To seek or to argue?

To seek or to argue?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
So, you live in Rochester, not ALL that far apart, I live north of Allentown, Pa.

We could link up on a linked repeater, my club is the Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club, I'll ask them about links to Rochester.

Do you know the splits and PL's of the 2 meter repeaters? Do you get on 440 or 220? I only have a peanut whistle handitalki but my mobile rig cco)! Then got extra in Pa, found a nice vanity call AI3N. Which reminds me, I have to renew.
The two popular freq's around here are

2 Meter, 146.880 – (PL 110.9), K2RRA, Echolink K2RRA-R
2 Meter, 146.610 – (PL 110.9), N2MPE, Echolink N2MPE-R

There are others, but I listen on these and also use echolink. Do you have a smartphone? You could download the software or visit the site.

http://echolink.org/, pretty handy.

Also, club site.

http://www.rochesterhamfest.org

-k

T

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by kd2acz
The two popular freq's around here are

2 Meter, 146.880 – (PL 110.9), K2RRA, Echolink K2RRA-R
2 Meter, 146.610 – (PL 110.9), N2MPE, Echolink N2MPE-R

There are others, but I listen on these and also use echolink. Do you have a smartphone? You could download the software or visit the site.

http://echolink.org/, pretty handy.

Also, club site.

http://www.rochesterhamfest.org

-k
Did you miss my response to your post? It's in the middle of Page 3.

I'd appreciate a response.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
From what I've seen, by and large FMF is doing just as he claims: "...point[ing] out the inconsistencies or contradictions in the things you and others say". Instead of directly addressing his points, you, RC, et al., often avoid doing so . So he keeps putting it in front of you. Why don't you simply directly address his points instead of avoiding it and ...[text shortened]... ability to do so likely stems from pride (which I hope you'll agree is not a good thing).
The lack of explaining is not the problem here and you know it. The problem here is FMF's lack to understand the answers and in turn he pushes the issue beyond reason.
He does this with me and from what i see everyone here. It must be a fetish of somekind to do this by him and a sick one in my opinion as was clearly shown in the thread " Please pray for this family" where he showed his true lack of concern and passion for anyone but himself in trying to make some point of some kind.........

k

Moves
26 Oct 12

Hopefully the following will address the address the germane points of your last two posts to me. If you want me to more pointedly address specific points, just point them out.

Do you really believe the goal should be “civility”? If so, why did you entitle this thread as “To seek or to argue"? Unless you meant seeking “civility” rather than “truth” wh ...[text shortened]... hensible and should be called out (or, if you will, have the light of truth shined upon it).
Thinkofone,

I think people owe it to each other to be civil to one another, not because we should, or that we are human, or even because we are on top of the food chain... but because it is the decent thing to do! By civil, 'I' mean... respectful, considerate, etc. I understand there are those that will choose to belittle, insult, mock, etc. but I think taking the high road and not giving it back is the way to go, I mentioned this when I spoke of the Golden Rule. Personally, I think by doing this (the Golden Rule), it is from a position of strength not weakness.

Equally, I understand that because of education, passion, arrogance, pride?, etc. on the part of some, great pleasure is taken in the insult or making someone look foolish. I ask myself, what is gained by treating others in such ways. IMO, this goes beyond constructive debate.

Don't misunderstand me I am not perfect by any means and have offended many over the years, but you have to come to the realization and ask, why? what for?

I would rather make a friend over an enemy! I started this thread to get others to maybe think about their choice of words when communicating with one another . Also, to comment on what I saw as... well... ridonkalous. Some interchanges reminded me of schoolyard antics.

Here is food for thought, and think you may. I am generalizing here, but make it personal if you wish. Would we/you talk to people in the same manner as in the forums if you were face to face... in a cafe over coffee? Why or why not? I have seen firsthand in my life that people are different in person than behind a keyboard. I am interested to hear your thoughts.

BTW, my point in the thread title is, ‘seek’, is to seek an understanding of where the other person is coming from, ask questions and listen. There does not need to be an agreement, just an understanding. To argue is to continue on, status quo. Perhaps the way this forum is, is the way all want it to be, I am just one guy.

I have learned one interesting thing however. The forums (this one anyways) is like the game of chess itself, a game… constant positioning. Interesting.

-k

T

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by galveston75
The lack of explaining is not the problem here and you know it. The problem here is FMF's lack to understand the answers and in turn he pushes the issue beyond reason.
He does this with me and from what i see everyone here. It must be a fetish of somekind to do this by him and a sick one in my opinion as was clearly shown in the thread " Please pray f ...[text shortened]... concern and passion for anyone but himself in trying to make some point of some kind.........
You're kidding yourself.

Like I said earlier, from what I've seen, by and large he's "...point[ing] out the inconsistencies or contradictions in the things you and others say". Essentially he is "truth seeking". By forcing you to address his points, he is forcing you to also seek the truth. From what I've seen, you seem to have a large blind spot when it comes to being able to assess the inconsistencies and contradictions in the things you say. If you were able to do so, you'd be either directly address the points he is making or admit that he is right. Instead what I usually see from you is all manner of avoidance. Even your trying to place blame on him is a way of avoiding having to directly address his points.

I have no reason to believe that FMF does not "understand" the answers. I seriously doubt that what's at issue is that HE does not "understand". Ask yourself how likely it is that YOU don't "understand"? That YOU don't understand the inconsistencies and contradictions in what you say. From all appearances it's readily apparent that FMF is not only much more educated than you, he's also more intelligent than you. You should keep that in mind. You really need develop the ability to honestly assess your shortcomings. That may be a bitter pill for you to swallow, but if you believe in "seeking truth", you need to develop that ability. Right now, it seems pride is keeping you from doing so.

Moves
26 Oct 12

Thinkofone,

I think people owe it to each other to be civil to one another, not because we should, or that we are human, or even because we are on top of the food chain... but because it is the decent thing to do! By civil, 'I' mean... respectful, considerate, etc. I understand there are those that will choose to belittle, insult, mock, etc. but I think ...[text shortened]... nyways) is like the game of chess itself, a game… constant positioning. Interesting.

-k
I think the feeling that being civil is the decent thing to do is an indication that it is of value to an intelligent, socially interdependent species.

In other threads on this issue, I've mentioned the online disinhibition effect. I fall victim to it from time to time, but less often when I think first, "do this civilly" and then again before I post.

I want to give you positive reinforcement for your civil behavior on this forum and to everyone when they are civil.

Your suggestion that we imagine we are sharing a beverage with the person we are replying to, is an excellent one.

k

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by JS357

Another factor is the Online Disinhibition Effect. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

Interesting stuff, was not aware there was a term for this.

-k

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Oct 12

You're kidding yourself.

Like I said earlier, from what I've seen, by and large he's "...point[ing] out the inconsistencies or contradictions in the things you and others say". Essentially he is "truth seeking". By forcing you to address his points, he is forcing you to also seek the truth. From what I've seen, you seem to have a large blind spot whe ...[text shortened]... elop that ability. Right now, it seems pride is keeping you from doing so.
He may be with wordly things. I'm not arguing with that. But where has this got him but learning to be rude and a feeling of being better then most here?

I really don't care about his education as many times that makes ones miss the simple truths that are easy to see if one lets their mind open to that. He does not so he does not understand my answers to him or it seems you don't either.

1Cor 1:20, " Where is the wise man? Where the scribe? Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish?

James 4:6, "However, the undeserved kindness which he gives is greater. Hence it says: “God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.”

I Cor 3:19, " For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Oct 12

Interesting stuff, was not aware there was a term for this.

-k
I agree. Many here do that and it is cowardly to me....

F

Moves
26 Oct 12

I agree. Many here do that and it is cowardly to me....
Can you give an example of someone being "cowardly" towards you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Oct 12

There he goes again. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Oct 12

Thinkofone,

I think people owe it to each other to be civil to one another, not because we should, or that we are human, or even because we are on top of the food chain... but because it is the decent thing to do! By civil, 'I' mean... respectful, considerate, etc. I understand there are those that will choose to belittle, insult, mock, etc. but I think ...[text shortened]... nyways) is like the game of chess itself, a game… constant positioning. Interesting.

-k
You say, "Personally, I think by doing this (the Golden Rule), it is from a position of strength not weakness."

Personally, I think if I am being crucified on a cross, I would not be in a positon of strength. So I plan to prevent myself from being put in that position. But you are welcome to do as you please. Be my guest.
😏

T

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

Thinkofone,

I think people owe it to each other to be civil to one another, not because we should, or that we are human, or even because we are on top of the food chain... but because it is the decent thing to do! By civil, 'I' mean... respectful, considerate, etc. I understand there are those that will choose to belittle, insult, mock, etc. but I think nyways) is like the game of chess itself, a game… constant positioning. Interesting.

-k
Well, I guess I wish you'd be "respectful" enough to address the germane points of my posts 🙂 It seems you're more interested in getting on your soap box than "understanding" where I'm coming from.

I don't have anything against being 'civil' as a general rule and don't think I've said anything to indicate otherwise. Not sure why you're going on as if I do. Also I think I understand the concept and the reasons for it well enough without your having to explain it to me.

This is what you posted earlier:
I think it's enough for parties to be "polite" with one another, and I think parties can bring what they want. We are all exposed to different things, have different education levels, different ideas and different set of morals. The goal is civility, sometimes that lacks in forums. IMO

In response to the following:
Do you think it's enough for all parties to be "polite" or do you think all parties also need to bring openness, honesty (including intellectual honesty), forthrightness, etc.? From what I can tell, the lack of the latter is usually what precipitates the lack of the former.

Based on the above, it seems you are of the opinion that so long as people are "polite" about it, everything else is okay. An implication of this is that if people are dishonest or otherwise deceitful; advocating treating women as second class citizens, Islamophobia, homophobia, etc.; and so on, it's okay so long as they're "polite". I sincerely hope that that isn't what you mean. Is it?

T

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

He may be with wordly things. I'm not arguing with that. But where has this got him but learning to be rude and a feeling of being better then most here?

I really don't care about his education as many times that makes ones miss the simple truths that are easy to see if one lets their mind open to that. He does not so he does not understand my answer rld is foolishness with God; for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning.
From what I've seen, all he does is point out inconsistencies and contradictions in what you say. Is this what you find "rude"? It seems to be what you keep complaining about. It's a juvenile attitude to have.

You're kidding yourself if you believe that the problem doesn't rest with you. You can delude yourself into believing that it's because he "miss[es] the simple truths", but that doesn't make it true. That you use scripture to support your delusion is appalling.

k

Moves
26 Oct 12

Well, I guess I wish you'd be "respectful" enough to address the germane points of my posts 🙂 It seems you're more interested in getting on your soap box than "understanding" where I'm coming from.

I don't have anything against being 'civil' as a general rule and don't think I've said anything to indicate otherwise. Not sure why you're going on as if ...[text shortened]... ey're "polite". I sincerely hope that that isn't what you mean. Is it?
Well I have answered your question the best way I know how, can't really add to it. I don't pretend to be doing anything more than anyone else here, chatting. There is no soapbox, I have no agenda. Want to play a game of chess? I am only 1150 or so, but would be glad to play a game with you?

-k