1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 18:07
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Give me a break. There are no 'mind police'. America is a Christian majority country—if people generally vote for those whose views conform to their own, it only makes sense that most politicians in America would be (or at least claim to be) Christian. In Muslim democracies, for the same reason, it would be difficult for a Christian or an atheist to b ...[text shortened]... n determining whether an individual is capable of compassionate and progressive thought.
    I do not believe the majority of America are Christian.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 23:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Last atheist PM?
    Fair point; the problem is that atheism is simply not popular enough to warrant politicians lying about being part of it.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 06:271 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, sorry. I don't buy it. His schtick is admittedly a bit too Old Testament for me, to be frank. All the stuff about "chosen" people, and smiting ones enemies down, not wanting to be forsaken by God, destroying "enemy" gods or the gods of their enemies, etc. It's a kind portentous, macho babble that strikes me as quite common among certain Christian fact uckles-and-no-sense-of humour Mr Hannity might have been having his leg pulled too.
    Obama may not have a hatred for white people as his pastor seems to of
    had, but it is clear from his speeches that his Muslim background has
    given him much respect for the Muslim faith.

YouTube
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 06:471 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    ...it is clear from his speeches that [Obama's] Muslim background has
    That's good, then, isn't it?

Better, surely, than presidential hopeful Herman Cain who has promised to completely exclude American Muslims from his administration, if elected?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 14:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    That's good, then, isn't it?

Better, surely, than presidential hopeful Herman Cain who has promised to completely exclude American Muslims from his administration, if elected?
    Not in my opinion, since Islam is a religion of force and belief in a false
    god, Allah, the god of the Quran (Koran). I would cetainly prefer Herman
    Cain over four more years of Obama.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:45
    Not in my opinion, since Islam is a religion of force and belief in a false
    god, Allah, the god of the Quran (Koran). I would cetainly prefer Herman
    Cain over four more years of Obama.
    But Herman Cain promises to actively discriminate against fellow Americans on account of their religion. You surely don't condone that?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:082 edits
    Obama may not have a hatred for white people as his pastor seems to of
    had, but it is clear from his speeches that his Muslim background has

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY
    What do you think about the fact that when the Apostle Paul wrote Romans 13 Nero was Emporer of Rome ?

Ie - "Let every person be subject to the authorities over [him], for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are ordained by God. (v1)

So then he who resists the authority opposes God's ordination, and those who oppose ill receive judgment to themselves. (v2)

For he is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, fear; he does not bear the sword in vain, for he is a servant of God, and avenger for wrath to him who practices evil. (v.4)

Therefore it is necessary to be subject, not only because of wrath but also because of conscience. (v.4)

For because of this you also pay taxes; for they are God's officers, attending constantly tot his very thing. (v.6)

Render to all the things due: tax to whom tax is due, custom to whom custom is due, fear to whom hear is due, honor to whom honor is due."

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves the other has fulfilled the law." (v.8)

How do you feel about the fact that someone like Ceasar Nero was then emperor of the Roman Empire when Paul wrote these words to the church in Rome ?
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 20:35
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I do not believe the majority of America are Christian.
    Statistically, the majority of Americans, ~70%, claim to be Christian.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 22:47
    Corrected typos:

"Let every person be subject to the authorities over [him], for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are ordained by God. (v1)

So then he who resists the authority opposes God's ordination, and those who oppose will receive judgment to themselves. (v2)

For he is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, fear; he does not bear the sword in vain, for he is a servant of God, and avenger for wrath to him who practices evil. (v.4)

Therefore it is necessary to be subject, not only because of wrath but also because of conscience. (v.4)

For because of this you also pay taxes; for they are God's officers, attending constantly to this very thing. (v.6)

Render to all the things due: tax to whom tax is due, custom to whom custom is due, fear to whom hear is due, honor to whom honor is due."

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves the other has fulfilled the law." (v.8)
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 00:08
    Originally posted by jaywill
    What do you think about the fact that when the Apostle Paul wrote [b]Romans 13 Nero was Emporer of Rome ?

Ie - "Let every person be subject to the authorities over [him], for there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are ordained by God. (v1)

So then he who resists the authority opposes God's ordination, and those who oppo ...[text shortened]... ro was then emperor of the Roman Empire when Paul wrote these words to the church in Rome ?
    What else was Paul going to do since they were living under a different
    governmental system than we have here in the USA. We have political
    parties that we can support to elect our leaders. We very seldom elect
    the best leaders because most people don't care and don't even bother
    to vote. Many feel that their vote does not count or they are like the JWs
    who think God is automatically going to put in the best leader without
    any action from the people. How stupid can people be? It is ridiculous
    to take one of Paul's statements out of the context and try to apply it
    to our situation today. Nero was a terrible leader for the Romans back
    then and it may have been what God felt the Romans deserved. I don't
    know. But we do not have to settle for a leader like that today.
  11. St. Peter's
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 16:47
    What do you think about the fact that when the Apostle Paul wrote [b]Romans 13 Nero was Emporer of Rome ?

So then he who resists the authority opposes God's ordination, and those who oppo ...[text shortened]... ro was then emperor of the Roman Empire when Paul wrote these words to the church in Rome ?
    OH SA-NAP!
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 17:171 edit
    Originally posted by Doward
    OH SA-NAP!
    lol !

Coming out of the 60s as a young Christian, in a town which was a college campus hotbed of SDS (Students For a Democratic Society), I really didn't like that chapter of Romans. One of the sermons of Evangelist Tom Skinner which caught my ear was called "Jesus Christ, God's Revolutionary".

However the political climate shifts and wans, I regard Romans 13 as the oracles of God. The position of leadership has to be respected.

I think I have found peace in the way of praying earnestly for kings and those who are in power, presidents, governors, congressmen, regardless of my personal political taste.

The Apostle Paul again - "I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings be made on behalf of all men; On behalf of kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all godliness and gravity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of our Savior God ..." (1 Timothy 2:1-3)

Paul's instruction to his junior apostle was "first of all" the prayer life of a Christian should include intercessions on behalf of men in high positions of government.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 01:13
    lol !

Coming out of the 60s as a young Christian, in a town which was a college campus hotbed of SDS (Students For a Democratic Society), I really didn't like that chapter of Romans. One of the sermons of Evangelist Tom Skinner which caught my ear was called "Jesus Christ, God's Revolutionary".

However the political climate shifts and wans, I rega ...[text shortened]... hristian should include intercessions on behalf of men in high positions of government.
    Obama needs it, for our sake. Amen.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 11:471 edit
    Obama needs it, for our sake. Amen.
    That's the point brother. All the leaders need it.

I hope you don't mean the we need not pray for a Ronald Reagan, because, well, he doesn't need it !

Pray for those in high positions - period. That's the apostolic teaching.

(You don't have to vote for em. But you should rid your heart of malice and pray for them.)
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 18:06
    That's the point brother. All the leaders need it.

I hope you don't mean the we need not pray for a Ronald Reagan, because, well, he doesn't need it !

Pray for those in high positions - period. That's the apostolic teaching.

(You don't have to vote for em. But you should rid your heart of malice and pray for them.)
    That is hard to do when I am a conservative and he is a liberal and stands
    for so many things I oppose. He hasn't been as liberal as I was affraid, but
    that is probably due to the conservatives in congress that are holding him
    back. I would be afraid what would happen if he were a dictator. I can not
    understand how he could have been given the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree