The thief on the cross

The thief on the cross

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
[b]BTW, what Jesus and Paul said is consistent;

Then there's reality.

His sacrificial death and Resurrection hadn’t happened nor, consequently, was the New Covenant in effect yet.

The New Covenant was in effect with Jesus' preaching of His gospel during His ministry. The gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry IS the New Covenant.[/b]
If the New Covenant was not Jesus Christ’s blood sacrifice on the cross for the remission of sins and instead was only His ministry, how do you explain these verses?

“And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.”

(Luke 22:19-20)

“And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.“

(Matthew 26:26-28)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Okay, let's flip it over.

I've known sincere Christians who genuinely believe in Christ but have done very bad things. I appreciate it is easier to dismiss such Christians as insincere to explain away their bad deeds (or lack of good deeds) but the truth of the matter is that even sincere Christians can live a life lacking in good works in the false belief their salvation is guaranteed.
No they can’t because if they sincerely accepted Christ into their heart, they would have received the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit, which would change their hearts and behavior.

That’s not to say they will be perfect or sinless, because as long as they are living in the flesh (i.e. mortal bodies) they will be subject to the desires and temptations of the flesh, which are obviously more than just sexual. And remember that God created men and women to have free will and that doesn’t change when one sincerely accepts Christ and God’s Holy Spirit indwells them.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @romans1009
.. Why do you and rajk always try to separate sincere belief in Christ from good works?
Maybe we got the idea from James.
Maybe they are in fact two separate things.
Good works
Sincere Faith.
See they even sound different 😀

Not too sure the bible has sincere faith.
It has dead faith and living faith.

Living faith is the one which automatically includes good works.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
An atheist has no hand in the game. It's an unbiased and rational translation.
As an atheist, you are the “natural man” referred to in 1 Corinthians 2:14 and lack the knowledge and discernment to understand spiritual matters. That’s not a put-down; it’s just reality. How can s carnally-minded person understand spiritual matters? They’re two separate planes.

“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

(1 Corinthians 2:14)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Good works
Sincere Faith.

Sincere faith produces good works and an aversion to sinning due to the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Feb 18

Sincere faith produces good works and an aversion to sinning due to the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit.
Who says that apart from you?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Feb 18

Good works
Sincere Faith.

BOOM

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Who says that apart from you?
Are you asking who says God’s Holy Spirit indwells believers, or is your question on the purpose and/or power of God’s indwelt Holy Spirit?

There are plenty of verses on both; I just want to know which of the two you’re questioning.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
BOOM
Instead of “BOOM,” try, “Oh, snap!” It’s funnier.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Are you asking who says God’s Holy Spirit indwells believers, or is your question on the purpose and/or power of God’s indwelt Holy Spirit?

There are plenty of verses on both; I just want to know which of the two you’re questioning.
I think you previously wrote or indicated that you believe God’s Holy Spirit indwells believers, so I’m guessing your question was reflected by the second question I wrote.

Here’s a good passage from Galatians on that:

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”

(Galatians 5:16-25)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Feb 18

Instead of “BOOM,” try, “Oh, snap!” It’s funnier.
Tell me what to do again. Go on

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Tell me what to do again. Go on
What does “Fortnite Kid” mean?

T

Moves
22 Feb 18
1 edit

If the New Covenant was not Jesus Christ’s blood sacrifice on the cross for the remission of sins and instead was only His ministry, how do you explain these verses?

“And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Likewise also the cup after supper, ...[text shortened]... d of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.“

(Matthew 26:26-28)
To understand those passages you need to understand John 6.

In John 6 Jesus also speaks of "eating", "bread", "body/flesh", "drinking" and "blood". wherein Jesus uses the metaphor of "eating flesh" and "drinking blood" to refer to " the words that I have spoken to you". The metaphor in short is that one "eats" and "drinks" His words so that they will abide in Him.

So when Jesus tells them to eat His body (flesh) and drink His blood, He is really speaking of them eating and drinking His words just as He does in John 6.

With the metaphor in mind: In Luke 22, Jesus is actually saying:
"This cup is the new testament in my [words], which is shed for you.

With the metaphor in mind: In Matthew 26, Jesus is actually saying:
For [these are the words] of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Consider that "testament" is often translated as "covenant".

Consider the definition of "covenant":
The Idea of Covenant. The term "covenant" is of Latin origin (con venire), meaning a coming together. It presupposes two or more parties who come together to make a contract, agreeing on promises, stipulations, privileges, and responsibilities.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/covenant/

As such, it makes perfect sense that the New Covenant was conveyed with words. The gospel preach by Jesus during His ministry comprises the "promises, stipulations, privileges, and responsibilities" set down by God for His people.

This makes so much more sense than perverting it into Jesus making some really awkward reference to " Jesus Christ’s blood sacrifice on the cross for the remission of sins" which was not a part of Jesus' ministry.

If you're going to respond to this post, then please actually address the points made above instead of your usual ineffectual question asking and/or "troll" accusations.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Feb 18

What does “Fortnite Kid” mean?
It means I clutch Fortnite .

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @thinkofone
To understand those passages you need to understand John 6.

In John 6 Jesus also speaks of "eating", "bread", "body/flesh", "drinking" and "blood". wherein Jesus uses the metaphor of "eating flesh" and "drinking blood" to refer to " the words that I have spoken to you". The metaphor in short is that one "eats" and "drinks" His words so that they will ...[text shortened]... points made above instead of your usual ineffectual question asking and/or "troll" accusations.
I understand what you’re saying and appreciate your taking the time to say it; I just think you have to disregard too much of the New Testament - including verses in John chapter 6 - for it to be accurate.

Jesus refers to Himself as God and the Messiah, says He came down from heaven, says He is giving His life for the world, says to believe in Him for everlasting life.

And in this verse from John 6, Jesus identifies the bread as His body, not His words:

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

(John 6:51)

I think the bread reference is made due to God providing manna from heaven after the Jews fled Egypt in the Old Testament. Just as God sustained the Jews with bread then, so is Jesus, by giving His life, sustaining the Jews (and Gentiles) of the 1st century (and obviously subsequent centuries.)