"Thoughtcrimes"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
276d

@fmf said
Abuse or even torture of children for being disappointing and less than perfect.
But the parent would have to be perfect

F

Moves
276d

@rajk999 said
A man sees starving neighbour who needs help, and he thinks 'poor guy, I hope he gets help'. Another man stops and gives him food. The virtuous one is the second one and the first man thinking good thoughts count for nothing.
I think failure to act can be morally unsound.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
276d

@fmf said
So, you think there are "immoral thoughts"? If you think there is a separation between an immoral thought and a "sinful" thought, perhaps you should state what it is.
immoral defined by ethics and sinful defined by religion?
I'm not sure there is a difference for me, personally.

F

Moves
276d

@yo-its-me said
But the parent would have to be perfect
So the 'perfectness' of the Christian God figure makes the torturing of imperfect humans in burning flames for eternity morally coherent?

F

Moves
276d

@yo-its-me said
immoral defined by ethics and sinful defined by religion?
I'm not sure there is a difference for me, personally.
Then so be it.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
276d

@fmf said
And a sin; to not love your neighbour

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
276d

@fmf said
So the 'perfectness' of the Christian God figure makes the torturing of imperfect humans in burning flames for eternity morally coherent?
I don't think we'll be burned for eternity myself. I read those passages to say separated from God and all that He is; all He has created.

F

Moves
276d

@yo-its-me said
And a sin; to not love your neighbour
If you believe there is such a thing as "sin", then I will leave that pronouncement to you.

F

Moves
276d

@yo-its-me said
I don't think we'll be burned for eternity myself. I read those passages to say separated from God and all that He is; all He has created.
I don't think we'll be tortured after we die either.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
276d

@fmf said
Yes, both morally unsound from an ethical standpoint, and a sin from the teachings of Christ. Actually Jesus gave a big thumbs down when he gave the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus. The Rich Man's crime, punishable by torment in hell, was failure to act.

F

Moves
276d

@fmf said
If, for some, or even many, it takes religious faith to agree that failure to act can be morally unsound, then I welcome that perspective.

IP

Moves
275d

@yo-its-me said
If your spiritual basis is in what Jesus has said then you would have to quote Him, I think.
I guess another way of looking at things would be to ask- how do you know what's right or wrong? Or where dose your clear conscience sit?
Your second sentence refers; what do you mean? Are you saying that I can't know what is right or wrong unless I play 'Jesus said?' My conscience sits comfortably somewhere in my head.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
275d

@indonesia-phil said
Your second sentence refers; what do you mean? Are you saying that I can't know what is right or wrong unless I play 'Jesus said?' My conscience sits comfortably somewhere in my head.
You're right, it was a poor question.
I meant to ask that feeling of right and wrong- if you weren't created with it, where do you feel it comes from?

F

Moves
275d
1 edit

@yo-its-me said
that feeling of right and wrong- if you weren't created with it, where do you feel it comes from?
You think our sense of "right and wrong" is evidence that we were "created" by... what?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
275d

@fmf said
You think our sense of "right and wrong" is evidence that we were "created" by... what?
Yes, I do.
To know how to tell if something is true. To reason, to have a built in feeling of fair and not fair feels like it can't be just atoms colliding that caused that.
To me anyway.
i guess to someone who doesn't believe in God it makes sense that it just 'is'?
It can't come out of nowhere in my opinion.
Don't you think this knowledge in us comes from outside of us?