1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:17
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    What are you saying here then?

[b]If God can move from a state of omnipotence to non-omnipotence, then God would no longer be God by definition. So then the argument, "God can create a rock he can not lift," requires God to be God to create the rock and non-God to be unable to lift the rock. Or God is not omnipotent to start, because a non-omnipote ...[text shortened]... l.

It seems that you state the illogical qualities of God's omnipotence quite clearly.[/b]
    If you understand what I said, then try putting it into your own words. It is the question that is illogical - not the qualities of God.
  2. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:20
    Originally posted by telerion
    First off, dj2, probably in a rush to stamp out evil doers, has completely missed the point of your argument.

In my opinion, the theist who wants to endow his/her idol with the attribute of omnipotence should either stick to the definition that omnipotence means "the ability to do anything that is logically possible" (conceding that their deity is boun ...[text shortened]... nk that we should consider the second case above. From there, we dive into meaninglessness.

I think saying it is nonsense to consider that omnipotence need not me bound by logic, while literally correct, doesn't amount to an argument.

To me, if everything must be bound by logic, then logic is itself an absolute truth. I don't see what evidence we have for this. To us logic seems sensible but we are built that way. It certainly seems a useful tool and might even be the altar to which everything must bow but it might not be. We would certainly be a bit lost without it but maybe we know as little about the universe as we do because we have to use a primitive tool like logic to understand it. It is an argument, I'm not saying it's right but it does have to be considered.

If we demote logic a bit then that whole God/rock thing may not be a problem.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:26
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I see what you are saying now. The definition of God you gave uses "conceived as" because the definition of God it provides is not universal. Some people have different conceptions of God. But then "conceived as" does not mean God in not absolute, only that some people think he is not omnipotent, or he has other characteristics then omnipotents. But i ...[text shortened]... n of God being omnipotent, then by that definition God is absolute by definition of omnipotents.
    If omnipotence is a requirement of being God and choosing not to be omnipotent would change the requirments of godhood not the fact of it.
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:28
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]If God is all-powerful, can He create a rock so big that He can't lift it?

This question has popped up quite a few times. The answer:

No. God cannot do the logically impossible, any more than He can act out of character with Himself. God cannot, for instance, create a square circle, stop being good, or cease being God. God can do everything t ...[text shortened]... iracles. For further study, see Jeremiah 32:17, Matthew 19:26, Hebrews 6:18, and 2 Timothy 2:13.[/b]
    After much thinking and searching there is something that GOD cannot do. GOD cannot lie.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:29
    I hate it when my post is stuck as last of a page (3). It always seems to me that nobody reads the last post of a page.

Am I wrong? 🙄
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:30
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    After much thinking and searching there is something that GOD cannot do. GOD cannot lie.
    Didn't he lie to Abraham?
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:30
    Originally posted by Wheely
    I think saying it is nonsense to consider that omnipotence need not me bound by logic, while literally correct, doesn't amount to an argument.

To me, if everything must be bound by logic, then logic is itself an absolute truth. I don't see what evidence we have for this. To us logic seems sensible but we are built that way. It certainly seems a useful ...[text shortened]... be considered.

If we demote logic a bit then that whole God/rock thing may not be a problem.
    I agree. Claiming that God is bound by logic begs the question: "Then from where does logic come?"
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Colleti, you said something similar, so this is also addressed to you.

According to my view of the Christian God, it is God who defines omnipotence, not omnipotence that defines God.

Therefore omnipotence is a state that is achievable only by God, but God is not omnipotence as he is an entity (spiritual, material or both) and omnipotence is merely a ch ...[text shortened]... n if that includes setting himself limits, thus losing his omnipotence but not ceasing to exist.
    God does not define omnipotence, you have that backwards. Omnipotence is a characteristic of God. If a being is omnipotent, omniscient, then that being is God. If a being is not omnipotent or omniscient, that being is not God.

Cut a ball into half, and it is no longer a ball. Remove a leg of a triangle, it is no longer a triangle. Remove a defining characteristic from God, and he would no longer be God.

Now a omnipotent and omniscient being is necessarily eternal. An eternal being is immutable. God can not become not-God because God is immutable because the definition of omnipotent and omniscient are absolutes.

Now you might conceive of a god that is less than omnipotent or omniscient, but that would not be the same concept, not the same god. That would be a mutable god who could lose or gain power. But an absolute God can not gain power nor lose it.
  9. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:38
    Originally posted by telerion
    I agree. Claiming that God is bound by logic begs the question: "Then from where does logic come?"
    I don't think logic "comes from" anywhere. It is not a created thing or an entity, it is simply an axiomatic truth. One cannot argue against logic without using logic. It is like math, it was not really invented, it was discovered. The value of Pi was not invented or created.

10. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:39
    If you understand what I said, then try putting it into your own words. It is the question that is illogical - not the qualities of God.
    The question is not illogical, only the concept of omnipotence. The question states something that most certainly can be done; a being need not be omnipotent to accomplish it, he only needs the ability to create. However, it is when the concept of omnipotence is thrown into the mix that things get illogical. When you taste the soup you are cooking and discover it to be bad, I would think that you would blame that last thing you put in.

... --- ...
  11. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:39
    I don't think logic "comes from" anywhere. It is not a created thing or an entity, it is simply an axiomatic truth. One cannot argue against logic without using logic. It is like math, it was not really invented, it was discovered. The value of Pi was not invented or created.

So mathematics existed before God?
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:401 edit

Then logic is independent of God.

edit: In the beginning, God, not-God, and logic.
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:421 edit
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    The question is not illogical, only the concept of omnipotence. The question states something that most certainly can be done; a being need not be omnipotent to accomplish it, he only needs the ability to create. However, it is when ...[text shortened]... that you would blame that last thing you put in.

... --- ...
    Think of it this way: can a circle be a circle and not a circle at the same time. Why or why not?
  14. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:46
    Think of it this way: can a circle be a circle and not a circle at the same time. Why or why not?
    The question is not "Is God God," but instead "is God omnipotent."
    If some told me that a circle has 100 angles and he knows this because he believes it to be in the definition of a circle, I would still question him even if he refuses to consider the possibility that he was misinformed all his life.

... --- ...
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 May '05 22:48
    God does not define omnipotence, you have that backwards. Omnipotence is a characteristic of God. If a being is omnipotent, omniscient, then that being is God. If a being is not omnipotent or omniscient, that being is not God.

Cut a ball into half, and it is no longer a ball. Remove a leg of a triangle, it is no longer a triangle. Remove a defining c ...[text shortened]... mutable god who could lose or gain power. But an absolute God can not gain power nor lose it.
    Omnipotence is a characteristic of God.
    You are right about me saying that God defines omnipotence, that is wrong. Afterwards, I actually said that Omnipotence is a characteristic of God. Sorry if I didn't express myself very well.

We agree that omnipotence is a characteristic of God

Cut a ball into half, and it is no longer a ball. Remove a leg of a triangle, it is no longer a triangle. Remove a defining characteristic from God, and he would no longer be God.

This is where I believe you are making a mistake. Entities do not cease to be who they are because they lose one of their characteristics. If a man is paralyzed he does not cease to be who he is. If he loses two arms he does not cease to be John.

Entities are not the sum of their definable characteristics.

Now a omnipotent and omniscient being is necessarily eternal. An eternal being is immutable.

An immutable being cannot be omnipotent as he cannot change himself. (And if he is all, then he could not change anything. But that's another point)

But an absolute God can not gain power nor lose it.
    By definition he cannot gain it. But he can still lose it. Why not? If God has the power to lose power he is still the same entity known as God, only the characteristics of God would change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree