1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 05:54
    @divegeester said
    Unfortunately, in this analogy, there is no thermometer indoors to tell what the temperature outside is. Therefore opinions about the temperature outside remain just that, subjective opinions.
    If someone is of the opinion that it is 40degrees outside and it turns out that it was in fact 40 degrees outside is their opinion still subjective?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 06:31
    @dj2becker said
    If someone is of the opinion that it is 40degrees outside and it turns out that it was in fact 40 degrees outside is their opinion still subjective?
    This analogy is a dud. We are talking about things like your superstition and my lack of superstition. Not gravity. Not temperature.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 06:361 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Sure, if I’m wrong. But what if I’m right? Is there any way for you to tell that I’m wrong?
    "But what if I’m right?"

Me spending time wondering whether you are right about your God figure will not turn your opinions into objective truths.

You spending time wondering whether you are right about your God figure ~ and whether my opinion is wrong ~ will not turn your opinions into objective truths.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 06:591 edit
    @dj2becker said
    I refer you back to my previous reply to you 7 posts down on the previous page. Obviously you missed it.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 12:31
    @fmf said
    Your opinion that the assertion "God exists" is "true" is your personal subjective opinion.
    Since you have no observable evidence it is only your opinion that God does not exist, therefore you are unqualified to assert that it is another's subjective opinion that God exists.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 12:39
    @secondson said
    Since you have no observable evidence it is only your opinion that God does not exist, therefore you are unqualified to assert that it is another's subjective opinion that God exists.
    It is not my opinion that "God does not exist". You have made this error about me maybe half a dozen times and I have pointed out your error to you every time. Repeatedly offering deliberate errors as a form of rhetoric is dreadfully weak debating.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 12:42
    @secondson said
    No matter how qualified or unqualified one claims someone is regarding faith related to supernatural causality, it does not transform subjectivity into objectivity.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:04
    @fmf said
    It is not my opinion that "God does not exist".
    If it's not your opinion, then what is it?
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:08
    @fmf said
    You have made this error about me maybe half a dozen times and I have pointed out your error to you every time.
    You've done a poor job of it.

You deny the existence of God. Is that your subjective opinion, of is it an observable objective fact?
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:09
    @fmf said
    Repeatedly offering deliberate errors as a form of rhetoric is dreadfully weak debating.
    Deliberate? Don't be obtuse.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:13
    @secondson said
    You've done a poor job of it.

You deny the existence of God. Is that your subjective opinion, of is it an observable objective fact?
    I don't deny the existence of a God or Gods. I lack belief in a God or Gods.

Both your personal opinions and my personal opinions about supernatural things - including your God figure - are subjective and not objective.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:16
    @secondson said
    Deliberate? Don't be obtuse.
    You have claimed I believe "God does exist" at least six times. I have corrected you at least six times. And yet you behave like the guy in Memento. If it's not 'deliberate', what then?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:191 edit
    @secondson said
    If it's not your opinion, then what is it?
    My perspective is exactly the same as it was the previous six or so times I explained it to you.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:19
    @fmf said
    No matter how qualified or unqualified one claims someone is regarding faith related to supernatural causality, it does not transform subjectivity into objectivity.
    On the contrary, you render yourself unqualified by asserting that the truth is based on subjectivity.

If something is, then it is regardless of one's subjective reaction.

Your error is that you file everything that is as a subjective opinion, when in fact what is truth exists independent of subjective opinion, even if a subjective response appropriate.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 13:24
    @secondson said
    On the contrary, you render yourself unqualified by asserting that the truth is based on subjectivity.
    You haven't read my posts on this thread. I am asserting that what you claim to be "the truth" regarding supernatural causality and "divine" law are rooted in your subjectivity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree