1. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    ignoring the obvious point that a "teaching" is supposed to teach - if it fails at that purpose then the problem must lie with the teaching. A teaching that divides humanity into warring groups is a flawed teaching and will lead to murder. The evidence for this is literally all around us. Wake up and smell the coffee. The future of our children on this planet is at stake.
    I disagree. The vast majority of conflicts etc are not a direct result of the teachings in question but have far more to do with human nature.
    I fully agree that when humans follow religions there is increased incidence of conflict where two religions are involved, but I am less convinced that that is the case in areas with less variation in the religion.
    There is plenty of evidence that differences in skin color leads to conflict - but does that mean skin color is at fault?
    In general human behavior causes segregation and conflict where ever there are discernible differences between two groups of people be it race, tribe, culture, religion, nationality, language etc.
    This tendency is often taken advantage of by political opportunists - this may include religious leaders. Examples of this abound- Hitler and Mugabe are the first that come to mind.
    We can however learn to live with our differences if we work at it.

Even if you are right that the teachings incite conflict, the existence of conflict is not good evidence for the claim.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 14:04
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    How is the Pope a fascist?
    He served in Hitler Youth. It's not like that's an unknown fact.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 16:49
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Which is sad and regrettable.
    at least we don't stone them to death.
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 16:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    To this very day, the Catholic Church has a policy against ordaining women to the priesthood.
    Have you ever bothered to look up why that happens?

obviously not.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 16:511 edit
    He served in Hitler Youth. It's not like that's an unknown fact.
    Do you think he had much choice?

(considering the context)
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 17:02
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Do you think he had much choice?

(considering the context)
    Yes. Plenty of German male youth in the Reich didn't serve in Hitler Youth or the army. They were mostly the rich ones ...
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 17:02
    at least we don't stone them to death.
    Hey! I never said I liked the Taliban!
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 17:22
    Hey! I never said I liked the Taliban!
    one never knows with you.

do you beat your wife frequently?
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 17:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Even if you are right that the teachings incite conflict, the existence of conflict is not good evidence for the claim.
    The existence of conflict based on religion is. "Those who have eyes will see. Those who have ears can hear."
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 19:10
    one never knows with you.

do you beat your wife frequently?
    The Taliban, FYI, is heavily anticommunist.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 19:49
    The Taliban, FYI, is heavily anticommunist.
    ...but also of the same religion as you are, surely circumcised too.
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 20:021 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ...but also of the same religion as you are, surely circumcised too.
    But anticommunist. And they're Sunni. I'm Shi'a.

EDIT: Hitler was the same religion that you are. What does it mean?
  13. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 23:56
    Because its full of BS.

Jesus in america, golden plates, an angel called moroni, etc.

Im not saying mormons are the worst people, Im saying their religion is one of the worst.
    Of course. Because believing in that makes them do horrible things. 🙄

I guess I just can not understand where your logic comes from. Is that really so different as you see it from believing the story of moses and other stories in the Bible?
  14. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 00:02
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Heck, just a few years ago they decided that you were entitled to equal rights even if you weren't white-skinned. Of course, that doesn't apply if you happen to homosexual (even if you are white.)
    From what I have learned, this is not true at all. Care to come up with a link or something? I understand that MANY years ago, there was a Priesthood I believe that not everyone could hold but a'few' years ago? I don't believe that's true at all unless you can provide some other evidence besides your own input.
  15. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 00:09
    and yet From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy against ordaining black men of African descent to the priesthood. Under the same policy, black men and women of African descent were prohibited from participating in the temple Endowment and sealings, ordinances that the church teaches are necessary for the highest degree of salvation.

see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_race
    You do realize there were many people back then who did not give African Americans equal rights, don' t you? Everyone from many different beliefs. Using your logic, you can say the same for anyone's belief it seems. Even the belief you hold.

I'm just trying to understand the logic on this board. Many of the reasons I have read so far are based on logic that is not very well founded in my opinion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree