Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Oct 19

@fmf said
Because people's speculations about spiritual matters is an interesting subject for debate and discussion.
Well good for you if you believe discussing things that are impossible to be true is interesting.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
Well good for you if you believe discussing things that are impossible to be true is interesting.
Thanks. If I didn't find it interesting, I wouldn't bother contributing to this community's discussions. Good for you if you believe that your faith regarding supernatural things gives you access to "absolute truths" and enables you to talk "objectively" about them.

Moves
10 Oct 19

@fmf said
Thanks. If I didn't find it interesting, I wouldn't bother contributing to this community's discussions. Good for you if you believe that your faith regarding supernatural things gives you access to "absolute truths" and enables you to talk "objectively" about them.
It must be so satisfying and comforting to believe that truth is relative and that that enables you just to shoot randomly and call whatever you hit the target.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
It must be so satisfying and comforting to believe that truth is relative and that that enables you just to shoot randomly and call whatever you hit the target.
I'm not sure what you mean by "comforting" or "hit the target". The only "target" I think either us have, I assume, is to share our perspectives and personal opinions about supernatural things. We both "hit" that "target" presumably. I don't quite see how this is "comforting" for either of us, per se. Meanwhile, I am "satisfied" that both of us have successfully explained our stances.

Moves
10 Oct 19

@fmf said
I'm not sure what you mean by "comforting" or "hit the target". The only "target" I think either us have, I assume, is to share our perspectives and personal opinions about supernatural things. We both "hit" that "target" presumably. I don't quite see how this is "comforting" for either of us, per se. Meanwhile, I am "satisfied" that both of us have successfully explained our stances.
The fact is Science cannot adequately explain how we got here. There could be a supernatural explanation. By saying there is no supernatural truth you are putting blinders on and you’re not following where the evidence could lead you.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
The fact is Science cannot adequately explain how we got here. There could be a supernatural explanation.
Your use of the word “fact” is misleading and another example of you using your subjective opinion to imply objectivity.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
The fact is Science cannot adequately explain how we got here. There could be a supernatural explanation. By saying there is no supernatural truth you are putting blinders on and you’re not following where the evidence could lead you.
Your belief that there is "supernatural truth" is your personal opinion.

My belief ~ that your belief in "supernatural truth" is your personal subjective opinion ~ is simply my personal opinion.

Another personal opinion of mine is that science does not adequately explain how we got here.

And yet another personal opinion of mine is that there may be a creator being.

"How we got here' is ~ for both of us ~ a matter for speculation because in my personal opinion it is 'an unknown'.

There is nothing stopping you from developing subjective beliefs [a.k.a. your faith] by following what you believe is "evidence" and "proof".

There is nothing stopping you from declaring your personal opinions to be "absolute truths".

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@fmf said
Your belief that there is "supernatural truth" is your personal opinion.

My belief ~ that your belief in "supernatural truth" is your personal subjective opinion ~ is simply my personal opinion.

Another personal opinion of mine is that science does not adequately explain how we got here.

...[text shortened]... f".

There is nothing stopping you from declaring your personal opinions to be "absolute truths".
Personal opinions relate to subjective matters such as whether blue is a nicer color than pink. Subjective matters have no single correct answer. Everyone’s opinion is equally valid. However when relating to the existence of God, all opinions can’t be equally valid because God either exists or He doesn’t. So the truth of whether God exists or not is not dependent on our beliefs. It simply is what it is. Our opinions will never change the ultimate reality that is what it is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19
3 edits

@FMF

This is agnosticism. You just don't want to use the word "God."

The comments below suggest a deistic God who is non-revelatory and apathetic about what was created. That this creator is not concerned about reaching out to His/Her/Its creation seems to fit well with your view.

If you are then an agnostic why is it so important to you that you instead claim atheism?

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

This is agnosticism. You just don't want to use the word "God."

The comments below suggest a deistic God who is none revelatory and apathetic about what was created. That this creator is not concerned about reaching out to His/Her/Its creation seems to fit w ...[text shortened]... you are then an agnostic why is it so important to you that you instead claim atheism?
I describe myself as an agnostic atheist. You should look it up instead of flapping, flapping, flapping every time it comes up and, over and over again, you feel the need to describe me as something else.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
Personal opinions relate to subjective matters such as whether blue is a nicer color than pink. Subjective matters have no single correct answer. Everyone’s opinion is equally valid. However when relating to the existence of God, all opinions can’t be equally valid because God either exists or He doesn’t. So the truth of whether God exists or not is not dependent on our bel ...[text shortened]... fs. It simply is what it is. Our opinions will never change the ultimate reality that is what it is.
You are entitled to your personal opinions about what "the ultimate reality" about supernatural things is.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
However when relating to the existence of God, all opinions can’t be equally valid because God either exists or He doesn’t.
You can speculate to your heart's content; but your speculations do not generate "objectivity".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@FMF

I describe myself as an agnostic atheist. You should look it up instead of flapping, flapping, flapping every time it comes up and, over and over again, you feel the need to describe me as something else.

Well it would be nice that I go away and look up this or that, I'm sure. But just tell me this -

You wrote -

Now is it that you POSSESS a belief that there may be a creator being?
Or is it that you LACK a belief that there may be a creator being?

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Well it would be nice that I go away and look up this or that, I'm sure. But just tell me this -

You wrote -

[quote] And yet another pers ...[text shortened]... at there may be a creator being?
Or is it that you LACK a belief that there may be a creator being?
I lack belief in the god or gods described by adherents of so-called "revealed" religions like yours. Don't pretend that I have not said this directly to you umpteen times. I am an implicit, not an explicit, atheist. Look up "agnostic atheist".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19

@FMF

I lack belief in the god or gods described by adherents of so-called "revealed" religions like yours.

Thankyou. You are an agnostic. You lack belief in specific gods so named by various faiths. But as far as SOME creator being, you
POSSESS the belief that there may be one.

Don't pretend that I have not said this directly to you umpteen times. I am an implicit, not an explicit, atheist. Look up "agnostic atheist".

Oh, I have no intention of "pretending" that you have not obfuscated before and loudly claimed that you are an Agnostic Atheist.

I simply sought clarification which I think you have provided. You do not LACK a belief in the possibility of SOME creator.

What I hear you saying is " I am an agnostic. But I will never, never, NEVER be caught believing in any God of (especially) Judeo/Christian Scriptures !"

Okay. That's still agnosticism to me. You do not LACK a belief that there may be a creator of all.