1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 May '12 17:13
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The decision to have a child or not has a huge impact on the life of the mother. The word 'convenience' does not adequately cover the meaning of such a large impact; it is typically used for situations with much smaller effects on ease of use or ease of living, like "this area has convenient access to restaurants" or "the spatula is a convenience - it ma ...[text shortened]... of no more consequence than her decision to purchase a cell phone or post on facebook.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_device

Handy for either side of an argument. Use early and often.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '12 17:15
    Originally posted by JS357

such Machiavellian Realpolitiks is certainly practical and convenient!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '12 17:19
    Originally posted by JS357

Interesting. Also on that page, a link to a manual:

http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 May '12 17:511 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    weasel words? LOL I dont think that it does make the matter of abortion a triviality,
    but it certainly stigmatises those who for no other reason than they do not want a child,
    choose to abort.
    To say that there is 'no other reason than they do not want a child' is misleading. The decision is a little more complicated than that. A mother will likely weigh her economic situation, community support, plans for her future, social status, potential joy vs. hardship of motherhood, etc. in order to reach her decision.

Here's a Rhetorical Device for my fans: If we considered a more nuanced view of why women have abortions, we would not have that impressive 95% slab in our pie graph. 😵
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 May '12 18:202 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Interesting. Also on that page, a link to a manual:

http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm
    Edit: Deleted reply, as not quite right.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 May '12 19:13
    How bout you comfort the mom of the rape? It was not only rape but incestuous, her father's brother. So not only do we get kidnapping, daily rape and the anti-abortion people convincing her to have the baby but the kid is genetically damaged in the bargain. There are no winners here except the in the minds of the anti-abortionists who convinced her to have ...[text shortened]... e anti-abortionists be then? How about compassion for millions of people starving as we speak?
    Still at least robbie has confirmed the thread title, and remember in this case the word 'religious' is interchangeable with judgemental.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '12 19:36
    I can point out one clear instance of christian so-called compassion:

Going to all kinds of extremes to stop abortions up to and including killing the abortion doctors. Yet when the baby is born, these so-called compassionate people drop the issue like a hot rock, going on the the next pursuit.

Where is the compassion and support for the new mom or t ...[text shortened]... e and now the anti-abortion people are nowhere to be found. Yessir, great religion is Paulism.
    Allowing the murder of the unborn babies will not solve the compassion problem. That requires a change in the heart of all people so that everyone treats other as they would like to be treated, as Jesus said. People can be religious in many ways and compassionate in many ways. So to single out a single type of lack of compassion and make a conclusion on that is irresponsible. Some people prefer to be more compassionate to animals than humans and many of their choices may or may not have nothing to do with religion. That is only something that can be speculated on. We don't know for sure what the cause is other than possibly a hard heart, which is usually associated with one that does not have faith in the true creator God.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 May '12 19:511 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Allowing the murder of the unborn babies will not solve the compassion problem. That requires a change in the heart of all people so that everyone treats other as they would like to be treated, as Jesus said. People can be religious in many ways and compassionate in many ways. So to single out a single type of lack of compassion and make a conclusion on t d heart, which is usually associated with one that does not have faith in the true creator God.
    No but having compassion for the mother mentioned in the post, given the gravity of the crime committed against her, rather than shoving your personal religious views down her throat would go someway to ameliorating the pain and distress felt by her and her family. Any anti or pro abortionist lobbying someone in that vulnerable position should face legal sanctions.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:09
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    No but having compassion for the mother mentioned in the post, given the gravity of the crime committed against her, rather than shoving your personal religious views down her throat would go someway to ameliorating the pain and distress felt by her and her family. Any anti or pro abortionist lobbying someone in that vulnerable position should face legal sanctions.
    Two wrongs don't make a right. The murder of the innocent baby for the evil the Father did will make things worse for the mother. I think that having that baby to love will help her get over the pain of the rape. It is misplaced compassion in thinking taking the life of her child is going to help the rape victum even if she receives little or no help in raising the child.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    trivial or not, social convenience is what accounts for 95 percent of all abortions! and
    you highlight a rather interesting aspects of abortions, the psychological after effects
    and emotional scarring.
    In the interim, ignore the emotional scars from women who have had abortions. If memory serves, the woman who brought Roe vs. Wade to the Supremes has recanted and says she is sorry about going through with it.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:18
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-04-highly-religious-people-compassion-non-believers.html
    As I have shown on a previous thread, those that help the poor are overwhelmingly those who practice a faith base of some kind. To focus on controversial abortion related issues to judge ones compassion is just screwy. Of course, being the compassionate person of faith that am, I will overlook your drival with the realization that you are a faith based bigot. 😛
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    As I have shown on a previous thread, those that help the poor are overwhelmingly those who practice a faith base of some kind. To focus on controversial abortion related issues to judge ones compassion is just screwy. Of course, being the compassionate person of faith that am, I will overlook your drival with the realization that you are a faith based bigot. 😛
    So I gather then that you will not read the article.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the interim, ignore the emotional scars from women who have had abortions. If memory serves, the woman who brought Roe vs. Wade to the Supremes has recanted and says she is sorry about going through with it.
    Many of which are caused or imagined by vengeful religious fanatics, I personally know of several women who for differing reasons have made that choice and not one of them is or has needed counselling. It has to be said these are British women and here the religious extremists are still a very small and marginalized minority.

Women have been controlling their fertility long before patriarchal monotheism and they will be doing so long after it is consigned to the dustbin of human history.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 May '12 20:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think that having that baby to love will help her get over the pain of the rape.
    The kid may grow up looking an awful lot like his rapist father. Imagine that, a daily reminder of what happened.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 May '12 21:01
    I can point out one clear instance of christian so-called compassion:

Going to all kinds of extremes to stop abortions up to and including killing the abortion doctors. Yet when the baby is born, these so-called compassionate people drop the issue like a hot rock, going on the the next pursuit.

Where is the compassion and support for the new mom or t ...[text shortened]... e and now the anti-abortion people are nowhere to be found. Yessir, great religion is Paulism.

Yeah, it's amazing how many Christians do that and none of them suffer any mental illness at all.

Where is the compassion and support for the new mom or the help in dealing with her issues like if a child is born as the result of rape. That is not a theoretical debate with me, one of my son's gf had a baby as a result of rape and now the anti-abortion people are nowhere to be found. Yessir, great religion is Paulism.

You are right. Churches offer absolutely absolutely no support for women. There are no Christian orphanages, no Christian adoption services and absolutely no Christian counselling services. Not even at a policy level do any Christians advocate for welfare support of mothers or any services for rape-victims.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree