1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    delusional
    What period of history was safer and nicer to live in? We'll stick to Europe as that's where we live.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:16
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    when was the best time to live? and where does now rank (roughly)?
    I live in the US. I've always lived in the US. As such, I have no idea of the realities of life in other places, except what I see on the news.

I'd say the best time to be alive in the United States was between the end of the Second World War and the assassination of JFK. I wasn't around then, so I do not know this personally, but from what I've gathered from reading various sources, this is my opinion.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:262 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I live in the US. I've always lived in the US. As such, I have no idea of the realities of life in other places, except what I see on the news.

I'd say the best time to be alive in the United States was between the end of the Second World War and the assassination of JFK. I wasn't around then, so I do not know this personally, but from what I've gathered from reading various sources, this is my opinion.
    vietnam, the mccarthy trials, cold-war, bay of pigs, race and sexual discrimination, korean-war, the kkk bombing black schools and hospitals. the cultural divide, civil unrest.

im no historian and not american, but ive always been lead to believe the 50's + 60's was a very turbulent time in america.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    delusional
    You should have watched the time travellers guide to Elizabethan England.

They had more exciting ways to die before breakfast than we generally experience in a decade.

You are the one who is delusional. (and wilfully ignorant)

In one single flu outbreak a higher proportion of people died than died in WW1 and the Spanish flu outbreak combined.

And that's on top of the decadeal outbreaks of the Plague, the significant risk of being killed while travelling, or for being a vagrant, or for believing in the wrong religion, or for having money, or not having money, or simply starving because the crops failed due to bad weather...

One stat quoted was that in one church (typical of the time) had in one year 60 child baptisms and 42 child deaths.

Anyone claiming that it was better then needs their head examined.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:34
    This tread appears to have gotten off topic. I think we are supposed to be exposing the hypocracy of the Watchtower Society and the JWs. Am I wrong?

The Instructor
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:36
    Just saw on the national news last night that 1000 people had been killed in the US from "road rage" since 2007.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This tread appears to have gotten off topic. I think we are supposed to be exposing the hypocracy of the Watchtower Society and the JWs. Am I wrong?

The Instructor
    And pointing out that their claims that the world is getting worse are wrong doesn't do that?

Oh no... I forgot, you believe that nonsense too.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:37
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just saw on the national news last night that 1000 people had been killed in the US from "road rage" since 2007.
    And?
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
    Yep.....

What exactly is the purpose of this thread anyway? To hear about ex JW's that left Jehovah and his organization mad because they couldn't live up to his requirements that are clearly explained in the Bible?
    Of course they will do all they can to strike back just like the postman or mechanic that got fired from his work because he did not do the things the job required, and he got pissed and left and is now crying over it?
    Just because they didn't get it, they now come up with these secrect plans and undercover spy stuff that the JW's supposedly do, just to feed their frustration?
    Come on...I guess you guys are showing your true colors and most of it is the color of foolishness.

I'd like to hear you all share what secretive bad things you all have done?
    I'd say "throw the first stone" since you all are so perfect, but you already have.
    What fools......
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:48
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And?
    Lol....Really?
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:49
    Yep.....

What exactly is the purpose of this thread anyway? To hear about ex JW's that left Jehovah and his organization mad because they couldn't live up to his requirements that are clearly explained in the Bible?
    Of course they will do all they can to strike back just like the postman or mechanic that got fired from his work because he did not ...[text shortened]... the first stone" since you all are so perfect, but you already have.
    What fools......
    What colour is 'foolishness'?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:57
    Lol....Really?
    Yes really.

In the past people died. In the present people die.

To determine if things are getting better or worse (in terms of lifespan) you need to see whether in any given period of time you are more or less likely to die now as opposed to then.
    And you need to see how long people live (on average) before they die.

Simply quoting a number of people who have died of a specific cause over a number of years is meaningless in that context.

Now if you could show that you are today more likely to be killed in a traffic accident or road rage incident today than you were likely to be killed by bandits/highway men ect in medieval England then you might have a point.

Given that you can't and haven't done that, you don't.

So I go back to my original response...

And?
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:58
    Yep.....

Of course they will do all they can to strike back just like the postman or mechanic that got fired from his work because he did not ...[text shortened]... the first stone" since you all are so perfect, but you already have.
    What fools......
    "I'd like to hear you all share what secretive bad things you all have done?
    I'd say "throw the first stone" since you all are so perfect, but you already have."

is this an admission that there are secretive bad things within your church? it kinda implies that we should share because you feel you have?

what kind of bad things do you think people do that you think they should admit? should it be comparable to what you feel is being brought to light about your church?
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 15:58
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What colour is 'foolishness'?
    Purple with yellow spots.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '13 16:01
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Purple with yellow spots.
    back off, you maybe the science buff. but im the ex-art student, this is my area of expertise.

as it happens you were correct. purple, yellow spots. unless you are in the southern hemisphere and its yellow with purple spots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree