were sacrificed for the benefit others. Both forced and heroic.
    Kind of like "collateral damage," right?
  2. Standard memberStregoneonline
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:031 edit
    If you are going to isolate an act of God out of it's context and not within the larger picture, you are going to stumble right over the truth and not even know it. On it's surface, the atheist is going to balk at a God that kills innocent children. That's how the argument is framed. God is a kille rom human history how lives were sacrificed for the benefit others. Both forced and heroic.
    Where was he during the holocaust!?
  3. Standard memberStregoneonline
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:033 edits
    If you are going to isolate an act of God out of it's context and not within the larger picture, you are going to stumble right over the truth and not even know it. On it's surface, the atheist is going to balk at a God that kills innocent children. That's how the argument is framed. God is a kille rom human history how lives were sacrificed for the benefit others. Both forced and heroic.
    Out of context? The "larger" picture. (What does that mean!?) You are not making 'sense' to me!
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:04
    If you are going to isolate an act of God out of it's context and not within the larger picture, you are going to stumble right over the truth and not even know it. On it's surface, the atheist is going to balk at a God that kills innocent children. That's how the argument is framed. God is a kille ...[text shortened]... rom human history how lives were sacrificed for the benefit others. Both forced and heroic.
    If god created man in a "perfect form and state" then nothing could go wrong. The fact that something went wrong means man was not perfect. The design was inherently flawed, which reflects badly upon the designer. Your god is either an incompetent designer who could do no better, or a capricious one who delights in chaos.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:07
    Do you think Pharaoh would have let God's people go if God had asked nicely?
    No. Because, after all, it was god who hardened Pharaoh's heart in the first place.
  6. Standard memberStregoneonline
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:08
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    When you say that "God is good and man is bad. It's that simple", isn't it really a lot more complicated than that?
    god, if there is one (or many?), is both good and bad, perhaps? i personally resent someone/something who ultimately (supposedly) has control over me.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by Stregone
    The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. ~ Pg. 31
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: ..... unforgiving ....

++++++++++++++++++++++

You're impressed with the unforgivingness of God in the Bible?

Was your favorite TV program The Avengers ?
  8. Standard memberStregoneonline
    Daniel
    Napoli, Italia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:16
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]++++++++++++++++++++++++

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: ..... unforgiving ....

++++++++++++++++++++++

You're impressed with the unforgivingness of God in the Bible?

Was your favorite TV program The Avengers ?[/b]
    Actually my favorite shows right now are MEDIUM and GHOST WHISPERER. My favorite movies: Advocate for the Devil and the Ninth Gate.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:24
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If god created man in a "perfect form and state" then nothing could go wrong. The fact that something went wrong means man was not perfect. The design was inherently flawed, which reflects badly upon the designer. Your god is either an incompetent designer who could do no better, or a capricious one who delights in chaos.
    Yes, something went wrong. But it wasn't God's doing.

I'm curious. You're an atheist. You reject the bible story as just fiction. Why do you even argue about it? What's more, why do I argue about it if I know we'll get nowhere? This is nuts!
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:25
    god, if there is one (or many?), is both good and bad, perhaps? i personally resent someone/something who ultimately (supposedly) has control over me.
    Do you have self control?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    No. Because, after all, it was god who hardened Pharaoh's heart in the first place.
    Within the context, God hardened an already hard heart.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:33
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What about killing the first-born. What had they done to deserve it?
    It's axiomatic with these kinds of believers that any action taken by their god is just. They will concoct wild justifications to convince a skeptic that this is so. When they run out of ideas, they retreat to the "unknown purposes defense" (UPD). There's some very good reason for him conspiring with Satan to kill Job's family or with

The UPD is closely related to the divine right defense. Yahweh is the definition of good and so any thing he does is good and just by definition. Unfortunately, in light of his OT behavior as well as his promised future behavior, this defense does less to explain Yahweh's actions than it does to confuse us about what it means to be good.

Anyway, you've been around here long enough to know how it goes. I lost nearly all interest in this subject about six months ago. It's been refreshing really.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:34
    Within the context, God hardened an already hard heart.
    See my post above. If only your creativity could be applied to a useful purpose . . .

Oh well, too bad.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:352 edits
    The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. ~ Pg. 31
    So you don't mind making him more angry I take it? 😉

Good luck with that.

Edit: Thanks for capitalizing the word "God". You know it give us theists a warm feeling inside when we see people doing that.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:36
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    When you say that "God is good and man is bad. It's that simple", isn't it really a lot more complicated than that?
    Much more complicated.
    God is infinite, man is finite.
    God is Spirit, man is temporal.
    God is omniscient, man is a blithering idiot.

Won't you give an explanation of the comparison of your own?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree