1. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 06:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If I (an American) "came to my senses" regarding America (or, at minimum, enough of those things to compel me to reject the majority of what America stands for), I highly doubt that I would spend a large portion of my internet time involved in the refutation of America, its ideals or even its reality.
    America is a religion for you?

If you go over to debates, I think you will find quite a few disillusioned former Americans being quite vocal about it, I never understood why but now I do. Where I come from, nationality isn't a religion.

You do seem quite vocal about atheism. Are you a former atheist? Or do you admit that that is not a religion?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 10:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    First quote is faith-specific

Second quote is not wise.

Third quote ... I'll give it a 5/10
    Then it's settled. This debate is really only based on opinion. You opened this thread with a question to which I gave answer, but instead of examining the content of that answer you merely gave your opinion of it.

Therefore you are not wise enough to post in your own thread.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 11:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    Then it's settled. This debate is really only based on opinion.
    Is wisdom relative to opinion about that wisdom? Do you have a way of measuring wisdom absolutely rather than by opinion?

You opened this thread with a question to which I gave answer, but instead of examining the content of that answer you merely gave your opinion of it.
    Are you saying he judged too quickly, or took it out of context, or what?

Is this just your opinion, and is it in context?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 11:53
    Then it's settled. This debate is really only based on opinion.
    Isn't every thread in Spiritual Forum based on opinion?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 22:28
    Then it's settled. This debate is really only based on opinion. You opened this thread with a question to which I gave answer, but instead of examining the content of that answer you merely gave your opinion of it.

If you give examples without any justification what is one to do - other than form an opinion?

Just because you choose not to think for yourself does not mean others shouldn't.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 22:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead

If you go over to debates, I think you will find quite a few disillusioned former Americans being quite vocal about it, I never understood why but now I do. Where I come from, nationality isn't a religion.

You do seem quite vocal about atheism. Are you a former atheist? Or do you admit that that is not a religion?
    That's a question?
    Really?

How do you get anything remotely akin to such banality as to offer this into the conversation?
    This is what passes as adult dialogue in your world?

Holy crap, this place is a cesspool of idiots, isn't it?
    Thanks for your notable contributions, twhitehead.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 06:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That's a question?
    Really?

How do you get anything remotely akin to such banality as to offer this into the conversation?
    This is what passes as adult dialogue in your world?

Holy crap, this place is a cesspool of idiots, isn't it?
    Thanks for your notable contributions, twhitehead.
    That's an answer?
    Really?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 16:22
    If you give examples without any justification what is one to do - other than form an opinion?

Just because you choose not to think for yourself does not mean others shouldn't.
    "If you give examples without any justification what is one to do - other than form an opinion?"

You didn't ask for justification. Why are you wasting my time?

"Just because you choose not to think for yourself does not mean others shouldn't."

You should try thinking for your own self instead of pulling the above statement out of thin air without a cause. What does my thinking for myself have to do with anything said so far anyway? And just exactly what do you mean by that statement? Who is thinking for me? My mind is my own. I think for myself. Your suggestion otherwise is adolescent in its origination, and you should try to think like an adult and stay on topic.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 17:09
    You should try thinking for your own self ....
    He did. You didn't like it. Thats what sparked off this little tiff.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 20:40

1. You didn't ask for justification.
    2. Why are you wasting my time?

3. What does my thinking for myself have to do with anything said so far anyway?
    4. And just exactly what do you mean by that statement?
    5. Who is thinking for me?
    6. My mind is my own. I think for myself. Your suggestion otherwise is adolescent
    in its origination, and you should try to think like an adult and stay on topic.
    1. In debate there is usually an implicit agreement amongst participants
    that statements are justified, the more outlandish or controversial the
    statement the more justification is required.

2. How am I wasting your time? I have told you before to SHUT UP.

3. Duh!

4. Double duh!

5. The million dollar question. I suspect NOBODY. You are on auto-pilot.

6. I don't think your mind is your own. I don't think you do - think for
    yourself - and cannot see what that thought has to do with adolescence.
    (Unless adolescence stirs thoughts of independent thought in you??) As
    for staying on topic! DONT MAKE ME LAUGH.

Now SHUT UP.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 01:03
    1. In debate there is usually an implicit agreement amongst participants
    that statements are justified, the more outlandish or controversial the
    statement the more justification is required.

2. How am I wasting your time? I have told you before to SHUT UP.

3. Duh!

4. Double duh!

5. The million dollar question. I suspect NOBODY. You are on ...[text shortened]... of independent thought in you??) As
    for staying on topic! DONT MAKE ME LAUGH.

Now SHUT UP.
    When are you going to say something of substance?

Your petty childish tirades do nothing to stir intellectual discourse. Rather they only reveal your intolerance of ideas and beliefs that others hold dear, and what's worse your disdain for those who live by faith.

I've done all I can to try to discuss whatever topic was generated by those who disagree with me in as open and honest and objective a way as I know how for all these years, but have met with nothing less than insult and ridicule for both myself personally and for the things I believe in.

Now, perhaps you can find a way to shut me up! Why don't you start by not posting your vitriol of things others believe in.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 01:39
    When are you going to say something of substance?

Your petty childish tirades do nothing to stir intellectual discourse. Rather they only reveal your intolerance of ideas and beliefs that others hold dear, and what's worse your disdain for those who live by faith.

I've done all I can to try to discuss whatever topic was generated by those who disagree ...[text shortened]... way to shut me up! Why don't you start by not posting your vitriol of things others believe in.
    I thought I told you to SHUT UP?

But as you have not.
    Can you justify that any of my posts on this thread have been petty,
    childish or a "tirade". I know you can't.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 02:27
    I thought I told you to SHUT UP?

But as you have not.
    Can you justify that any of my posts on this thread have been petty,
    childish or a "tirade". I know you can't.
    I never do as I am told. Maybe if you say please.

"...I can't think of anything that isn't taught in primary school."

Don't you think it's childish not to be able to "think of anything that isn't taught in primary school?"

Kind of bizarre your opening post is. If you go back and read it you'll probably see what I mean. Sounds a lot like the start of a tirade more than anything else to me! Petty too since after I replied you had nothing substantive to say.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 05:32

1. Don't you think it's childish not to be able to "think of anything that
    isn't taught in primary school?"

2. Kind of bizarre your opening post is. If you go back and read it
    you'll probably see what I mean.

3. Sounds a lot like the start of a tirade more than anything else to me!

4. Petty too since after I replied you had nothing substantive to say.
    1. No. In the context of words of wisdom. I cannot think of any wisdom
    from Jesus that isn't taught to school children.

2. Bizarre? That takes the biscuit coming from a man who believes in the
    supernatural.

3. A tirade is a criticism, normally long and angry. My opening post was
    a challenge for someone to substantiate a claim made by sonship. It is
    not a criticism, it is not long and certainly not angry. Perhaps you have
    a different definition of 'tirade' which I am unfamiliar with?

4. If you choose to think discussion of Jesus's wisdom "petty" that is
    your choice. I agree I have nothing substantive to say because I don't
    think there is anything substantive to say
    about his words of wisdom.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 11:062 edits
    1. No. In the context of words of wisdom. I cannot think of any wisdom
    from Jesus that isn't taught to school children.

2. Bizarre? That takes the biscuit coming from a man who believes in the
    supernatural.

3. A tirade is a criticism, normally long and angry. My opening post was
    a challenge for someone to substantiate a claim made by sonship. ...[text shortened]... y because I don't
    think there is anything substantive to say
    about his words of wisdom.
    If everything Jesus said can be said in any Public Elementary school, why is it not allowed to teach what Jesus said in detail, class by class, in Public School ?

Teachers are allowed to teach wise things said by say Thomas Edison and give him credit. Teachers are allowed to repeat sayings of Ben Franklin and give him credit for saying it.

How far in the semester do you think a teacher could get teaching the sayings of Jesus and giving credit to Jesus ? I don't think it would be tolerated for very long in any US Public School.

The fifth grade in the 1950s was the last time I heard the Sermon on the Mount (starting in Matthew 5) being read in the morning at school. After that year I never again heard the Bible read in the morning in school from either the Old or New Testament.

If all the wisdom Jesus spoke was spoken in Elementary School it is strange that they suddenly instituted a Federal law that forbade giving credit to Him while speaking the same thing.

Your ploy - "Whatever wise thing Jesus said, I heard my teacher say in Elementary School."

But my teacher after a certain time could be fired for teaching what Jesus taught in Public School. So the same wisdom could not be echoed. Nor could it be referenced by giving credit where credit is due.

And anyone trying to "De-Jesus" the sayings of Jesus is likely to be detected as not adhering to the separation of church and state.

Lastly, since you dismiss what you wish from Jesus as not being a wise saying, your point is disingenuous.

What you really mean is "any wisdom of Jesus that I wolfgang59 also approve of as being wise."

If I say, as millions have said, that the seventeenth chapter of the Gospel of John is very wise, you would probably not agree. And you wouldn't be able to point out where the same thing is taught in Elementary School.

So "the wisest words of Jesus" is a disingenuous expression on your part. For if anyone points to some wise words of Jesus which you reject a being wise, you maintain your phony argument.

"That's not a wise saying of Jesus. So that saying doesn't count."

How do we know you would approve of any wisdom spoken by anyone?
    We have no overwhelming indication that you appreciate wisdom, especially if it contradicts your enjoyment of your cherished personal lifestyle.

I think generally "wisdom" for you is only what pats you on the back and encourages you to continue doing your own thing anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree