The Lord sent a pestilence

The Lord sent a pestilence

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Dec 21

In 2 Samuel 24, we find that King David decided to take a census of the men of fighting age. The prophet Gad was sent to David to announce God’s displeasure with the taking of the census. The punishment for David’s sin: “The Lord sent a pestilence on Israel from that morning until the appointed time; and seventy thousand of the people died” (2 Samuel 24:15).

David makes a decision that does not please God, and God kills 70,000 Israelites for it? How could this action ever be reconciled with a God of mercy, compassion, justice, and love?

https://www.adamhamilton.com/blog/gods-violence-in-the-old-testament-the-problem/#.YctQVWjP3D4

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Dec 21
2 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
In 2 Samuel 24, we find that King David decided to take a census of the men of fighting age. The prophet Gad was sent to David to announce God’s displeasure with the taking of the census. The punishment for David’s sin: “The Lord sent a pestilence on Israel from that morning until the appointed time; and seventy thousand of the people died” (2 Samuel 24:15).

David ...[text shortened]...

https://www.adamhamilton.com/blog/gods-violence-in-the-old-testament-the-problem/#.YctQVWjP3D4
Davids sin was not that he counted the Jews, but disobedience. Its a good point for Christians to bear in mind when they claim that they can sin and disobey and all will be forgiven and they still get eternal life. Paul warned Christians not to fall into this trap but many here apparently do not care

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?(Hebrews 10:26-29 KJV)

The God of Israel is portrayed as a .. God of mercy, compassion, justice, and love?..., but those who are familiar with the bible know that does not tell the whole story.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Davids sin was not that he counted the Jews, but disobedience. Its a good point for Christians to bear in mind when they claim that they can sin and disobey and all will be forgiven and they still get eternal life. Paul warned Christians not to fall into this trap but many here apparently do not care

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of t ...[text shortened]... and love?..., but those who are familiar with the bible know that does not tell the whole story.
<<The God of Israel is portrayed as a .. God of mercy, compassion, justice, and love?..., but those who are familiar with the bible know that does not tell the whole story.>>

So what’s the rest of the story? Are you saying God punishes unjustly? That His punishments do not fit the crime?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
<<The God of Israel is portrayed as a .. God of mercy, compassion, justice, and love?..., but those who are familiar with the bible know that does not tell the whole story.>>

So what’s the rest of the story? Are you saying God punishes unjustly? That His punishments do not fit the crime?
Look at the passage in the OP. God kills 70,000 Israelites because God is displeased with David.

How is that not a case of God punishing unjustly, of his punishment not fitting the crime?! Like, seriously?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Look at the passage in the OP. God kills 70,000 Israelites because God is displeased with David.

How is that not a case of God punishing unjustly, of his punishment not fitting the crime?! Like, seriously?
I was asking rajk999 because he’s not an atheist.

I’ll look at the passage more later today

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I was asking rajk999 because he’s not an atheist.

I’ll look at the passage more later today
You have 24 hours...

Moves
28 Dec 21
1 edit

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You have 24 hours...
Probably will take 48-72

Moves
28 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Probably will take 48-72
The longer it takes, the more contrived it will seem.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
The longer it takes, the more contrived it will seem.
I liked it better when you were ignoring me.

Can we go back to that?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You have 24 hours...
BTW, Ghosty, you’re aware that King David chose his punishment, right? That he was given three options and chose pestilence.

Thought that should be mentioned upfront since you neglected to mention it.

Moves
28 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
I liked it better when you were ignoring me.

Can we go back to that?
No, I don't think so. Word gets around.

And even without that, as an independent observer I have noticed some inconsistencies in your presentation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
No, I don't think so. Word gets around.

And even without that, as an independent observer I have noticed some inconsistencies in your presentation.
Feel free not to elaborate and to pretend I don’t exist

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Dec 21

@pb1022 said

I said nothing of the sort. The actions of God cannot be summed up in these cute little one-liners like God is Love and God so loved the world that .... etc etc. These are for people who choose not to read and understand the bible, and live in a delusion that all is well if they believe the lies preached by the church. I cannot say whether God punishes unjustly or where he punishment fits the crime. I do not have all the information I need to made that decision. God is capable of all the flaws that man faces, hatred, jealousy, regret, bad decisions etc etc. There are examples of this throughout the bible.. Here is one about Pharoah, who was raised up and groomed so that God can show his power through him.

For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.(Romans 9:15-17 KJV)

People need to be careful of what they assume about God... Christians in particular like to believe that their profession of faith makes them immune from punishment and damnation. They will find out the truth the hard way.

The wise Christian knows what God likes and stays within his boundaries because the consequences of moving out of that can be devastating.

Moves
28 Dec 21

@rajk999 said

The wise Christian knows what God likes and stays within his boundaries because the consequences of moving out of that can be devastating.
The wiser non-Christian eschews all that mental clutter.