The rock question

The rock question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
[b]If God cannot control logic, then perhaps God is not omnipotent. We only have our own word that He is.

We have his word:

Matthew 19:26
"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."
[/b]
And who wrote this?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
Is that how you view God?
I don't "view" God, I'm an atheist. I'm talking about omnipotence.

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
And who wrote this?
Matthew inspired by the Holy Spirit of God.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 May 05

[b]If God cannot control logic, then perhaps God is not omnipotent. We only have our own word that He is.

We have his word:

Matthew 19:26
"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."
[/b]
That Scripture is in direct contradiction to your statement:

No. God cannot do the logically impossible

Jesus said "with God all things are possible". ALL would include the "logically impossible". Thus, Jesus says you are wrong.

N

The sky

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

That brings me back to the question I asked you in another thread ("Why Muffy does not exist" ) and which you still haven't answered: Even if I were to accept that it was indeed god speaking through Matthew, how do I know he doesn't lie?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
That Scripture is in direct contradiction to your statement:

No. God cannot do the logically impossible

Jesus said "with God all things are possible". ALL would include the "logically impossible". Thus, Jesus says you are wrong.

Don't bother dj with Christ's words ( even tho it was his cite) he will find a Paulian contradiction to toss at you to prove ,once again (to himself) , that you don't know anything about Christ words.

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by Nordlys
That brings me back to the question I asked you in another thread ("Why Muffy does not exist" ) and which you still haven't answered: Even if I were to accept that it was indeed god speaking through Matthew, how do I know he doesn't lie?
Do you have any reason to suggest that God might be lying?

N

The sky

Moves
18 May 05

Do you have any reason to suggest that God might be lying?
It's very convenient to have others think you are omnipotent. Dictators often lie about their powers to make those they rule over more submissive. Or god is just lying for fun. I am sure there could be other reasons. Of course there is also the possibility that god honestly believes himself that he is omnipotent even though he isn't.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 May 05

NO , NO a thousand time NO.
Mathew is directly quoting Christ, that is not a recanting of a mystical experience: that is the word of the Kingdom, period.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

[b]If God is all-powerful, can He create a rock so big that He can't lift it?

This question has popped up quite a few times. The answer:

No. God cannot do the logically impossible, any more than He can act out of character with ...[text shortened]... e Jeremiah 32:17, Matthew 19:26, Hebrews 6:18, and 2 Timothy 2:13.[/b]
The following was posted about 1 week ago:

Originally posted by telerion
By omnipotence, God can do anything that is logically possible.

Direct response by dj2
Where did you hear this? Omnipotence is defined as "Having unlimited or universal power."

Direct response by telerion
Oh, so then in your view God can create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it.

I think that there is some combination of two effects occuring.

1) You read way too much xtian propoganda and never analyze a scrap of it critically.
2) You make crap up as you go along based upon what is convenient for the moment.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

The following was posted about 1 week ago:

[b]By omnipotence, God can do anything that is logically possible.

Direct response by dj2
Where did you hear this? Omnipotence is defined ...[text shortened]... you go along based upon what is convenient for the moment.

[/b]
Game. Set. Match.

I would still like to hear your comment on my argument that omnipotence implies the ability to forfeit it (permanently or temporarily).

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by Palynka
Game. Set. Match.

I would still like to hear your comment on my argument that omnipotence implies the ability to forfeit it (permanently or temporarily).

First off, dj2, probably in a rush to stamp out evil doers, has completely missed the point of your argument.

In my opinion, the theist who wants to endow his/her idol with the attribute of omnipotence should either stick to the definition that omnipotence means "the ability to do anything that is logically possible" (conceding that their deity is bounded by logic) or just flat claim that their god can do anything, logical or not (Here all statements about the deity become meaningless.)

If we take the first case, then the next logical question is "Is it logically possible to move from a state of omnipotence to one of impotence?" If it can be shown that it is logically possible, then your argument seems to hold. I'm not so sure though that it can be shown. I've given it some careful thought, and I think that it would imply that omnipotence would have to be both itself and its negation.
There are others on this site though that are better trained than I to answer your question. I'm interested in what they would say. You've asked an interesting question.

As for the second case, it is nonsense. Once god is unbounded by logic then truth statements become meaningless.

I think problems arise for dj2 since his god has many more attributes than just omnipotence. Not the least of these problems is that his god is supposed to be the creator of reality, which makes us think that we should consider the second case above. From there, we dive into meaninglessness.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
18 May 05

If God can move from a state of omnipotence to non-omnipotence, then God would no longer be God by definition. So then the argument, "God can create a rock he can not lift," requires God to be God to create the rock and non-God to be unable to lift the rock. Or God is not omnipotent to start, because a non-omnipotent being might be able to create something he could not lift. In either case, the "he" that can not lift the rock in not God because he is not omnipotent. The argument is either a contradiction, or is fallacious by equivocation. Regardless of God being logical or not, the argument itself is illogical.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
18 May 05

Matthew was a man, right?

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
If God can move from a state of omnipotence to non-omnipotence, then God would no longer be God by definition. So then the argument, "God can create a rock he can not lift," requires God to be God to create the rock and non-God to be unable to lift the rock. Or God is not omnipotent to start, because a non-omnipotent being might be able to create somethi ...[text shortened]... us by equivocation. Regardless of God being logical or not, the argument itself is illogical.
Then the definition of God, or at least your definition of God, is illogical.