1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 22:13
    Originally posted by Dasa
    The worst mistake in human history is for false science and false religion to masquerade as keepers of the the truth.
    If nothing else, Dasa, that was nice timing.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 22:53
    The worst mistake in human history is for false science and false religion to masquerade as keepers of the the truth.
    That makes more sense than the previous suggestion of growing a garden.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 22:56
    Well I don't know about 'false science' but science doesn't claim to be a keeper of truth.
    Just a seeker of it.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 23:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well I don't know about 'false science' but science doesn't claim to be a keeper of truth.
    Just a seeker of it.
    Christianity says seek and you shall find.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 23:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christianity says seek and you shall find.
    Which is evidently not true as many people seek yet few if any find.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 05:57
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Which is evidently not true as many people seek yet few if any find.
    Most people are like you and seek the wrong thing.
    It does not say you will find everything you seek as
    you interpret it. Your thinking is all wrong.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 15:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If nothing else, Dasa, that was nice timing.
    And if you look closely you will see that the greatest mistake of agriculture comes directly from the belief that science are keepers of the truth - which then lends itself to their lofty position of false authority in defending the destructive nature of modern agriculture.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 16:00
    And if you look closely you will see that the greatest mistake of agriculture comes directly from the belief that science are keepers of the truth - which then lends itself to their lofty position of false authority in defending the destructive nature of modern agriculture.
    I agree with you to some degree. A scientific minded society, lacking any other belief system, will maintain that any technological advance that can be made should be made. It places no limits on the proper scope or application of technology in our lives. Societies like the Hutterites, on the other hand, use technology as is appropriate to their situation, but they control both the scope and application of technology and mediate the impact it has on their lives.

This is an example of where I think "scientific materialism" leads toward "cultural materialism" and use the Hutterites as an example of how a society could arrange itself to keep the two separate and distinct.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 16:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I agree with you to some degree. A scientific minded society, lacking any other belief system, will maintain that any technological advance that can be made should be made. It places no limits on the proper scope or application of technology in our lives. Societies like the Hutterites, on the other hand, use technology as is appropriate to the ...[text shortened]... s as an example of how a society could arrange itself to keep the two separate and distinct.
    Yes indeed...........

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree