1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Aug '23 18:54
    @fmf said
    @moonbus
    I don't think @star-luck-key's problem is so much the Holocaust, but rather that his narcissism renders him oblivious to the sheer malignancy of what he propagates.

Whether one offers facts, as you have done, a declaration of disgust [as Suzianne has done], or a not entirely groundless ad hominem, as I am doing here, I don't think it matters.

Either way, our pushback will only serve to deepen his sense of validation and importance.
    Well, the Germans did have submarines, so they must have had the technology to construct water-tight hatches, with rubber seals.

😀
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    20 Aug '23 00:07
    @yo-its-me said
    I don't agree that it's religion/religious books that causes wars. It's people using religion/religious books. People can use religion/religious books for peace too.

Putting thoughts to one side, for the time being. Can I ask you who you think is the criminal in a war?
    Take the atomic bomb for example, there are lots of people to choose from- the scientists/ the funders ...[text shortened]... ed opinion. I am not Catholic. I find that version of Christianity perverse for a number of reasons.
    I don't think you can so easily disassociate religion from the people who practice it. I don't condemn religion per se, and of course a lot of 'good' comes of all religions. I've just returned home to Sulawesi from a week in Bali, where Hindu beliefs and rituals add beauty to the daily lives of people, and those fortunate enough to witness them. My point was that things didn't change very much in a general sense pre and post the Bible, our species will always it seems find something to fight about, it's in our 'nature', if it ain't religion it will be something else.

Where in my ever so humble opinion, which is nothing more that, things start to go awry is when religion dictates to people what they should wear, or how they should think about themselves. The whole idea of 'original sin', which puts people on some endless guilt - trip, or the idea which is propagated by many, and even some here, that children must suffer for the sins of their parents, puts me right off my breakfast.

As for nuclear bombs and whatnot, I can't really unwrap all the ethics of that. (And certainly not before breakfast) I spent a few of my formative years in the 60's and was greatly influenced by the 'Peace Movement', and I suppose I could be said to be a 'pacifist'; all life is sacred, I step over ants on pavements, that kind of thing, but perhaps in war different ethics apply, and it just becomes a matter of numbers; which side has the longest lances, or the best archers, or the most effective bombs. It's tricky, and I don't pretend to have the answer to that one....
  3. MAPLEWOOD, MN HEAVEN
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 04:18

Removed by poster

4. S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 04:24
    @fmf said
    There can be no "thoughtcrimes" except perhaps in some kind of dystopia.

Morality governs the interactive behaviour of humans, not their thoughts, in and of themselves.

What are your innocent thoughts on this?
    There is a lot of talk about free will and this sort of thing...

We are advised to pray regularly so that we can develop the headspace for free will.

On the eve of my baptism, the Bishop actually stated that acts of free will can be exceptionally rare...

So, the point would actually be for us to break free from the mental state that we are in...

Trapped in sin, as they say.

I would also emphasize that there is nothing wrong with intrusive thoughts, as this can be said to be occasionally even the action of demons, but the big problem is wallowing in dark, immoral thoughts.

Tell me: if someone enjoyed fantasizing about lewd acts with minors, wouldn't you think that there is something wrong with their mental life?
  5. MAPLEWOOD, MN HEAVEN
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 04:29
    @FMF
    All religions are man made. The Bible is clearly written it seems for animals & other species vs. for humans.

At least parts of it. Which makes it some times difficult to follow or understand occasionally.

It's a tool that can be used for the good.

Everyone knows & remembers that if everyone focuses strictly on the "good", guess what happens?

Everyone soon enough is announcing, "everything happens for the "good"! & Everyone is complimenting each other.

Peace be with you my friend.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 05:03
    @star-luck-key removed their quoted post
    You're apologizing for being a Holocaust denier?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 05:09
    @philokalia said
    Tell me: if someone enjoyed fantasizing about lewd acts with minors, wouldn't you think that there is something wrong with their mental life?
    Of course. I'd see it as being very unhealthy. But how would I know about it? They'd have to tell me about it for it to be immoral. Speaking to someone about it might legitimately be defined as an action. I believe that morality governs action and interaction.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 08:43
    @philokalia said
    We are advised to pray regularly so that we can develop the headspace for free will.
    Where are “we” advised to do this please?
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 22:29
    @philokalia said
    There is a lot of talk about free will and this sort of thing...

On the eve of my baptism, the Bishop actually stated that acts of free will can be exceptionally rare...

So, the point would actually be for us to break free from the mental state that we are in... ...[text shortened]... bout lewd acts with minors, wouldn't you think that there is something wrong with their mental life?
    'Trapped in sin' as who says?

Could 'Breaking free from the mental state that we are in.' also include breaking free from religious dogma?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Aug '23 22:31
    @star-luck-key said
    @FMF
    Everyone knows & remembers that if everyone focuses strictly on the "good", guess what happens?
    People start claiming there was no Holocaust?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree