1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 15:32
    I personally know a Tibetan Buddhist monk who is now 72 years old. I've known him for about 8 years. Since he was a young man he has dedicated his life to easing others' suffering in many ways. He teachs whoever is interested about how to attain peace by looking within at their own minds, the ground of all experience.

He is scholarly in the appropriate setting and he also displays genuine humility in all situations. His thoughts always seem to be about helping others, because he devotes so much time listening to and encouraging people. I've seen him drawn and very tired, yet still giving his time without reservation.

He is the director of a number of beneficial projects, some of which give schooling and healthcare to impoverished children that otherwise would go without. As he is a simple monk, he owns very little in the way of material posessions.

If this wonderfully selfless person is hellbound because of any reason whatsoever, then so-called "heaven" is not worthy of the name.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 15:36
    Originally posted by eagles54
    I personally know a Tibetan Buddhist monk who is now 72 years old. I've known him for about 8 years. Since he was a young man he has dedicated his life to easing others' suffering in many ways. He teachs whoever is interested about how to attain peace by looking within at their own minds, the ground of all experience.

He is scholarly in the appropriate ...[text shortened]... lbound because of any reason whatsoever, then so-called "heaven" is not worthy of the name.
    It is for this reason that I am decidedly Agnostic and believe that the God of Christianity as described in the Holy Bible is a fraud.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 15:38
    If this wonderfully selfless person is hellbound because of any reason whatsoever, then so-called "heaven" is not worthy of the name.
    What if he's secretly been abusing kids?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 15:39
    Originally posted by darvlay
    It is for this reason that I am decidedly Agnostic and believe that the God of Christianity as described in the Holy Bible is a fraud.
    Liar. Admit that with your avowed hatred of hippies, you never gave JC a chance.
  5. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 15:57
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What if he's secretly been abusing kids?
    Maybe there is someone you know who is as concerned with helping others as the man I've described. I certainly hope so.

I could raise the same question as you have. It would be just as unwarranted and disrespectful, too.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:00
    He teachs whoever is interested about how to attain peace by looking within at their own minds, the ground of all experience.

Matthew 19:14
    Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

If your friend is teaching people things contrary to what God has revealed, no matter how pure you find him, his efforts are for naught. A true friend would tell him the truth about God, so that the honorable man does not end ignobly.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If your friend is teaching people things contrary to what God has revealed, no matter how pure you find him, his efforts are for naught. A true friend would tell him the truth about God, so that the honorable man does not end ignobly.
    ...and you thought my post was offensive.

Prepare for more of the same.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:101 edit
    ...and you thought my post was offensive.

Prepare for more of the same.
    My post acknowledged the man's honor without denigrating his intents. The lack of couth in your post is indicative of the overall rudeness frequently found on these threads and posts.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:21
    My post acknowledged the man's honor without denigrating his intents. The lack of couth in your post is indicative of the overall rudeness frequently found on these threads and posts.
    My post was a joke. You seriously believe he is headed for hell.

That, to me, is more worrying than a "lack of couth".
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:29

Supposedly, in your neck of the woods, pedophiles are as numerous as town drunks and just as harmless. Sure, that's funny.
    Additionally, staining a man's reputation is a form of affection. You're a warm, loving human being with an innate sense of humor.
  11. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:32
    He teaches persons how to relieve their suffering and attain happiness.

That certainly cannot be outside of God's wishes.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:46

You have to give him credit though; at least he has the guts to enter into debate on this important topic. Mundane theological discussions on interpretation of biblical scripture and the like are so amazingly irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

But sadly, this thread is likely to be ignored by the rest of the Christians here because their version of the truth is downright ugly and they know it.
  13. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:51
    But sadly, this thread is likely to be ignored by the rest of the Christians here because their version of the truth is downright ugly and they know it.
    Really? Do you know what my version of the truth is? Do you know that I believe that all non-Christians are automatically doomed for Hell?

If not, then why make such generalisations?
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 16:541 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Really? Do you know what my version of the truth is? Do you know that I believe that all non-Christians are automatically doomed for Hell?

If not, then why make such generalisations?
    Feel free to tell me your version, LH, and I will gladly retract my statement if it is warranted.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 17:03
    You have to give him credit though
    Mundane theological
    amazingly irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.
    truth is downright ugly and they know it.
    Entering into the debate with (so-called) jokes? Credit denied.
    "Mundane theological" is an antithetical phrase.
    "Amazingly irrelevant" doesn't quite fit the bill, considering eagle's question relative to whether or not his friend will end up in heaven.

When one considers what it is that Jesus Christ has done, the truth is the most beautiful thing to ever touch the earth. And I know it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree