There's big money in doomsday predictions

There's big money in doomsday predictions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
26 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Agerg
Here's a fact for you, spirituality isn't defined by religion. You define it as such because you only have god coloured spectacles. There is way more scope for spirituality out there in the world than your poundshop god and religion.
yeah, like you would know having practised it. Neeeext!

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yeah, like you would know having practised it. Neeeext!
Practicing nothing would be better than your brand of "spirituality" ;]
As for the spirituality I practice - I'm sure it falls into the scope of definition of wiser persons than yourself.

rc

Moves
26 May 11
2 edits

Practicing nothing would be better than your brand of "spirituality" ;]
As for the spirituality I practice - I'm sure it falls into the scope of definition of wiser persons than yourself.
you talky talky Aggy, but you no walky walky!

Wisdom is proven righteous by its works Aggy, i think i have mentioned to you before.
What is wisdom but the application of knowledge? what knowledge have you gleaned
from your time on the planet Aggy? what shall it amount to? twenty, thirty, forty
years? and yet i have an ancient record stretching back three thousand years with
which to glean not only knowledge, but to learn from not only my own mistakes, but
those of others, why is your knowledge and wisdom superior to that?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 May 11
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you talky talky Aggy, but you no walky walky!

Wisdom is proven righteous by its works Aggy, i think i have mentioned to you before.
What is wisdom but the application of knowledge? what knowledge have you gleaned
from your time on the planet Aggy? what shall it amount to? twenty, thirty, forty
years? and yet i have an ancient record s ...[text shortened]... only my own mistakes, but
those of others, why is your knowledge and wisdom superior to that?
Rob you are a Borg, you were assimilated into the collective a long time ago.

To quote the great Zach De La Rocha -

Believing all the lies that they're telling ya,
Buying all the products that there sellin' ya,
They say 'jump', and you say 'how high'?
You're brain dead, you got a ****** bullet in your head!!

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Oooh...what would agerg do if he was in power!?...

If I had any real influence over the education system, science teachers would be made mercifully aware that they need not stifle their requirement to correct (no not the cat o' nine tails or the boot etc...) any student who advances the Genesis theory of creation or intelligent design in the science classro ...[text shortened]... nty of savings to be made there I wager!

Vote for agerg...you know it makes sense! ;]
Not bad policies. The bottom line is nobody will be discriminated against for their beliefs as long as they are law-abiding.

But before I cast my vote for you I have a couple questions ...

1. under your jurisdiction, things like adultery and homosexuality wont be frowned upon. Family life will definitely suffer. What policies will you put in place to assist with good family values .. if any?

2. do you find anything objectionable about the doctrine of Christ and would not his guidelines and example of peace and non-violence, charity and 'love-thy-neighbour' policy, fit well into yours ?

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
Family life will definitely suffer.
I am curious about where that came from. Do you mean it to follow from homosexuality not being frowned upon, or is it from something else he said, or specifically from the adultery comment?
What has he said that suggests he would encourage adultery?

rc

Moves
26 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Rob you are a Borg, you were assimilated into the collective a long time ago.

To quote the great Zach De La Rocha -

Believing all the lies that they're telling ya,
Buying all the products that there sellin' ya,
They say 'jump', and you say 'how high'?
You're brain dead, you got a ****** bullet in your head!!
Again another massive and epic FAIL, you are the real Borgs, for you are promising
freedom and yet you exist as slaves of sin! We are reminded through counsel to use
our powers of discernment exercised through the faculty of conscience, these
references to believing lies, to buying everything, to simply follow every teaching like
sheep will not stand under scrutiny, for clearly our actions speak for themselves in the
face of horrendous pressure, NO Compromise! No talky talky and no walky walky, we
have walked the walk and continue to bring glory to the name of the most high himself!

rc

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am curious about where that came from. Do you mean it to follow from homosexuality not being frowned upon, or is it from something else he said, or specifically from the adultery comment?
have you not heard of Agers proffer about situation ethics? in that whatever ethical
stance one takes is dictated by circumstance? well well, if one finds oneself in a
compromising situation with a member of the opposite sex while married to another,
how will Agers situation ethics save that one from committing adultery? will he be
motivated enough to honour his marriage vow? or will he throw it aside as if it were of
no account based upon the relative nature of his ethical stance.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Adultery and homosexuality adversely affects family life. Religion frowns upon those activities and that helps protect family life which in my opinion is at the core of a successful society. A society that does not frown upon that, will eventually suffer. Thats my opinion.

Clearly you disagree, but you are entitled to.

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 11

Adultery and homosexuality adversely affects family life. Religion frowns upon those activities and that helps protect family life which in my opinion is at the core of a successful society. A society that does not frown upon that, will eventually suffer. Thats my opinion.

Clearly you disagree, but you are entitled to.
Yes, I disagree from many different angles. Not least of which being that I am not aware of religion having any significant impact on the amount of adultery that happens. I personally believe that religion tends to result in poor morals as it allows you to shift the blame, but I cannot support that with experience as I don't actually know many atheists other than myself and those I have met on this site.
I am an atheist, and I frown upon adultery. What is to say that other people if they became atheists would not do likewise?

But you haven't answered the real question, does Agerg specifically support adultery?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Yes, I disagree from many different angles. Not least of which being that I am not aware of religion having any significant impact on the amount of adultery that happens. I personally believe that religion tends to result in poor morals as it allows you to shift the blame, but I cannot support that with experience as I don't actually know many atheists ot ...[text shortened]... wise?

But you haven't answered the real question, does Agerg specifically support adultery?
Agergs suggested society will be neutral towards it.
Religion is negative towards it.

Negative influences must be discouraged.

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 11

Did he say that?

Did he say that morals would be discouraged?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
26 May 11
3 edits

Religion is negative towards it.

Negative influences must be discouraged.
Having been up for 26 hours now and drained from sitting my penultimate exam I'm not ready for a debate on this matter...please present the offending line of text, paragraph, post or sequence of posts. I'll look at them in more detail later. Issues such as homosexuality, infidelity, and so on were way beyond the scope of my intentions here - and no, for the record, I don't advocate adultery. Though perhaps you can prove me wrong on this.

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by Ullr
You would take away a parents rights to pass on their religous beliefs on to their children? So what then, it's the governments job to intervene into families to ensure that children are raised as atheists?
he's not talking about raising children as atheists, he wants them to be brought up to make their own choices with regards to religion when they're mature enough. i thought that i agree with, parents have no right to alter their child's though process. especially on something that is so debated as religion. bring them up with an open mind and if there grow to have a similar belief system as you, great, if not you have to respect that.

Green Boots Cave

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by Ullr
I've got to agree with Robbie here. I think it's not only the parents right but a duty to bring up their children with the spiritual beliefs and morals that they see fit. If you want to raise your kids Atheist or Catholic or Heathen or JW then by all means do so. Ultimately they will make their own choices when they're old enough anyhow but at least a parent can give them what they believe to be the correct foundation.
What you say appears to be correct and seems to be common sense.But I have a few problems with your tolerant view that indoctrinating children with religious ideas is harmless.

'If you want to raise your kids Atheist or Catholic or Heathen or JW then by all means do so.'
Would you add,for instance,the Westboro Baptist church to your list?

And,before Robbie jumps at my throat again,I am not comparing the Westboro baptist church with his group. I am only asking if your view includes all and every religious group.