1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by AppleChess
    Example: if you are willing, for the sake of argument, accept that Christ lived for a moment. Let's place him at the traditional dates around 6-4 BC.
    Actually, 5 B.C. to 31 A.D. from Passover to Passover. Age of death 35 years of age half of 70.
  2. Joined
    18 Apr '15
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:212 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Josephus' reference was written 50 or 60 years after Jesus is said to have died. What it says about 'early Christians' may well constitute primary source material, but in terms of what it 'proves' about the historicalness of Jesus, AppleChess is mistaken.
    You and I will have to agree to disagree.

My linchpin for Christ's historicity is not Josephus. I feel you are deviating from academic prose to something else.

Easy tactic to write off sources. Maybe you should convincingly argue why you can afford to take Josephus so lightly?

Btw, read the article I posted above. I think you would find it interesting at least. It's the one by Matthew Parris.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:28
    My linchpin for Christ's historicity is not Joseohus. I feel you are deviating from academic prose to something else.
    You introduced Josephus as 'proof' of Jesus' historicness, not me. Personally, I have no problem with accepting that a Jewish rabbi called Jesus lived and preached at the beginning of the C1st. I just find it interesting that you would make claims about the significance of Josephus' writing that you are back peddling from only two posts-on-a-message-board later.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:301 edit
    Easy tactic to write off sources. Maybe you should convincingly argue why you can afford to take Josephus so lightly?
    I haven't written him off. There were Christians in 90-100 AD and they believed what they believed, I think Josephus as a source supports this.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You believe Alexander lived? Well there is more historical evidence for Christ than Alexander. Only a fool would deny that the Christ is a real historical personage.
    If there is less evidence for Alexander then I have to doubt his existence too.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:43
    You and I will have to agree to disagree.

My linchpin for Christ's historicity is not Josephus. I feel you are deviating from academic prose to something else.

Btw, read the article I posted above. I think you would find it interesting at least. It's the one by Matthew Parris.
    I looked into this a little while ago. There is virtually no evidence for an historical Christ. The only sources are the Bible, Josephus and Tacitus. The Tacitus mention is at best ambiguous, he mentions a Chrestus who was causing unrest amongst the Jews in Rome. There are two relevant sections in Josephus, the major one is clearly a later redaction. The reference to James the Just's trial is probably genuine.

However, if you want to present a list of other sources I'd be interested to see them.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:52
    I posted this in a thread in the chess forum in response to a post. It fits here better. So I thought I'd post it here too.

Thread 164029 It is towards the bottom of page 6 in the thread.

"I realize this is a chess forum and not a spirituality forum, but I feel this is necessary to say still since you put it on display in this thread. ...[text shortened]... she was a philosopher or theologian.

Feel free to take this to the spirituality forums now."
    "Great minds discuss ideas".........can be claimed by any group of people........

e.g. 5 bank robbers are sitting around the table discussing ideas about their next hoist.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:56
    Originally posted by Dasa
    "Great minds discuss ideas".........can be claimed by any group of people........

e.g. 5 bank robbers are sitting around the table discussing ideas about their next hoist.
    Well yes, but then again, there is such a thing as a criminal genius.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 May '15 00:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    If there is less evidence for Alexander then I have to doubt his existence too.
    Then I suppose monkeys must have turned to men during the dark ages and then who is the first man that you have enough evidence to know existed?
  10. Joined
    18 Apr '15
    Moves
    11 May '15 01:19
    I think you misunderstand proofs for support.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 01:24
    I think you misunderstand proofs for support.
    Well it was you who said "Then you haven't studied much history. Secular sources, Josephus etc, confirm his existence." So I think you misunderstand the difference between what 'studied much history' ought to mean, and your own presumably sincere assertions about what you believe about history.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 May '15 02:235 edits
    I posted this in a thread in the chess forum in response to a post. It fits here better. So I thought I'd post it here too.

Thread 164029 It is towards the bottom of page 6 in the thread.

"I realize this is a chess forum and not a spirituality forum, but I feel this is necessary to say still since you put it on display in this thread. ...[text shortened]... she was a philosopher or theologian.

Feel free to take this to the spirituality forums now."
    You should reconsider your position. While Jesus walked the earth, He spoke of many ideas - many of which are quite deep and profound.

Jesus repeatedly emphasized the importance of His words:
    That one must understand His words.
    That one must not only understand His words - one must believe His words.
    That one must not only believe His words - one must follow His words.
    That one must not only follow His words - one must keep His words.

The following is but one example of the importance Jesus put on His words:
    John 6
    63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." 64 "But there are some of you who do not believe.”...
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 May '15 04:15
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You should reconsider your position. While Jesus walked the earth, He spoke of many ideas - many of which are quite deep and profound.

Jesus repeatedly emphasized the importance of His words:
    That one must understand His words.
    That one must not only understand His words - one must believe His words.
    That one must not only believe His words - one m ...[text shortened]... poken to you are spirit and are life." 64 "But there are some of you who do not believe.”...
    [/b]
    Maybe you would be wise to heed them. 😏
  14. Joined
    18 Apr '15
    Moves
    11 May '15 05:32
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Actually, 5 B.C. to 31 A.D. from Passover to Passover. Age of death 35 years of age half of 70.
    Scholars do not agree on an actual year. Sources conflict a little. Hence the 2 year gap. 6-4 B.C.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '15 05:51
    Regardless of your opinions about Christianity, most will be forced to admit that the person of Christ stands in history as a giant-the ideas are important but less so.
    Here I am, see if you can force me.
    What do you mean by 'the person of Christ'? In what way did it 'stand out in history as a giant'?
    I certainly think that some ideas attributed to Jesus have resulted in several major world religions, but I am not convinced any person called Jesus or Christ actually existed - certainly I am pretty sure much of the accounts in the gospels are fabricated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree