The Worst Religion

The Worst Religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by whiteknight26
I'm just trying to understand the logic on this board. Many of the reasons I have read so far are based on logic that is not very well founded in my opinion.
Don't judge this forum based on generalissimo's posts. There are plenty of amazing posters here and often times there is a bewilderingly diverse exchange of ideas.

Moves
18 Jun 09

From what I have learned, this is not true at all. Care to come up with a link or something? I understand that MANY years ago, there was a Priesthood I believe that not everyone could hold but a'few' years ago? I don't believe that's true at all unless you can provide some other evidence besides your own input.
Look - I never said the mormons were the worst - someone else did. I just pointed out that they have a racist history (which you admit.) Quite frankly to me 1978 WAS a "few years ago." (I was a responsible non-racist adult then, bub!) So the fact that their president had to wait until 1978 to get a divine revelation that darker skinned people had money and power too that could be exploited is absolutely no reason to to believe that they "cured" their racism (who runs their church?) Especially when there is ample recent evidence that they are also raging homophobes. In addition I happen to come from native-american genetic stock and their whole song and dance gold-plated white-man's fantasy about the past on my forefather's continent is an actual and direct insult to me. They can board the boat to cross the Styx for all I care and take Mel Gibson with them.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Look - I never said the mormons were the worst - someone else did. I just pointed out that they have a racist history (which you admit.) Quite frankly to me 1978 WAS a "few years ago." (I was a responsible non-racist adult then, bub!) So the fact that their president had to wait until 1978 to get a divine revelation that darker skinned people had money ...[text shortened]... e. They can board the boat to cross the Styx for all I care and take Mel Gibson with them.
Fantastic post. Just fantastic.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jun 09

The existence of conflict based on religion is. "Those who have eyes will see. Those who have ears can hear."
No it isn't. "Those who want to see something will see it, regardless of whether it is there or not".

Please explain how the conflict in northern Ireland was based on the teachings of Jesus - after all it is your claim that the conflict is evidence that it was.

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
No it isn't. "Those who want to see something will see it, regardless of whether it is there or not".

Please explain how the conflict in northern Ireland was based on the teachings of Jesus - after all it is your claim that the conflict is evidence that it was.
I didn't say the conflict was based on the teachings of jesus. I said the teachings of jesus did nothing to prevent the conflict because (as they currently exist) they are a useless bunch of incoherent ritual formulas that do nothing to bring people together and everything to separate people into mutually hostile groups. N. Ireland is a perfect example of how useless christianity is in this current world because there it was 'brothers in christ' piously working to commit genocide on each other for many centuries. When did they propogate christianity there? Last week? It did a heckuva job! (You could argue that the conflict is winding down now because witchdoctors and priests have been discredited among both populations.)

All these middle eastern religions were designed to keep a group hostile and united against every other group around it in order to preserve the political unit. It was a great way to build civilization. But now, if we don't leave them behind us like other ancient practices that have been shown to be harmful, they will be great way to end civilization. Ask yourself if your attachment to an idea is more important than the future of your children. I know my answer.

w

Moves
18 Jun 09

Look - I never said the mormons were the worst - someone else did. I just pointed out that they have a racist history (which you admit.) Quite frankly to me 1978 WAS a "few years ago." (I was a responsible non-racist adult then, bub!) So the fact that their president had to wait until 1978 to get a divine revelation that darker skinned people had money ...[text shortened]... e. They can board the boat to cross the Styx for all I care and take Mel Gibson with them.
You totally missed my point of my post. My point was evceryone has a racist history somehwere in their past. I never said you were a racist bubba. I was making a point using something that happened in the 1800s does not make the mormon church racist today. When does the mormon church exploit who has money? I know they give tithing but it's a choice. There are no plates that get past around at Church or anything like that. They give because they want to and nothing else.

If you believe the mormon church is racist today, you could not be more wrong if you tried and shows ignorance at the highest level.
I know plenty of african american mormons who would disagree with you. I also know a homosexual who is a member of the LDS church. He is a wonderful man and a good friend.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Jun 09

I didn't say the conflict was based on the teachings of jesus. I said the teachings of jesus did nothing to prevent the conflict because (as they currently exist) they are a useless bunch of incoherent ritual formulas that do nothing to bring people together and everything to separate people into mutually hostile groups.
My mistake. However, you are making the accusation based on the premise that the teachings must bring humanity together, can you support that premise?

All these middle eastern religions were designed to keep a group hostile and united against every other group around it in order to preserve the political unit.
I don't believe that the religions were 'designed' as such, certainly not with division as the primary goal. Again, your evidence of division and conflict does not directly support your case.

It was a great way to build civilization.
I am not so sure about that.

But now, if we don't leave them behind us like other ancient practices that have been shown to be harmful, they will be great way to end civilization. Ask yourself if your attachment to an idea is more important than the future of your children. I know my answer.
I have no attachment to the idea of religion. I too think that religion is generally detrimental to society and peace. I simply disagree with some of your claims about it.

Moves
18 Jun 09

You totally missed my point of my post. My point was evceryone has a racist history somehwere in their past. I never said you were a racist bubba. I was making a point using something that happened in the 1800s does not make the mormon church racist today. When does the mormon church exploit who has money? I know they give tithing but it's a choice. Th ...[text shortened]... o know a homosexual who is a member of the LDS church. He is a wonderful man and a good friend.
Yep, everyone I know is a former Klan member who currently campaigns against equal rights for homosexuals, nothing wrong with that. And heck, the 1800s and the 20th century? To some people still living in the 13th century those are pretty much the same. Insulting someone's whole ancestry by implying that they represent an inferior race, no big deal. Getting sucked in by a pile of narrow-minded, self-serving crap served up by people wearing holy underwear, get in line.

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
I simply disagree with some of your claims about it.
And you have yet to offer any rebuttal of my basic point - if these religions are so great then why aren't they working? Why aren't people's lives getting better? Why are children still dying? Yes, humans make those decisions but if the "teaching" means nothing and has no effect then examine what the "teaching" actually says and see if the result is related. I contend that there is a more than coincidental relationship between teaching that there are groups favored by the deity and groups in thrall to satan and the frequency of holy wars. What part of that don't you see? They all encourage their followers to see others as more than just different. They cast them as the "holy" enemy. One who can be opposed (and in fact must be opposed) with the blessings of the deity. This was useful when as Gilgamesh said "I built the walls of Uruk!" He was a protector of his people and his god charged him with that responsibility and sanctified his actions taken for that purpose. If only social cohesion (everyone in their place - sound familiar?) can keep the food chain going and promote the storing of surplus to allow the kinds of specialization that civilization requires then that belief system is useful. Especially when there exist outside forces that would tear down and plunder the oasis of value that such a society represents. That situation no longer holds. We need to find a new way to not just tolerate but to accept diversity. We can disagree about this point if you just can't follow or accept this analysis but we are all still in this together - no matter what we 'believe.'

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Don't judge this forum based on generalissimo's posts. There are plenty of amazing posters here and often times there is a bewilderingly diverse exchange of ideas.
Oh yes, the "amazing posters" like yourself and your pink unicorns?

give me a break.

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by scherzo
The Taliban, FYI, is heavily anticommunist.
do you beat your wife frequently?

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

Of course. Because believing in that makes them do horrible things. 🙄

I guess I just can not understand where your logic comes from. Is that really so different as you see it from believing the story of moses and other stories in the Bible?
J.Smith's claims are very doubtful.

Why is it that he was the only one to see the golden plates? His claims are nonsensical and aren't based on anything.

Furthermore, isn't it obvious that he was a false prophet whose intention was to create a cult of fanatics who would obey him?

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

You do realize there were many people back then who did not give African Americans equal rights, don' t you? Everyone from many different beliefs. Using your logic, you can say the same for anyone's belief it seems. Even the belief you hold.

I'm just trying to understand the logic on this board. Many of the reasons I have read so far are based on logic that is not very well founded in my opinion.
1978 sounds pretty recent to me.

it wasn't "a long time ago".

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

I guess I just can not understand where your logic comes from. Is that really so different as you see it from believing the story of moses and other stories in the Bible?

Are you saying that it doesn't matter if I just make something up and invent my own religion out of the blue, as long as I tell my followers to be nice and do good things?

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
Are you saying that it doesn't matter if I just make something up and invent my own religion out of the blue, as long as I tell my followers to be nice and do good things?
If you get a yacht, free flowing champagne, and an endless supply of young women like L. Ron Hubbard did then I hope you'll consider me a friend and offer an invite! (Beats the heck out of holy underwear!)