1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    28 Dec '06 22:222 edits
    Free from what?

    What are the details of how this works?

    I imagine there are a lot of interesting theories as to the answer of both these questions out there.
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    3637
    28 Dec '06 23:52
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Free from what?

    What are the details of how this works?

    I imagine there are a lot of interesting theories as to the answer of both these questions out there.
    Free from delusions, of course. Amen.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    29 Dec '06 00:05
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Free from delusions, of course. Amen.
    Indeed. The sooner the lies of religion are scoured from the world, the better.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    3637
    29 Dec '06 00:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Indeed. The sooner the lies of religion are scoured from the world, the better.
    Any lies, my friend, not just religious lies.

    And get yourself a good drop of malt for Hogmanay...... I'll stand for that.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52614
    29 Dec '06 00:17
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Indeed. The sooner the lies of religion are scoured from the world, the better.
    I'll second and third that one..
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Dec '06 00:20
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Free from delusions, of course. Amen.
    What is the source of these delusions?

    Perhaps there is something deeper than delusions that one needs to be freed from and delusions are only a symptom.
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    3637
    29 Dec '06 00:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What is the source of these delusions?

    Perhaps there is something deeper than delusions that one needs to be freed from and delusions are only a symptom.
    what is there beyond truth?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    29 Dec '06 00:25
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Any lies, my friend, not just religious lies.

    And get yourself a good drop of malt for Hogmanay...... I'll stand for that.
    Indeed. Any lies.

    And you too, make sure to get yerself a wee bevvie or two!
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Dec '06 00:272 edits
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    what is there beyond truth?
    I guess I wasn't thinking of there being something beyond truth. Just that there may be a source for the delusions that keeps one from seeing the truth.

    For example, I've worked with a number of people over the years that thought they excelled at their job, but objectively they were really poor performers. Somehow they were able to consistently delude themselves into thinking they were much better than they were.

    Also what do you think of the idea of being freed from one's nature to sin?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Dec '06 01:09
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Indeed. The sooner the lies of religion are scoured from the world, the better.
    Do you object to religions because you see them as having unsound principles or because their practicioners do such a poor job following the principles?
  11. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    3637
    29 Dec '06 01:14
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

    Also what do you think of the idea of being freed from one's nature to sin?
    Another two delusions.
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    3637
    29 Dec '06 01:16
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Do you object to religions because you see them as having unsound principles or because their practicioners do such a poor job following the principles?
    Take a careful look at those who make a living from religion. And take a very careful look (if you have to) at what they say.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    29 Dec '06 01:28
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Do you object to religions because you see them as having unsound principles or because their practicioners do such a poor job following the principles?
    Religion is a way of one individual or group having dominion over another. The very fact that it's based on, hmmm, unsound data, only serves to make it worse. It's bad enough to delude yourself, but the systematic deluding of others (including members of the clergy itself) for ones own personal gain (irrespective of whether the individual who instigated the con is still alive or not) just serves to make it worse.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Dec '06 01:35
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Another two delusions.
    Do you mean that you don't think that man has the propensity to be self-serving?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    29 Dec '06 01:37
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Religion is a way of one individual or group having dominion over another. The very fact that it's based on, hmmm, unsound data, only serves to make it worse. It's bad enough to delude yourself, but the systematic deluding of others (including members of the clergy itself) for ones own personal gain (irrespective of whether the individual who instigated the con is still alive or not) just serves to make it worse.
    Perhaps that is what most if not all religions have become. But what do you see as unsound?
Back to Top