1. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:08
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]And guess what - Darwin too was a Christian! Whoopee. And could you please tell me where in the Bible the scientific method is laid down? Chapter and verse please.

And guess what? He was a Christian before he went off his rocker. He delved into spiritism and all that junk. These were the words he spoke before his book was published: "You will ...[text shortened]... how almost universal is it in an author to persuade himself of the truth of his own dogmas." 🙄[/b]
    Well done laddie. Ripped off another website without giving it its reference?

Here it is for posterity: http://www.evolutionisdead.com/quotes.php?QID=217&cr=34

Darwin was wrong in is assessment of his book. What of it? I imagine if he was alive today he would be pretty impressed with where his ideas have led.

And I am still waiting for the chapter and verse of where in the Bible the scientific method is laid down...or can't you find a website that gives you that answer?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:12
    Originally posted by Redmike
    The distinction between christianity and spiritualism, astrology and the like was much more blurred during the scientific revolution than it is today.
    Most scientists and philosophers had an interest in spiritualism and astrology in these times, unlike today when they are (correctly) dismissed as nonsense. Newton, for example, was a big advocate of astrolog ...[text shortened]... s time, to be a christian and into things like spiritualism and the like. They were all at it.
    So, Darwin go off his rocker and get into spiritualism. It was perfectly accepteable, in his time...

You mean it was perfectly acceptable to go off your rocker? 🙄
  3. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:18
    [b] So, Darwin go off his rocker and get into spiritualism. It was perfectly accepteable, in his time...

You mean it was perfectly acceptable to go off your rocker? 🙄[/b]

And on what basis do you claim he went off his rocker? He certainly had panic attacks - but that doesn't qualify for being insane. He was under such attack from people who claimed to be 'Christians' that you can't blame him for panicking occasionally.

So what other evidence do you have? Perhaps you can cite a good Creationist website for me.
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:19
    [b] So, Darwin go off his rocker and get into spiritualism. It was perfectly accepteable, in his time...

You mean it was perfectly acceptable to go off your rocker? 🙄[/b]
    You'll find that this has been editted to corrected a typo.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:26
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

Here it is for posterity: http://www.evolutionisdead.com/quotes.php?QID=217&cr=34

Darwin was wrong in is assessment of his book. What of it? I imagine if he was alive today he would be pretty impressed with where his ideas have led.

And I am still waiting for the ch ...[text shortened]... le the scientific method is laid down...or can't you find a website that gives you that answer?

Thanks for the site. I actually have a book with me containing quotes of Darwins . I did mention that I was quoting him, by the way...

And I am still waiting for the chapter and verse of where in the Bible the scientific method is laid down...or can't you find a website that gives you that answer?

Don't be an ig. I said that Bible believing Christians developed every major field of science. This does not mean that the scientific method is found in the Bible.🙄
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:29
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

And on what basis do you claim he went off his rocker? He certainly had panic attacks - but that doesn't qualify for being insane. He was under such attack from people who claimed to be 'Christians' that you can't blame him for panicking occasionally.

So what other evidence do you have? Perhaps you can cite a good Creationist website for me.
    Just for you to scoff over it again?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:31
    By the way, I have a question for you, seeing you are such a stout supporter of evolution. Would you mind explaining to me how blind chance can create a seeing eye?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 13:33
    Don't be an ig. I said that Bible believing Christians developed every major field of science. This does not mean that the scientific method is found in the Bible.🙄
    Actually that's exactly what you said:

... the Bible played a vital part in the development of scientific discovery. Every major branch of science was developed by a Bible - believing Christian. The Bible essentially created science and the scientific method.

Christianity supressed science for centuaries, the fact that major scientists were Christians for a period, is because practically everyone was a Christians at the time. Their Christiantiy had nothing to do with scientific process, method, extrapolation, null-hypothesis, empirical data collection, experiment or conclusion.
  9. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:02
    My dear friend maybe it will surprise you that Christianity created Science. The irrefutable fact is that Christianity gave birth to modern science. The scientific revolution began in the Protestant Reformation and the Bible played a vital part in the development of scientific discovery. Every major branch of science was developed by a Bible - believing Ch ...[text shortened]... are no such natural laws. Evolution fails this test. There is nothing scientific about it.

What a load of carp!

You seem to be way too self absorbed in your own deity to even realise that other religions exist.

Thousands of years before a blasphemer was crucified because he claimed to be the son of god, the human race had science and writing.

10. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:041 edit
    By the way, I have a question for you, seeing you are such a stout supporter of evolution. Would you mind explaining to me how blind chance can create a seeing eye?
    Oh dear.

That's the whole point of evolution, it doesn't just 'create' a seeing eye. That's what god does, waves his magic wand or whatever and then *poof* there's an eye.

And it's not 'blind chance', individuals with certain beneficial characteristics are more likely to survive. It happens in very small increments.

To reply in a manner you should understand, I shall quote a website: http://library.thinkquest.org/28030/eyeevo.htm

Basically, you start with something that is sensitive to light. Individuals with better sensitivity survive better, because the trait confers a survival advantage. They breed together, creating offspring with even better sensitivity to light, and so on.
    This continues in very very tiny increments, until eventually after many millions of years, you have an eye or two.
  11. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:07
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Oh dear.

That's the whole point of evolution, it doesn't just 'create' a seeing eye. That's what god does, waves his magic wand or whatever and then *poof* there's an eye.

And it's not 'blind chance', individuals with certain beneficial characteristics are more likely to survive. It happens in very small increments.

To reply in a manner y ...[text shortened]... ery very tiny increments, until eventually after many millions of years, you have an eye or two.
    Rec'ed - simply because you said what I did not have the patience to say.

12. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:09
    Originally posted by Alcra
    Rec'ed - simply because you said what I did not have the patience to say.

Thanks, but it was less patience and more just the fact that I'm at work. Even arguing with backwards creationists is more exciting than that.
  13. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:10
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Thanks, but it was less patience and more just the fact that I'm at work. Even arguing with backwards creationists is more exciting than that.
    lol - do you think creationists are a product of DE-evolution?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:10
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Actually that's [b]exactly what you said:

... the Bible played a vital part in the development of scientific discovery. Every major branch of science was developed by a Bible - believing Christian. The Bible essentially created science and the scientific method.

Christianity supressed science for centuaries, the fact that major scientists ...[text shortened]... ss, method, extrapolation, null-hypothesis, empirical data collection, experiment or conclusion.[/b]
    Christianity supressed science for centuaries

You mean Roman Catholisism?

The fact that major scientists were Christians for a period, is because practically everyone was a Christians at the time.

Practically everyone? 🙄 Dont make me laugh...

Their Christiantiy had nothing to do with scientific process, method, extrapolation, null-hypothesis, empirical data collection, experiment or conclusion.

How do you know this? What makes you an expert on Christian scientists? The fact is that because of the Reformation there were Christian scientists that started every major branch of science. That alone speaks volumes...
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:222 edits
    You mean Roman Catholisism?

This is still a branch of Christianity is it not?

Practically everyone?

As mentioned before, this was in regards to Europe, I should have added it in.

🙄 Dont make me laugh...

I thought after so much of my own I thought it was fair to return the compliment.

How do you know this?

Because I am a scientist and I understand the processes in question.

What makes you an expert on Christian scientists? The fact is that because of the Reformation there were Christian scientists that started every major branch of science. That alone speaks volumes..

The fact that scientists were Christian does not make them 'Christian Scientists' which is a modern term. The major branches of science were around prior to Christianity as many people here have pointed out already. It does not speak volumes at all.

EDIT: Error in quote posting etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree