1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 04:072 edits
    Assuming that atheism is true, what would be the top 10 benefits of being an atheist? Here are a few that I can think of:

    1. No moral absolutes, I can make up my own good and evil.
    2. No afterlife judgement, I can do whatever the hell I want, if I don't get caught it's cool no need to worry about hell.
    3. Freedom from the shackles of religion, since there is no God I can be the god of my own universe.
    4. Since there is no spiritual truth, I can make up my own and my truth and it is just as valid as yours.
    5. Since I can define my atheism as a lack of belief and not an active belief I don't have to defend it against scrutiny.
    6?

    That's all I got, please add to the list.
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Feb '17 04:35
    If you go back to 2015 you will find that a poster called Grampy Bobby started umpteen threads like this. If you are genuinely curious about what responses it garnered and what conversations sprouted, there is plenty of reading material there.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    09 Feb '17 05:09
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    1. No moral absolutes, I can make up my own good and evil..
    Is the killing of children absolutely morally wrong?
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:131 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is the killing of children absolutely morally wrong?
    If you are an atheist, and you believe there are no moral absolutes, then clearly the answer is no.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    09 Feb '17 05:15
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If you are an atheist, and you believe there are no moral absolutes, then clearly the answer is no.
    No, you have claimed that having no moral absolutes is a benefit of being an atheist. So for YOU personally as a professed Christian, is the killing of children absolutely morally wrong?
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No, you have claimed that having no moral absolutes is a benefit of being an atheist. So for YOU personally as a professed Christian, is the killing of children absolutely morally wrong?
    This thread is about the benefits of atheism, if you wish to start a thread on the benefits of Christianity feel free to do so.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Feb '17 05:21
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    This thread is about the benefits of atheism, if you wish to start a thread on the benefits of Christianity feel free to do so.
    So, in your view, is being able to believe that the killing of children is not absolutely always morally wrong one of "the benefits of Christianity" then?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86400
    09 Feb '17 05:23
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    This thread is about the benefits of atheism, if you wish to start a thread on the benefits of Christianity feel free to do so.
    As you well know and are clearly uncomfortable with, I'm pointing out that your number 1 claimed benefit of being an atheist is something you have also in common with them
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:273 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As you well know and are clearly uncomfortable with, I'm pointing out that your number 1 claimed benefit of being an atheist is something you have also in common with them
    How did you make the jump from Geester thinks FMJ should believe 'it's not always wrong to kill children' because Geester thinks the Bible say so, to FMJ has no moral absolutes? 🙄
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    So, in your view, is being able to believe that the killing of children is [b]not absolutely always morally wrong one of "the benefits of Christianity" then?[/b]
    Instead of hijacking this thread, why don't you start another thread on the benefits of Christianity?
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Feb '17 05:522 edits
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Instead of hijacking this thread, why don't you start another thread on the benefits of Christianity?
    I am well aware of the benefits of Christianity and I have spoken about them numerous times on this forum.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am well aware of the benefits of Christianity and I have spoken about them numerous times on this forum.
    Would you care to speak about the benefits of atheism, since that is what this thread is about?
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Feb '17 05:552 edits
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Would you care to speak about the benefits of atheism, since that is what this thread is about?
    If you really think that people here are going to fall for the notion that your ulterior motive for starting this thread is somehow, in fact, not about you extolling the benefits of Christianity, then you are being naive.
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    09 Feb '17 05:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you really think that people here are going to fall for the notion that your ulterior motive for you starting this thread is about, in fact, you not extolling the benefits of Christianity, then you are being naive.
    If you disagree with any of the benefits I have listed for atheism feel free to tell me why.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    09 Feb '17 06:01
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If you disagree with any of the benefits I have listed for atheism feel free to tell me why.
    Your OP is a complete retread of stuff on Thread 171350 Thread 170817 Thread 171626 Thread 171595 and numerous threads in 2016 during which you showed absolutely zero inclination to engage in anything other than a tedious parody version of debate and discussion. I have no reason to doubt that you are going to behave in exactly the same way on this thread.
Back to Top