The top 10 benefits of atheism

The top 10 benefits of atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
To lack belief in God appears to be a defensive position since the assertive atheist positions are wrought with logical problems. If you says you "lack belief" in God, then it appears your goal is to maintain a position that is unattackable since then you have no position to attack.
The problem is that "lacking belief" in God is an intellectual positio ...[text shortened]... be nothing. If you assert that you lack belief, you are asserting a position of lack of belief.
Do you not believe that plagiarism is a form of deceit?

F

Moves
10 Feb 17

The problem is that "lacking belief" in God is an intellectual position made by a choice to "lack belief." Therefore, it is a position since it is the result of a choice.
Do you claim, then, that you are capable of consciously taking this "intellectual position"? That you could just choose to lack belief in your god figure? Would you be able to demonstrate this for, say, 24 hours?

Moves
11 Feb 17
1 edit

To lack belief in God appears to be a defensive position since the assertive atheist positions are wrought with logical problems. If you says you "lack belief" in God, then it appears your goal is to maintain a position that is unattackable since then you have no position to attack.
The problem is that "lacking belief" in God is an intellectual positio ...[text shortened]... be nothing. If you assert that you lack belief, you are asserting a position of lack of belief.
When I look in my closet of beliefs, I find no belief that a deity exists.

But there is an interesting twist. Given some of the attributes said to belong to some proposed deities, I also find no belief that no deity exists.

I can say that I find belief that a deity whose existence is logically impossible does not exist.

But if someone creates a narrative about a particular deity and says that deity exists, I may not have the mental skills to sort out whether that deity is logically possible. Further, different people have different narratives, and some of them claim to be talking about the same deity. And the capper is that some people freely acknowledge that their deity's narrative is not fully comprehensible to humans.

So that's what I think about the matter, at present.

Carry on.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by JS357
When I look in my closet of beliefs, I find no belief that a deity exists.

But there is an interesting twist. Given some of the attributes said to belong to some proposed deities, I also find no belief that no deity exists.

I can say that I find belief that a deity whose existence is logically impossible does not exist.

But if someone creates a narra ...[text shortened]... y comprehensible to humans.

So that's what I think about the matter, at present.

Carry on.
Not fully comprehensible by humans, it was designed that way, but by humans to be as dense as possible, as many interpretations as possible so they can claim a deity inspired it when in fact all they are really interested in (the upper ranks of religion) is creating a power base of political power and to oh so conveniently put them on the top of the food chain, best transport, women, housing, food, money and all that. THAT is their motivation, nothing to do with a deity.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Great King Rat
A lack of belief is caused by a lack of evidence. There, there's your reason.

Change our lack of belief by providing evidence. I double-dare you.
By lack of evidence do you mean none exists that you are willing to accept or that none exists at all?

But, if a person asked you what kind of things you'd accept, within reason, as evidence for God, what would you say? If you have nothing to offer, then you haven't thought your position through . . . and if you haven't done that, then can you honestly lay claim to the title atheist?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
The Bible does not provide an objective standard for the conception of God. There are tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity having different conceptions of God that are based on the Bible. Some are vastly different.

Without an objective standard for the conception of God, Christians have no objective standard for morality

For example, ...[text shortened]... is no objective standard for the conception of God, Christians end up making up their own truth.
The Bible does not provide an objective standard for the conception of God. There are tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity having different conceptions of God that are based on the Bible. Some are vastly different.

Maybe to you it doesn't. There are certain things that none of them differ on. For example as far as I know they all believe that God exists and that God will judge us by his objective standard. They may differ on some finer details of what certain aspects of that standard entails. But their difference of opinion doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Without an objective standard for the conception of God, Christians have no objective standard for morality.

I disagree,

For example, many Christians believe the Bible indicates that one should be against capital punishment, yet many other Christians believe the exact opposite.

That doesn't mean that there is no objective standard. People may obviously differ on some of the finer details.

As do Christians.

If God exists then he is the final judge on what is good and evil, even if some Christians may think that they are.

As believe many Christians. They believe that their salvation is guaranteed and/or they are forgiven for the asking.

That doesn't mean they won't be judged.

Since there is no objective standard for the conception of God, Christians end up being "the god of [their] own universe".

If a tower is at times hidden in the mist and people have different perspectives of what it looks like from different perspectives, it doesn't mean the tower doesn't exist.

Since there is no objective standard for the conception of God, Christians end up making up their own truth.

The Bible is the final authority. We cannot add or remove anything from it.

Moves
11 Feb 17

[b]The Bible does not provide an objective standard for the conception of God. There are tens of thousands of denominations of Christianity having different conceptions of God that are based on the Bible. Some are vastly different.

Maybe to you it doesn't. There are certain things that none of them differ on. For example as far as I know they all ...[text shortened]... ir own truth.[/b]

The Bible is the final authority. We cannot add or remove anything from it.[/b]
You do realise that 'differing on some finer details' negates any claim to absoluteness?

Infidel

Moves
11 Feb 17

By lack of evidence do you mean none exists that you are willing to accept or that none exists at all?

But, if a person asked you what kind of things you'd accept, within reason, as evidence for God, what would you say? If you have nothing to offer, then you haven't thought your position through . . . and if you haven't done that, then can you honestly lay claim to the title atheist?
By lack of evidence I mean I have never seen, read or heard anything that points to the existence of a god. Interestingly, there are also those theists who believe there can't be any evidence, since evidence negates the need for faith, a cornerstone of most religions.

It is not for me to tell you what kind of evidence I need. Provide me with what you believe is the best piece of evidence for god, and I tell you what I think of it.

The title atheist simply means a lack of belief in god. I don't have to do anything to lay claim to that title. It is the default position when one lacks a belief in a god.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You do realise that 'differing on some finer details' negates any claim to absoluteness?
All Christians agree to the following:

1. God exists.
2. The Bible is His revelation.
3. Certain things are always wrong regardless of what anyone may think.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by Great King Rat
By lack of evidence I mean I have never seen, read or heard anything that points to the existence of a god. Interestingly, there are also those theists who believe there can't be any evidence, since evidence negates the need for faith, a cornerstone of most religions.

It is not for me to tell you what kind of evidence I need. Provide me with what y ...[text shortened]... nything to lay claim to that title. It is the default position when one lacks a belief in a god.
Firstly do you act according to what you believe in or what you lack belief in?

Secondly, how would you define what truth is?

1.Truth is relative to the individual’s belief system
2.Truth is independent of our existence
3.Truth is what we agree is true
4. Truth is a statement or concept that corresponds to reality
5. Truth is the unveiling of actuality
6. There is no such thing as truth

If other, please specify:

Moves
11 Feb 17

1. God exists.
All atheists agree to the following:

1. God doesn't exist.

I guess that makes his non existence absolute then, hey?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
All atheists agree to the following:

1. God doesn't exist.

I guess that makes his non existence absolute then, hey?
Only problem is they don't believe in any absolutes.

Infidel

Moves
11 Feb 17

Firstly do you act according to what you believe in or what you lack belief in?

Secondly, how would you define what truth is?

1.Truth is relative to the individual’s belief system
2.Truth is independent of our existence
3.Truth is what we agree is true
4. Truth is a statement or concept that corresponds to reality
5. Truth is the unveiling of actuality
6. There is no such thing as truth

If other, please specify:
Both. If I believe in a god, then I might go to church because of that believe. If I lack a belief in a god, I might not feel the need to go to church.

2 and 4.

Are you going to provide evidence at some point?

Cape Town

Moves
11 Feb 17

1. God exists.
Wrong.
There are Christians that don't believe some or all of those. Of course you will just say 'but they are not True Christians, but then you are defining what 'Christian' means and not telling us what Christians believe.