1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:12
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    It could be the latter; but it depends on a number of factors - the nature and scope of the misunderstanding or cultural conditioning, the reasons for rejection, the person's motivation to lead an exemplary life etc.
    Let's say someone is brought up in the worship of Krishna--this person has a sincere devotion for Krishna, never dreams of following another path, and displays faith the like of which lesser mortals dream. Salvation assured?
  2. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Let's say someone is brought up in the worship of Krishna--this person has a sincere devotion for Krishna, never dreams of following another path, and displays faith the like of which lesser mortals dream. Salvation assured?
    What does this person know of the Gospel? What kind of life does he lead? What is his motivation for worshipping Krishna? These factors play into his state of soul.

All else being equal, however, I would say - yes.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:24
    What does this person know of the Gospel? What kind of life does he lead? What is his motivation for worshipping Krishna?
    She was brought up in the faith; has read the Gospel; is convinced that Krishna & Jesus are both expressions of the divine. Practices bhakti yoga with selfless devotion.
  4. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:281 edit
    Only a person in a state of mortal sin is condemned to Hell.
    Thank you for the clarification.

As the person who is the subject of this thread is entirely uninterested in his own benefit, I can only believe that God would approve of the way he lives his life.

incorrect pronoun edit
  5. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:36
    She was brought up in the faith; has read the Gospel; is convinced that Krishna & Jesus are both expressions of the divine. Practices bhakti yoga with selfless devotion.
    Based on everything you say, your friend is not headed for Hell at the moment. She may have a few surprises waiting in Purgatory, though! 🙂

The bhakti movement is the closest thing in Hinduism to Christianity. While I still think it is somewhat off the mark, that's a matter of comparative theology and philosophy. In practice, the similarities far outweigh the differences.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:47
    As promised, I retract my earlier statement. LH also has guts.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 19:57
    Originally posted by darvlay
    As promised, I retract my earlier statement. LH also has guts.
    That I agree with.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 20:53
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What if he's secretly been abusing kids?
    Then he'd be no worse than many Christian priests, bishops and the like.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:38
    I'm neither backtracking nor apologising.
    What a surprise.

Maybe if you listened and understood more and preached less you would be a better Christian.
    Now, in your ignorance and rejection of all things Christianity-related, you are able to instruct others on how to become better at it?

Maybe if you were more arrogant and stubborn, instead of just being a half-baked atheist, you'd start your own manipulative religion, based on your supreme understanding of the weak faith-dependent mind, and actually benefit monetarily from your intuitiveness.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:41
    Originally posted by eagles54
    And where do you get your information on the differing levels of reward in heaven?
    The reward system is not a new doctrine, if that's what you mean.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 22:52
    Let's say... Salvation assured?
    It was but a matter of time before the whole issue was transferred to the 'what if' realm, and believers were asked to sit in on judging hypothetical situations.

While we are accountable for what we know, and for what is revealed, God knows the mind. Those who wish to come up with all the exceptions, the yeah-buts/what-ifs are simply attempting to exonerate themselves from accountability. They will find no such comfort in the messages from Jesus. Unless a man is born again, he will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
  12. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 23:04
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Then he'd be no worse than many Christian priests, bishops and the like.
    Or other Buddhist monks for that matter:

http://www.caymannetnews.com/Archive/Archive%20Articles/July%202002/Issue%20208/Buddhisms.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3175846.stm

But then, using the evil minority to knock the good majority seems to be the sport of the season - so roll on!
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 23:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I'm neither backtracking nor apologising.
    What a surprise.

Maybe if you listened and understood more and preached less you would be a better Christian.
    Now, in your ignorance and rejection of all things Christianity-related, you are able to instruct others on how to become better at it?

Maybe if you were more arrogant and stubborn, ...[text shortened]... ing of the weak faith-dependent mind, and actually benefit monetarily from your intuitiveness.[/b]
    Well that was a terribly well-reasoned post, wasn't it?

Look, if you are happy with a gameshow God, who hands out eternal salvation only to those who believe in him no matter what their circumstances, that's fine by me. If you are happy with a jealous God who none the less teaches us jealousy is bad, that's also fine with me. It's none of my business.

It's interesting, though, that you resort so quickly to personal attacks against a person you do not know.

There seems to be a lot of hatred in your heart.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 00:181 edit
    Calm down, sweetheart. It'll be okay.

Look, if you are happy with a gameshow God, who hands out eternal salvation only to those who believe in him no matter what their circumstances, that's fine by me.
    Only to those who believe in Him? Wow, have you been woefully misinformed. No wonder you're so bent against the whole thing; I would be to, if that were my understanding. [Accountability warning: do not read this next line is you don't want the truth] God does not 'grant' salvation based on someone's belief in Him. Salvation has been granted everyone. His existence is not the issue. The issue in salvation is accepting what the Lord Jesus Christ did on the cross as your payment. That is it!

It's interesting, though, that you resort so quickly to personal attacks against a person you do not know.
    I can assume by 'personal attack,' you are alluding to my labeling you as 'arrogant and stubborn.' Help me through this one, if you don't mind? If God calls a person who does not yield to Him, arrogant, what should I call the same person?
    If a person is caught in an especially vulgar faux pas, but refuses to apologize for the same, what should the same be called, if not stubborn?
    As you certainly are not ignorant, in terms of general education, what other adjectives would have been more fitting?
    Perhaps I should have called you a pedophile?

There seems to be a lot of hatred in your heart.
    Nothing but love, stranger, nothing but love. Okay, every once and while, there's a little perturbed that gets in there, a smattering of arrogance, and just a scosh of lust every once and a while, but other than those hiccups, nothing but love.
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 13:20
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The reward system is not a new doctrine, if that's what you mean.
    Where may I read about the heavenly reward system? I'm very interested in it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree