The wisest thing Jesus ever said.

The wisest thing Jesus ever said.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 14

Originally posted by sonship
[b Everything Jesus spoke was saturated with wisdom.
Even while He was sleeping, that too was wisdom.

[/b]
The hole you are digging is getting wider and deeper.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 14

Originally posted by CalJust
Hi twhitehead,

Firstly, Jesus never pretended to be a philosopher.

Secondly, it is mostly Christians (such as some on RHP) that have done the greatest damage to the reputation of Jesus' teachings.

Thirdly, Jesus' teachings in Mathews 5,6 and 7 (generally known as the Sermon on the Mount) closely parallel Buddhist teaching - universal truths. These ...[text shortened]... neighbour, etc. Most of the great religions (including Buddhism and Confucianism) accept these.
Cal
Nobody has argued that Jesus didn't say anything wise.

sonship said they were the wisest words.

I can't deny there are some nice stories in the NT demonstrating kindness
and forgiveness but we see these in all religions/cultures/philosophies.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 14

so, what evidence do you have that non christians are less content than christians?

Quote me where I said exactly that.

Your next post to me should contain those exact words in quotations to the effect I wrote

[b]"non christians are less content than christians"

Show me how "just fine" you are doing in the department of not attempting to change a person's words and put them into his mouth.[/b]
Weird.
You are asking to be quoted on something you did not say?
🙄

Reported phrases unless enclosed in speech marks obviously paraphrase
what others have said. So don't get all indignant and ask where you said
the exact words.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
OK. Let's hear it.
Because I can't think of anything that isn't taught in primary school.

Originally posted by josephw
Matthew 21:16
"Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?"
That was funny. You quoted something Jesus learn't in primary school.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Weird.
You are asking to be quoted on something you did not say?
🙄

Reported phrases unless enclosed in speech marks obviously paraphrase
what others have said. So don't get all indignant and ask where you said
the exact words.
Funny thing. I didn't even read your post. I just noticed the rolling eyes and just moved right on.

Works pretty good.

Maybe you should just respond with rolling eyes to me from now on.
All the rest is pretty useless.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Jun 14

I think that not only the word of God is correct, but even much secular poetry, liturature, writings, biographies, testimonials pretty much confirm the same.

My primary source is of course the Bible.
But even outside of the Bible too many confirmations exist that I am correct, though I may not be able to prove it.

Why did Alexander the Great die ...[text shortened]... to a degree there is some truth to that Buddhist proclamation.

so it ain't JUST the Bible.
Why did Alexander the Great die of alcoholism? He had conquered the whole known world.
He didn't, both of the accounts of his death talk of him dieing nine or so days after drinking large amounts. This is not consistent with either acute alcohol poisoning, or chronic alcoholism. He was almost certainly poisoned, which was a common thing among the Macedonian aristocracy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
Why did Alexander the Great die of alcoholism? He had conquered the whole known world.
He didn't, both of the accounts of his death talk of him dieing nine or so days after drinking large amounts. This is not consistent with either acute alcohol poisoning, or chronic alcoholism. He was almost certainly poisoned, which was a common thing among the Macedonian aristocracy.

I just knew it!
They should have checked with the Food and Drug Administration and advised him at least.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14
3 edits

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 14

Here's something which rings a bell
Just so you know, that is almost certainly a made up story.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 14

Funny thing. I didn't even read your post.
Funny thing. It wouldn't make any difference if you had read his post. You never believe anything he says anyway.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Just so you know, that is almost certainly a made up story.
Because I do not know how much may be based on scholarship, I have withdrawn referring to it.

Years ago, I heard that Alexander requested his arms be place outside his coffin.

Maybe there is some bases in history about it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14
1 edit

Funny thing. It wouldn't make any difference if you had read his post. You never believe anything he says anyway.
That is probably a false accusation. I do not have any problem with anyone's post that contains some accurate things in it.

The rolling of the eyes means someone is a moron.

I never left rolling eyeballs for anyone talking to me here.
I think it is trollish and a mark of immaturity.

Moves
10 Jun 14
1 edit

what on earth are you on about??? who said i was always 'just fine'?? ive been a bit of a dick in the past (more thoughtless than anything else). that has no bearing or connection to having a lack of god.....proven by the fact that christians can also be dicks.

You sinned against people. You, like everybody else this side of Adam, tresp ...[text shortened]... baggage to the One Who died and rose for my reconciliation to the Perfect and Righteous Father.
You sinned against people

no i didnt (ive sinned with somebody a few times, but not against).

You yourself have been on the receiving end of a trespass.
You didn't like it.

not really, nothing that bothers me.

But the act itself damaged you.
It left a stain on your character.

nope, i see the negative things ive done as part of growing up and learning. im sure my kids will do similar things, i still think they will be fantastic caring people.

I am worse than you

no kidding, you seem very negative, turning the slightest things into huge weights around your neck, then declaring everybody has huge weights.

Speak for yourself, you said. You are doing just fine.
Sounds very much like a boast.

thats because of your negativity. 'fine' is not a boast, it is to point out to you that its possible to be happy without god.

i dont treat people like dirt.

At times you did.

no, really, i dont treat people like dirt. my mother and father raised me well. the fact you assume all people have, says more about you.

Were there not some people that you never again had an occasion to be reconciled to ?

there is nobody that needs to be reconciled with. ive never left anybody on bad terms, its not my style to be on bad terms with people.

Perhaps you damaged someone and did not even realize it.

if so it would be something minor, nothing they would carry with them through life.

your writings will encourage some reader to sin

not a sin in my eyes and im sure ive not said anything that will encourage people to do wrong (in my opinion).

Are you happy completely knowing that you set in circle of misfortune which someone else is still suffering from ?

i havent.

Suppose the offended party went off and learned to do the same thing. They learned from you. Others got damaged. Are you doing just fine knowing that after you your words and deeds still may be operating in the world like spreading germs

im confident that i havent. if ive ever upset people its been a minor thing, the kinda thing people can get over within a few minutes or hours. nothing that has scarred anybody.

It all ends with your contentment, your happiness ?

i hope i will be content and happy when my time comes. if things continue as they are then things are looking good. if my family are happy, then im happy.

There are also some ostriches who bury their heads in the sand so as to not see somethings that they wish were not there

i dont bury my head. im fully aware of people and their emotions. i work with guys that have done some horrific things, i know people who have done amazing acts of kindness. i know happy people, i know sad people, i know where i am at this moment in my life...things are just fine (apart from my sick dog).

You are not doing just fine. You are just not caught up with yet.
The drug addict tells himself he is doing just fine.
The alcoholic tells himself that he too is doing just fine.

wow, you are trying to convince a person who feels happy....that they are not happy and they are in denial like an addict!!!!! lay off the negative vibes man. its okay to be happy.

And the man living with no thought of the law of God assures himself that he is also doing just fine. That is why people do not like the word of Christ.

i have morals, i dont need god. i agree with much that jesus says, ive never said i do not like his basic message. i just dont believe he was real.

My baggage went to Calvary, to the cross of Jesus.
I sent all of my baggage to the One Who died and rose for my reconciliation to the Perfect and Righteous Father

it sounds to me that you still have a lot of baggage. you are very negative and morose for a person who supposedly as this god shaped hole full that the rest of us apparently have.

it seems to me that it cause you frustration that most of the atheist you speak to are perfectly happy without god. i would imagine you wonder why you need god to make you happy and others dont. which implies that it is you that is the addict it is you that has a hole that needs constantly filling with your spiritual drug, because without it you were not a happy person.

are you a happy person?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 14

Because I do not know how much may be based on scholarship, I have withdrawn referring to it.

Years ago, I heard that Alexander requested his arms be place outside his coffin.

Maybe there is some bases in history about it.
Its the sort of thing that gets made up by people like you who don't care too much about the facts but wish to prove the claims of the Bible. They look for a famous rich figure then make up a deathbed story that fits whatever they are trying to prove. Then other gullible people pass it on as fact. Happens all the time.
I think you need to keep this in mind next time you look around for confirmation for your beliefs. It is always easy to find confirmation, especially if you don't scrutinize it too hard.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 14
1 edit

Vica versa.

On every subject practically, in every aspect, from every angle, you can be expected to immediately endevour to correct a theist.

98% of the time, you immediately seek out the error in anything written by some Christians here.

Probably you would only agree with one of us if it were a matter of strict mathematical formulas of basic math.

Anything wrong with this? 2 + 2 = 4.