1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 20:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Body, soul, spirit.

We are made in his image.
    Simple and pretty satisfying. So if for example, thinkers in Biblical times theorized a one-substance ontology for non-living matter, two for non-human life (animated matter), and three for humans (animated matter with a transcendent aspect) your answer would fit. If they thought we are in God's image, then we would be similar to God in this respect. The concept was expressed as the Trinity.

I suppose it could be body, soul, spirit, or it could be body, mind, soul, depending how people use the terms.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 21:252 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    Simple and pretty satisfying. So if for example, thinkers in Biblical times theorized a one-substance ontology for non-living matter, two for non-human life (animated matter), and three for humans (animated matter with a transcendent aspect) your answer would fit. If they thought we are in God's image, then we would be similar to God in this respect. The conc ...[text shortened]... uld be body, soul, spirit, or it could be body, mind, soul, depending how people use the terms.
    biblical times? dont you mean post biblical times, the idea never became established
    until the fourth century, that is almost thee hundred years after the scriptures were
    written. It was not mentioned by Christ and was unknown to Paul. I find you once
    again JS357 using the Bible in an unsupported and purely conjectural manner. You will
    now be handed over to Satan, for the destruction of the flesh!
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 21:461 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you mean righteous indignation, well that's fine, however Jay, you have some deep
    knowledge of this very subject from your perspective. I would like to thank you for
    posting those videos on the Bible and cosmology and creation science, they were
    particularly excellent! 🙂

As for JS357, i think he was just saying that he didn't want sidetracked by the usual,
    exist not exist arguments which are quite futile and produce nothingness.
    The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.

What God IS in His nature can hardly be separated from what God DOES in His eternal purpose. What God is in His Trinity is unseparatable from His operation in His eternal plan.

God's plan is to dispense Himself as life and nature into man. For this dispensing there is the Source, there is the Course, and there is the Flow or the Transmission.

Think of an analogy of electric power to your home. Far away is the power plant as the source of the electrical power. From the plant to your house are the cables as the course connecting you two. And the voltage is the flow of the electrical current from the plant, over the wires and into your home.

Any analogy is limited. This helps me. God the Father is the Source of the divine and eternal life. God the Son is the expression of that life and nature from the Father to man. And God the Holy Spirit is the flow dispensing that life and nature from the Father, through the Son, into man.

The Trinity is related to what God's plan is - to flow out of Himself dispensing His life and nature into man that man may be one with the Triune God for His glorification and man's enjoyment.

And here is a plain verse in the Gospel of John which nicely conveys what I have just explained to you:

"But when He, the Spirit of reality, comes, He will guide you into all the reality; for He will nmot speak from Himself, but what He hears He will speak; and He will declare to you the things wthat are coming. He will glorify Me, for He will receive of Mine and will declare it to you.

All that the Father has is Mine; for this [reason] I have said that He receives of Mine and will declare it to you." ( John 16:13-15)

All that the Father has and is is embodied in the Son. All that is in the Son will be received by the Holy Spirit and declared to the believers. The Father is the source. The Son is the course. And the Spirit flows the riches of the Father which are embodied in the Son into the saved."

Though the Holy Spirit God finally reaches man in his innermost being. The Holy Spirit is the final reaching of God as divine life into man.

I hope this helps some. And to the scoffers of this world who don't care if the Holy Spirit exists -

"If anyone does not love the Lord, let him be accursed! The Lord comes!" (1 Cor. 16:22)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 21:581 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill

What God IS in His nature can hardly be separated from what God DOES in His eternal purpose. What God is in His Trinity is unseparatable from His operation in His eternal plan.

God's plan is to dispense Himself as life and nature into man. For this dispensing there is the Source, there is the Course, and there yone does not love the Lord, let him be accursed! The Lord comes!" (1 Cor. 16:22)
    [/b]
    you know i dont subscribe to this point of view Jay, but yes, that is not to say, someone
    else shall not. My main objection is as you know, that personification does not
    necessarily mean personality, therefore while the scriptures personify the Holy spirit,
    it is, not of necessity, a personality. Gods purpose as far as i can discern is that
    persons are reconciled back to God, through a ministry of reconciliation (our privilege)
    to repentance and forgiveness of sins, so that the may come into a relationship with
    him, on the basis of Christ sacrifice. That the Holy Spirit is operative in all aspects of
    this, i do not doubt, its simply in its personification that we disagree upon.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 21:58
    yes that right, you heard it agers my son, creation science, in fact one of the very first
    statements that the author makes is that creationism in the past had failed, because it
    presented claims that were unscientific, so he sought to redress that balance by
    keeping his arguments well within the realms of presently accepted 'science'.

Now you can take the puzzled look from your face, and replace it with a smiley one!
    Call me cynical but I'd hazard a guess, given I haven't seen those videos jaywill posted that they include such "science" like intelligent design - am I right or wrong?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:01
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Call me cynical but I'd hazard a guess, given I haven't seen those videos jaywill posted that they include such "science" like intelligent design - am I right or wrong?
    not in the one i saw, it was 'big bang', cosmology and how it harmonises with the Bibles
    point of view. You know, universe caused by unseen agency, had a beginning, etc etc
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:07
    biblical times? dont you mean post biblical times, the idea never became established
    until the fourth century, that is almost thee hundred years after the scriptures were
    written. It was not mentioned by Christ and was unknown to Paul. I find you once
    again JS357 using the Bible in an unsupported and purely conjectural manner. You will
    now be handed over to Satan, for the destruction of the flesh!
    Right, the idea of the Trinity took a while to become established, but my suggestion is that the underlying ideas came earlier. I know the Greeks were taking about philosophical ideas much earlier than Jesus walked on land and sea, and as Christianity spread, it ran into these ideas.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:12
    Right, the idea of the Trinity took a while to become established, but my suggestion is that the underlying ideas came earlier. I know the Greeks were taking about philosophical ideas much earlier than Jesus walked on land and sea, and as Christianity spread, it ran into these ideas.
    yes, there are Egyptian trinities, Sumerian trinities, Babylonian trinities etc etc.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:23

God's plan is to dispense Himself as life and nature into man. For this dispensing there is the Source, there is the Course, and there ...[text shortened]... yone does not love the Lord, let him be accursed! The Lord comes!" (1 Cor. 16:22)
    [/b]
    I was taught that if I think I understand the Trinity, that means I don't.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 00:40
    If you don't care then why ask ?

Go rot in your sins and don't worry about it.
    Good grief, jaywill, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

I think the last statement of the OP was aimed at the people out there who would clog up this thread with nonsense about fairy tales and such. I think he was saying "don't bother me with your unbelief".
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 04:02
    not in the one i saw, it was 'big bang', cosmology and how it harmonises with the Bibles
    point of view. You know, universe caused by unseen agency, had a beginning, etc etc
    The BIg Bang implies an explosion, which does not seem to
    harmonize with the Holy Bible to me. God spoke things into
    existence. This implies the use of sound waves but not an
    explosion, which destroyes things.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 04:152 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Here is a nice little web site to splain things as to what he is talking about. It's called fine tuning the universe.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

No matter your opinion, the fact remains that you really have no incling as to how God made the universe, and that goes for atheists who think that God had nothing to do with it. So why not take a dose of humility by not throwing out every speculation that is contrary to your preconcieved view as to how God did it?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 04:48
    Speaking of the spiritual, does anyone here have a way to make the idea of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit intelligible, such as the role of the Holy Spirit and the 3 in 1 concept, or is it to be taken as an impenetrable mystery? Three-leaf cloverish analogies don't help, IMHO.

I don't particularly care to discuss whether it/they are believed to exist.
    What is your question, I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 05:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What is your question, I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?
    Kelly
    If my OP is not clear enough, please let me know.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 08:331 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    yes, big bang is not a very apt description, for as yet, i have yet to observe harmony
    from an explosion. The bible itself does not give details, all it states is that God is
    abundant in dynamic energy, and as we know, the universe and the matter in it is pure
    energy. Is it not the case?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree