1. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:23
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]Christianity supressed science for centuaries

You mean Roman Catholisism?

The fact that major scientists were Christians for a period, is because practically everyone was a Christians at the time.

Practically everyone? 🙄 Dont make me laugh...

Their Christiantiy had nothing to do with scientific process, method, extrapolatio ...[text shortened]... Christian scientists that started every major branch of science. That alone speaks volumes...
    So, mathematics, astronomy, physics, biology, chemistry etc etc only started at the same time as the reformation? Really?
    And, incidentally, are you saying that there were no christians before the reformation?
  2. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:31
    Originally posted by Redmike
    So, mathematics, astronomy, physics, biology, chemistry etc etc only started at the same time as the reformation? Really?
    And, incidentally, are you saying that there were no christians before the reformation?
    Must be - the discovery of those branches of science by christians in the reformation must have come as a real shock to all those scientists already working in their respective fields...

🙂
  3. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:36
    Originally posted by Alcra
    Must be - the discovery of those branches of science by christians in the reformation must have come as a real shock to all those scientists already working in their respective fields...

🙂
    Heh, I can just see them all stand around going 'so that's what we've been doing all this time!"
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 14:37
    By the way, I have a question for you, seeing you are such a stout supporter of evolution. Would you mind explaining to me how blind chance can create a seeing eye?
    Some of the stages were photosensitive cell patch => "eye cup" => Pinhole camera design of eye => Eye with primitive lens => Modern eye. All of these exist in modern day organisms and one can easily see how the simple kinds could give rise to the more complex kinds through small modifications.
  5. Camp Hill, Pa USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 23:37
    😀
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -Albert Einstein...I need not add to that but both are suppose to work together, and to understand the difference between theories and valid statements based upon evidence..like dinosaur bones.
    Darwin saw those bones but didn't know where to turn for the answer. If we evolved then where do babies fit in? I mean...did they become adults first?
    Science helps prove what I believe.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:04
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Oh dear.

That's the whole point of evolution, it doesn't just 'create' a seeing eye. That's what god does, waves his magic wand or whatever and then *poof* there's an eye.

And it's not 'blind chance', individuals with certain beneficial characteristics are more likely to survive. It happens in very small increments.

To reply in a manner y ...[text shortened]... ery very tiny increments, until eventually after many millions of years, you have an eye or two.
    This is not science. This is pure speculation. Science is based upon what you can observe. This has never been observed. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that the earth is not millions of years old.
  7. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:15
    This is not science. This is pure speculation. Science is based upon what you can observe. This has never been observed. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that the earth is not millions of years old.
    It may be speculation, but it's the best one we have at the moment. No-one claims that evolution is unequivocally the answer to how life got here, but it's certainly more scientific than to just say 'Well god did it'.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:18
    Originally posted by Starrman
    [b]You mean Roman Catholisism?

This is still a branch of Christianity is it not?

Practically everyone?

As mentioned before, this was in regards to Europe, I should have added it in.

🙄 Dont make me laugh...

I thought after so much of my own I thought it was fair to return the complim ...[text shortened]... ve pointed out already. It does not speak volumes at all.

EDIT: Error in quote posting etc.[/b]
    This is still a branch of Christianity is it not?

Catholisism suppressed the Bible. It was only after the reformation that the common people were allowed and able to read the Bible. And the fact that the first book to be printed was the Bible also speaks volumes.

9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:22
    Originally posted by Alcra

🙂
    Would you like to name a few?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Some of the stages were photosensitive cell patch => "eye cup" => Pinhole camera design of eye => Eye with primitive lens => Modern eye. All of these exist in modern day organisms and one can easily see how the simple kinds could give rise to the more complex kinds through small modifications.
    Does this not point out that there was a common designer?

All of these exist in modern day organisms and one can easily see how the simple kinds could give rise to the more complex kinds throgh small modifications.

When has non-life ever produced life? Even if you do produce molecules that does not prove anything. It does however prove that you need inteligence to produce something. This does point out that there must have been an intelligent designer. Nothing else.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:36
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    It may be speculation, but it's the best one we have at the moment. No-one claims that evolution is unequivocally the answer to how life got here, but it's certainly more scientific than to just say 'Well god did it'.
    Why is it more scientific? You are claiming that intelligence can be produced by non-inteligence. In other words that life can be produced by non-life. I am claiming that intelligence is needed to produce anything intelligent. In other words, God is the ultimate source of intelligence and through his intelligence something intelligent was created. Why is this more unscientific than to say that intelligence can be created by non-inteligence?
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:48
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Your posts are becoming more illiterate, gramatically suspect and puerile by the day... You do your god no favours.

Perhaps you still wish to respond to this post...

It was the scientific method that you so deride and despise that has given you:

- Safe aeroplane travel
    - The destruction of Smallpox
    - Heart surgery
    - The computer that you ...[text shortened]... e there. You could perhaps join the Inquisition. They didn't like new ideas either.

Henry
    Sadly science has yet to come up with a cure for brain death so we will continue to see posts like the one Dj2 just posted..
  13. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:54
    Don't be an ig. I said that Bible believing Christians developed every major field of science. This does not mean that the scientific method is found in the Bible.🙄[/b]
    An ig?

Your earlier post said:
    "The Bible essentially created science and the scientific method."

How? Just because some scientists are Christians doesn't say that the Bible had anything to do with it developing the scientific method. Next you will tell me that the Bible has quite a good recipe for pavlova and cream.
  14. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 09:57
    Just for you to scoff over it again?
    I enjoy a good scoff.

But all I was doing was asking you to provide a reference to your claim that "Darwin was off his rocker." If you are going to tell us all that a prominent individual was insane, I think it is up to you to provide some worthwhile evidence.
  15. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 10:05
    By the way, I have a question for you, seeing you are such a stout supporter of evolution. Would you mind explaining to me how blind chance can create a seeing eye?
    Oh dear, here we go again. You have been reading "Creationism 101 for Raw Beginners" haven't you? This apparent conundrum has been dealt with by many eminent biologists. Indeed there is a fascinating website dealing with the Evolution of the Eye. See: http://www.origins.tv/darwin/eyes.htm

I have a question for you. If God is so great at designing humans, why are the eyes so faulty and suffers so many diseases? Perhaps my astigmatism, short-sightedness and kerataconus is caused by my sinning? Or is your God a rather lousy designer of biological organs?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree