1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Take it as a yes and explain. Why does 'truth' lead to eternal and absolute morality?
    Would it bother you to be jailed for life for a crime you didn't commit? Why?
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 23:182 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Would it bother you to be jailed for life for a crime you didn't commit? Why?
    Obviously, yes it would.

(As an aside I've heard that you get three square meals a day, have all the time in the world for reading and can study etc... Can't be all bad.)

Ooops: Why?

Because a judgement has been made that is flawed, or is based on flawed evidence. Clearly that is due to human fallacy of some kind.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 23:22
    Obviously, yes it would.

(As an aside I've heard that you get three square meals a day, have all the time in the world for reading and can study etc... Can't be all bad.)

Ooops: Why?

Because a judgement has been made that is flawed, or is based on flawed evidence. Clearly that is due to human fallacy of some kind.
    Why should you have any expectation that you receive a fair judgement?
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:09
    Why should you have any expectation that you receive a fair judgement?
    In this world? It surprises me that there is the amount of reasonable judgement that there is.... Look around you, how many people claim to know what is the 'right' way to live? How can all of them be right? Which is right, and how many others are deluded? That why I agree with your original statement - the truth will set you free.
    Anyway - go on.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:202 edits
    In this world? It surprises me that there is the amount of reasonable judgement that there is.... Look around you, how many people claim to know what is the 'right' way to live? How can all of them be right? Which is right, and how many others are deluded? That why I agree with your original statement - the truth will set you free.
    Anyway - go on.
    Are you saying it would bother you, yet you wouldn't have any expectation of receiving a fair judgement? So what is it that would bother you about not receiving a fair judgement?
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:30
    Are you saying it would bother you, yet you wouldn't have any expectation of receiving a fair judgement? So what is it that would bother you about not receiving a fair judgement?
    I would expect that somewhere in the midst of all this chaos on average I would be treated not too unfairly. I suppose if I had been in Iraq or Afganistan and was now in Gauntanamo, I would be annoyed that I couldn't even have pretended that I'd have had a fair trial.

On balance, I've been well and poorly treated. To be in prison for a framed murder, as opposed to the 50 Kg of coke I'd smuggled, mmmmmmmm. I'd appeal.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:36
    Anyway - go on.
    This reads as if you acknowledge that there is a 'truth' that would point to those who actually know the 'right' way to live vs. those who are deluded.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:372 edits
    I would expect that somewhere in the midst of all this chaos on average I would be treated not too unfairly. I suppose if I had been in Iraq or Afganistan and was now in Gauntanamo, I would be annoyed that I couldn't even have pretended that I'd have had a fair trial.

On balance, I've been well and poorly treated. To be in prison for a framed murder, as opposed to the 50 Kg of coke I'd smuggled, mmmmmmmm. I'd appeal.
    This reads as though you feel that you should have a right to receive a fair trial. Why?
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:44
    This reads as though you feel that you should be able to receive a fair trial. Why?
    Not really. Some will, some will get off, some are convicted who it is later shown were not culpable of the charge.

The system is setup by fallable humans.

re
    This reads as if you acknowledge that there is a 'truth' that would point to those who actually know the 'right' way to live vs. those who are deluded.

Well - let's say that self belief is a marvellous thing until it becomes more about how to tell others how to think. Each has to travel the pathway.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:572 edits
    Not really. Some will, some will get off, some are convicted who it is later shown were not culpable of the charge.

The system is setup by fallable humans.

re

Well - let's say that self belie ...[text shortened]... ntil it becomes more about how to tell others how to think. Each has to travel the pathway.
    You must've replied while I was editing the previous post. I changed it to 'have a right to' instead of 'be able to', since you're being so literal about everything.

You've lost me with your second paragraph. I have no idea what that has to do with there being a 'right' way to live. Are you having trouble separating the idea from the implementation?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 14:35
    You must've replied while I was editing the previous post. I changed it to 'have a right to' instead of 'be able to', since you're being so literal about everything.

You've lost me with your second paragraph. I have no idea what that has to do with there being a 'right' way to live. Are you having trouble separating the concept from the implementation?
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:27

You've lost me with your second paragraph. I have no idea what that has to do with there being a 'right' way to live. Are you having trouble separating the idea from the implementation?
    Gets a bit confusing sometimes with these edits etc.

(Forgive me for being literal. I have a background that includes validation; where you have to say exactly what is and is not, or you are assuming and all sorts of things go wrong. eg people get hurt)

Let's take it that I think it would be preferable to get a fair trial. Can you develop your point from there?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:54
    Gets a bit confusing sometimes with these edits etc.

(Forgive me for being literal. I have a background that includes validation; where you have to say exactly what is and is not, or you are assuming and all sorts of things go wrong. eg people get hurt)

Let's take it that I think it would be preferable to get a fair trial. Can you develop your point from there?
    Merely preferable?
  14. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 22:07
    Merely preferable?
    Am I being too realistic?

What was the choice of words...

I would expect a 'right' to a fair trial......
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:111 edit
    Am I being too realistic?

What was the choice of words...

I would expect a 'right' to a fair trial......
    Ideally you would be judged justly. Ideally everyone would be judged justly. Do you picture any time in the past, present or future where this wouldn't be the ideal?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree