The top 10 benefits of atheism

The top 10 benefits of atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
09 Feb 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
I have seen both versions used, the gist is the same.
Yeah, that seems to be how language and grammar is being used these days. "You understand what I mean, don't you?"

I also see "I could of said..." instead of "I could have said..." more and more these days. The gist is the same, but it still makes my eyes bleed.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Yeah, that seems to be how language and grammar is being used these days. "You understand what I mean, don't you?"

I also see "I could of said..." instead of "I could have said..." more and more these days. The gist is the same, but it still makes my eyes bleed.
"I could of said" is grammatically incorrect. "I could care less..." isn't incorrect, at the semantic level to my mind it makes sense. "I couldn't care less.", means that the speaker is utterly indifferent to whatever is being referred to. Whereas "I could care less...", has the implication of "...but not much.". So the meaning is the same.

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by DeepThought
"I could of said" is grammatically incorrect. "I could care less..." isn't incorrect, at the semantic level to my mind it makes sense. "I couldn't care less.", means that the speaker is utterly indifferent to whatever is being referred to. Whereas "I could care less...", has the implication of "...but not much.". So the meaning is the same.
I have never knowingly, willfully or deliberately said or written "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" in my entire life.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
I could care less whether you want it or not. 😉
No, I don't suppose you have. (said "I could care less", I mean.)

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
I've been able to help people like chaney3 in real life a few times. You do it by confronting them and not by indulging them. Thanks though for your little bit of sonhouse-ness though. 😕
Do you also help homeless people in this way? Confronting and not indulging them?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Yes and you are not really Hong Kong Phooey but Suzianne the mild mannered janitor!
Lighten up buttercup your face is always gloomy! Do you not realise that its an offence to
come before the King of the Easy Riders with a gloomy countenance?
"King of the who-zit whats?"

King of your own imagination, maybe.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
I have never knowingly, willfully or deliberately said or written "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" in my entire life.
I wasn't accusing you of saying it. I was pointing out that there is nothing syntactically wrong with it, and it has a semantic edge over "Couldn't care less." in my view. Also I'm quite enjoying the paradoxical nature of the discussion - contributors caring about the correct way to say: "I couldn't care less.".

w

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
If you go back to 2015 you will find that a poster called Grampy Bobby started umpteen threads like this. If you are genuinely curious about what responses it garnered and what conversations sprouted, there is plenty of reading material there.
6. Can complain about threads like this by comparing you to Grampa Bobby.

rc

Moves
10 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
"King of the who-zit whats?"

King of your own imagination, maybe.
There that's better no more gloomy faces please! Not in the presence of the King of the Easy Riders at least. 😀

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
Great point!
When an atheist says 'you're just like that other Christian poster' it usually stings. When a theist says 'you're just like that other atheist poster' it typically doesn't work.

In fact, in a recent thread, divegester got offended because he thought he had been compared in such a way even when he had not.

T

Moves
10 Feb 17

Whereas "I could care less...", has the implication of "...but not much.". So the meaning is the same.

"...has the implication of...". Nice try..

While it may be grammatically correct, it doesn't make sense logically when the intended meaning is they actually could not care less, or, more precisely, that they don’t care.

No matter how you try to spin it, it still won't make sense logically.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
10 Feb 17

You start a thread about the benefits of atheism, and you have all the atheists up in arms. And FMF of course. Imagine if you start one on harmfulness of Atheism.

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
Do you also help homeless people in this way? Confronting and not indulging them?
You are free to indulge chaney3 if you choose to, of course.

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

If Fetchmyjunk's interest is genuine he might find those 2015 threads interesting.

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

I wasn't accusing you of saying it.
No, it didn't occur to me that you were. It was Great King Rat who cuffed me round the ear. I make loads of errors when I post using my relatively small phone. 😉