1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:19
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    The Golden Rule always works, even if others don't practice it.

-k
    Well, then maybe you can show me how it works by getting through to sunhouse, VoidSpirit, Proper Knob, googlefudge, FMF, and a host of others on this forum. I wish you the best of luck. 😏
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:21
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Actually I was looking for you to respond to the question I raised which you seem to have chosen to ignore.

I'll be happy to the germane points of your post after you respond to my post in a like manner.
    I think it's enough for parties to be "polite" with one another, and I think parties can bring what they want. We are all exposed to different things, have different education levels, different ideas and different set of morals. The goal is civility, sometimes that lacks in forums. IMO

-k
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, then maybe you can show me how it works by getting through to sunhouse, VoidSpirit, Proper Knob, googlefudge, FMF, and a host of others on this forum. I wish you the best of luck. 😏
    I think that may be your challenge, you have the history, no?

-k
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:27
    I think it's enough for parties to be "polite" with one another, and I think parties can bring what they want. We are all exposed to different things, have different education levels, different ideas and different set of morals. The goal is civility, sometimes that lacks in forums. IMO

-k
    So your goal is only to be civil in your discussions, nothing more?
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:311 edit
    Well, then maybe you can show me how it works by getting through to sunhouse, VoidSpirit, Proper Knob, googlefudge, FMF, and a host of others on this forum. I wish you the best of luck. 😵
    The posters you list all conduct themselves far, far, far more politely than you do Mr Hinds, even in conversation with you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:32
    I am only a technician at the moment, so it is local repeaters only. I am fairly new to the hobby, but am working towards General and Extra, and will probably be testing them together... then look out. Where do you operate, any bands on echolink?

-k
    So, you live in Rochester, not ALL that far apart, I live north of Allentown, Pa.

We could link up on a linked repeater, my club is the Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club, I'll ask them about links to Rochester.

Do you know the splits and PL's of the 2 meter repeaters? Do you get on 440 or 220? I only have a peanut whistle handitalki but my mobile rig can go from 1.8 mhz to 450. It's an Icom 706, nice little 100 watt rig. Right now I am preparing my car for ham use, I need to quiet down the ignition, which is a spark gap transmitter right now🙂

I went through the ranks, first as KN6QDT as novice, then K6QDT (Quit Doing Tobacco)! Then got extra in Pa, found a nice vanity call AI3N. Which reminds me, I have to renew.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 21:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So, you live in Rochester, not ALL that far apart, I live north of Allentown, Pa.

We could link up on a linked repeater, my club is the Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club, I'll ask them about links to Rochester.

Do you know the splits and PL's of the 2 meter repeaters? Do you get on 440 or 220? I only have a peanut whistle handitalki but my mobile rig ...[text shortened]... cco)! Then got extra in Pa, found a nice vanity call AI3N. Which reminds me, I have to renew.
    You should join the USCF and go to Philadephia to play chess for prize money in the World Open next 4th of July weedend.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 21:17

-k
    Hopefully the following will address the address the germane points of your last two posts to me. If you want me to more pointedly address specific points, just point them out.

Do you really believe the goal should be “civility”? If so, why did you entitle this thread as “To seek or to argue"? Unless you meant seeking “civility” rather than “truth” which is how I took it. If you did mean “seek truth”, then how can “truth” be found in an environment lacking openness, honesty (including intellectual honesty), forthrightness, , etc. ? What’s more, there’s nothing “civil” about dishonesty. No matter how "politely" dishonesty is delivered, it's still reprehensible and should be called out (or, if you will, have the light of truth shined upon it).
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 22:56
    Hopefully the following will address the address the germane points of your last two posts to me. If you want me to more pointedly address specific points, just point them out.

Do you really believe the goal should be “civility”? If so, why did you entitle this thread as “To seek or to argue"? Unless you meant seeking “civility” rather than “truth” wh ...[text shortened]... hensible and should be called out (or, if you will, have the light of truth shined upon it).
    Precisely.

When someone tells you that they think that you will spend an eternity being tortured
    and that you will deserve it and that they are looking forward to watching and feeling
    smug about it...

Why on earth should you be polite to, or respect that person?

When someone blatantly lies and refuses to engage in any kind of reasoned debate...

Why on earth should you be polite to, or respect that person?

I can respect someone who is wrong but is prepared to listen to arguments and debate and
    change their mind if convinced.

I can't and wont respect someone who wont change their mind no matter what evidence or
    reasons they are given... Even IF they are right.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 00:20
    You should join the USCF and go to Philadephia to play chess for prize money in the World Open next 4th of July weedend.
    I am in the USCF and I did play there a few years ago, won 4 games but that was not enough to even get close to winning money. There were a bunch of 6 and 0's, where they won all their games, maybe 4 of them. So even winning all your games is not a guarantee of getting in the money. My rating at the time was about 1650 or so. Now it is about 100 points higher.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 00:44
    Do you think it's enough for all parties to be "polite" or do you think all parties also need to bring openness, honesty (including intellectual honesty), forthrightness, etc.? From what I can tell, the lack of the latter is usually what precipitates the lack of the former.

For example, though I only skimmed some of the exchanges between G75 and FMF, ...[text shortened]... uently "played the victim" (as in this thread) makes his behavior all the more appalling
    Perhaps nothing I say means anything to you. I'm sure it doesn't as many of your post allude to.
    I usually hope to have a decent discussion with anyone here and I hope that just maybe, I can share something good from the Bible that I have learned by studing it.
    This world doesn't offer much hope for the future and mankind but in turn the Bible does even without many seeing it. I do see it as millions of others do and we want to share it to whoever may be looking for a safe future for themselves and their families.
    I know and expect that most here do not agree or see it as I do and do expect these type responces.
    But just because I expect it and it does happen does not mean I like it. I'm sure there are many things said to you that you don't like.
    So when I feel, yes I am a real human sitting here typing this in front of this keyboard, I am being harassed by such ones as FMF, it gets old and irritating and he knows that. It seems he is either so dence with comprehension, which I seriously doubt because in reality I think he's probaly a very intellegent person, so I have to conclude he is just being a pest with questions that sometimes can't be answered in the way he wants.
    My opinion of this situation just as anyone else has theirs.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So when I feel, yes I am a real human sitting here typing this in front of this keyboard, I am being harassed by such ones as FMF, it gets old and irritating and he knows that. It seems he is either so dence with comprehension, which I seriously doubt because in reality I think he's probaly a very intellegent person, so I have to conclude he is just being a pest with questions that sometimes can't be answered in the way he wants.
    This is a debate forum. I point out the inconsistencies or contradictions in the things you and others say; my antennae are somewhat alert to vanity/victimhood and disguised misanthropy. There are few regular posters here who are less able to process dissent than you, or as abject and hapless at communicating than you. You repeatedly resort to claiming I am doing the "work of Satan", a degree of poisonous personal invective that I never get anywhere near indulging in. Whatever floats your boats, I suppose.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 02:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is a debate forum. I point out the inconsistencies or contradictions in the things you and others say; my antennae are somewhat alert to vanity/victimhood and disguised misanthropy. There are few regular posters here who are less able to process dissent than you, or as abject and hapless at communicating than you. You repeatedly resort to claiming I am doin ...[text shortened]... invective that I never get anywhere near indulging in. Whatever floats your boats, I suppose.
    Same to you....
  14. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 03:051 edit
    The atheists do not seek spiritual truth. They only want to argue against it, because they do not believe and have no respect for 'morons" like me, who do.
    Now, now. Be more realistic. I mean, yes, the Atheists (here and on any forum that I've seen) tend to generally be dismissive and argumentative toward any believer. But I think all Atheists and Agnostics, to some degree at least, DO seek truth.

In our opinions, as believers, we've FOUND the truth; the essential truth, anyway. So by attrition, the only truth seekers among us would be the Atheists and Agnostics. Even if an Atheist/Agnostic is entirely convinced by Evolution Theory, etc., these ideas go nowhere in explaining the afterlife. It is completely natural for an Atheist/Agnostic to be curious about the afterlife and other things science can't explain--whether they believe what they hear or not.
  15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 03:151 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is a debate forum.
    No. This is a discussion board. If this were specifically a debate forum, there would be no reason for a forum called "debates" which is obviously reserved specifically for.. debates.

However, your belief that this is a debate forum goes far in explaining why you seem so eager to challenge anything said by those whom you oppose. A believer could simply say "the sky is blue," and I expect you would question the poster's integrity and go on about the molecules in the atmosphere reflecting other colors as well, not to mention night time, etc. etc.

If your objective is to conjure up a debate no matter what your opposition says, then obviously to arrive at the truth through the mutual sharing of ideas, is not your objective. Thanks for sharing, and putting my curiosity to rest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree