1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 16:55
    I am a bit new around here but think I have a fairly good handle on the regular players, and the out comes of constructive debate. It seems as any thread, no matter how started ends up off topic (rabbit holes) and leaves people pissed. I have seen a lot or articulation in making points, I for one am not very good at this... And will probably not win many.

I am just wondering, do we seek or are we just arguing? Seems to be very little respect for one another.

-k
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 17:18
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    I am a bit new around here but think I have a fairly good handle on the regular players, and the out comes of constructive debate. It seems as any thread, no matter how started ends up off topic (rabbit holes) and leaves people pissed. I have seen a lot or articulation in making points, I for one am not very good at this... And will probably not win many. ...[text shortened]... ring, do we seek or are we just arguing? Seems to be very little respect for one another.

-k
    I agree and truly wish it weren't that way here. And yes you are correct it usually ends up in arguements and even insults.
    The tactic lately by a few here is to hound ones with the same question after question and even when it is answered by ones best ability, it does not end.
    It does seem that some are here not to learn or grow with knowledge but to simply attack and irritate.
    I wish for one week at least as a trial to have all here honestly converse with each other in a respectful and diplomatic way.
    Who knows, could it happen?
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 17:26
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I agree and truly wish it weren't that way here. And yes you are correct it usually ends up in arguements and even insults.
    The tactic lately by a few here is to hound ones with the same question after question and even when it is answered by ones best ability, it does not end.
    It does seem that some are here not to learn or grow with knowledge but ...[text shortened]... stly converse with each other in a respectful and diplomatic way.
    Who knows, could it happen?
    Maybe you hit on something, I am after all comfortable with myself and feel no insecurity. Maybe we can say this .... Those interested in the exercise of common courtesy to one another, prefix your new threads with 'CC:' for common courtesy And let's see where it goes. When somebody does not agree with a point of view, let's try to learn from others. Our views do not need to be in agreement with one another, just exercise respectt for one another. A novel idea in deed.

Mutual respect, can it be done in a chess forum?

-k
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 17:341 edit
    I am a bit new around here but think I have a fairly good handle on the regular players, and the out comes of constructive debate. It seems as any thread, no matter how started ends up off topic (rabbit holes) and leaves people pissed. I have seen a lot or articulation in making points, I for one am not very good at this... And will probably not win many. ...[text shortened]... ring, do we seek or are we just arguing? Seems to be very little respect for one another.

-k
    I have been told that the Spirituality forum was formed to contain the religious arguments that were irritating people in the Debates forum (which is largely political). So if true, the forum's charter is irritating argumentation.

There are regulars who know regulars of the opposite persuasion well enough to follow them around to expose and pick apart their pronouncements (in their own minds). It's quite repetitive.

Another factor is the Online Disinhibition Effect. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

Further, when it comes to faith and religion, two people can look at the same thing and see opposite explanations for it.

Finally, IMO, the subject matter is of such importance to many people here that it justifies their unending persistence, either to save the world via religion, or to save the world from religion.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 17:36
    Maybe you hit on something, I am after all comfortable with myself and feel no insecurity. Maybe we can say this .... Those interested in the exercise of common courtesy to one another, prefix your new threads with 'CC:' for common courtesy And let's see where it goes. When somebody does not agree with a point of view, let's try to learn from others. Our v ...[text shortened]... ne another. A novel idea in deed.

Mutual respect, can it be done in a chess forum?

-k
    Not a bad thought....
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 18:07
    Finally, IMO, the subject matter is of such importance to many people here that it justifies their unending persistence, either to save the world via religion, or to save the world from religion.[/b]
    I knew not everybody would be onboard, tis ok though. Points of view and opinions are better conveyed and more convincing when the walls of defense don’t go up. Once they do, your only wasting your breath, IMO.

-k
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 20:05
    I knew not everybody would be onboard, tis ok though. Points of view and opinions are better conveyed and more convincing when the walls of defense don’t go up. Once they do, your only wasting your breath, IMO.

-k
    It's ok to be defensive and speak your mind. But it's really not ok to get rude and call people names or to press a subject beyond common sense. If a person says they've answered a thought the best they can and do not wish to continue on with it, others should respect that and move on.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '12 20:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    It's ok to be defensive and speak your mind. But it's really not ok to get rude and call people names or to press a subject beyond common sense. If a person says they've answered a thought the best they can and do not wish to continue on with it, others should respect that and move on.
    I agree!

-k
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 21:40

-k
    it's a fine line sumtimes. one-offs can often be funny. repetition is just very annoying.

tis in our very natures to be arguementative, then again it is in our potentials to change that
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 00:381 edit

-k
    The atheists do not seek spiritual truth. They only want to argue against it, because they do not believe and have no respect for 'morons" like me, who do. I on the other hand do not respect those that do not respect that I can believe in the supernatural and spiritual and still be just as intelligent as the next person. When they argue from ignorance and stupidity, I do not lack the courage to call them on it, with even more degrading language than I have received, in the same way that I invision Jesus might do if He were here today.

Some see Christ as a meek person who would turn the other cheek to prevent a confrontation. However, I see Him as a strong willed individual that is not afraid to go to war and would go toe-to-toe in standing up for the truth of His beliefs.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 01:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The atheists do not seek spiritual truth. They only want to argue against it, because they do not believe and have no respect for 'morons" like me, who do. I on the other hand do not respect those that do not respect that I can believe in the supernatural and spiritual and still be just as intelligent as the next person. When they argue from ignorance and ...[text shortened]... standing up for the truth of His beliefs.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    Look, Ron, could you just stop throwing the gauntlet down?

Maybe that's all it takes.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 01:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They only want to argue against it, because they do not believe and have no respect for 'morons" like me, who do. I on the other hand do not respect those that do not respect that I can believe in the supernatural and spiritual and still be just as intelligent as the next person. When they argue from ignorance and stupidity, I do not lack the courage to ca ...[text shortened]... ge than I have received, in the same way that I invision Jesus might do if He were here today.
    Do you see yourself as an effective advocate of your Christian beliefs?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 01:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you see yourself as an effective advocate of your Christian beliefs?
    Depends on what his agenda is, doesn't it?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 01:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Depends on what his agenda is, doesn't it?
    Do you mean he might - for example - be seeking to bring into disrepute the things he purports to profess?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 01:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Look, Ron, could you just stop throwing the gauntlet down?

Maybe that's all it takes.
    Why do you view me as the one throwing the gauntlet down? Are you really immune?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree