Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
I’m asking you about truth in general.
Talk about whatever you want. I am talking about what people claim are "truths" with regard to supernatural things. If you want to talk about "truths" regarding matters that hold up to empirical scrutiny - like gravity or 'the temperature outside' - take it to the Science Forum and see if anybody want to talk to you.

F

Moves
06 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
Do you believe it’s a fact that truth is discovered or is all truth merely a subjective opinion?
I believe that, when people talk about "discovered truth" with regard to supernatural things, their claims are merely subjective opinions.

F

Moves
06 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
If you are unable to answer the question just say so.
You can speculate to your heart's content and your whole life long about what you are going to "discover" to be "true" when you die, but doing so does not render any beliefs that you may have - which are based on that speculation - objective.

Moves
06 Oct 19
5 edits

@fmf said
I believe that, when people talk about "discovered truth" with regard to supernatural things, their claims are merely subjective opinions.
How exactly did you discover or know the ‘truth’ that ‘spiritual truth’ cannot be discovered? Or if you don’t know that it is not true that spiritual truth cannot be discovered, why are you claiming that it is true without any knowledge of it? Isn’t that being hypocritical on your part?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Oct 19

Basic 101 truth - Absolute or Relative

Out of nothing, nothing.

RC Sproul: only a few minutes long.

F

Moves
06 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
How exactly did you discover or know the ‘truth’ that ‘spiritual truth’ cannot be discovered? Or if you don’t know that it is not true that spiritual truth cannot be discovered, why are you claiming that it is true without any knowledge of it? Isn’t that being hypocritical on your part?
All we are doing is sharing our personal opinions about supernatural things. I am not being hypocritical at all.

F

Moves
06 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
How exactly did you discover or know the ‘truth’ that ‘spiritual truth’ cannot be discovered?
You are entitled to your personal opinion that you can speculate about supernatural things and, by doing so, can somehow "discover" "objective" "truths".

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
06 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
Well now that is part of the great debate, if you do live on what then? That was a truth claim you have nothing by which to back up other than hopefulness. Scriptural doctrine that has stood the test of time says there is much more to this life than our living and dying.
I was trying to illustrate that not all truths are permanent. For the purpose of my post I was talking about my body, not an immortal soul, if such a thing exists.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Oct 19

@deepthought said
I was trying to illustrate that not all truths are permanent. For the purpose of my post I was talking about my body, not an immortal soul, if such a thing exists.
Agree that some truths change, not because truth can change, truth changes because the truth always corresponds to its reference. The truth of my weight can change if I pick up or lose a few pounds, the changing of my weight does not mean truth is no longer true, but the reference has been altered, so the truth of it changes with the reference.

An unchanging reference will remain true regardless of time, place, and how it is viewed, or thought of by anyone, many, or all people.

F

Moves
07 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
An unchanging reference will remain true regardless of time, place, and how it is viewed, or thought of by anyone, many, or all people.
Nothing is stopping you from speculating and hypothesizing about "unchanging references" that "remain true regardless of time and place" in so far as supernatural things are concerned.

And nothing is stopping you from subscribing to religious doctrines that correspond to your opinions and aspirations.

But you ought not to kid yourself that this psychological - and arguably emotional - process inside your head somehow generates "objective truths".

Moves
07 Oct 19

@fmf said
All we are doing is sharing our personal opinions about supernatural things. I am not being hypocritical at all.
So what is your personal opinion on why you believe that spiritual truths don’t exist?

F

Moves
07 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
So what is your personal opinion on why you believe that spiritual truths don’t exist?
My personal opinion is that we can only speculate about unprovable supernatural things that are immune to empirical scrutiny - and thus become the substance of faith and superstition and conjecture and aspiration - and therefore the assertions we make about such matters are subjective and not objective.

It is my personal opinion that religious people, like you, are entitled to make whatever claims you want about "spiritual truths", but you just need to realize that, regardless of what adjectives you attach to the "truths" you perceive, your assertions will only have traction or relevance with people who agree with you.

F

Moves
07 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
If what you are asking me is 'what is your personal opinion about your personal opinion?', then all I can say is that I am simply sharing my perspective on these matters'.

If what you are asking me is 'why do you believe what you believe?' then I suggest you reread the thread; I have been lucid and methodical.

Moves
10 Oct 19

@fmf said
My personal opinion is that we can only speculate about unprovable supernatural things that are immune to empirical scrutiny - and thus become the substance of faith and superstition and conjecture and aspiration - and therefore the assertions we make about such matters are subjective and not objective.

It is my personal opinion that religious people, like you, are entitled t ...[text shortened]... " you perceive, your assertions will only have traction or relevance with people who agree with you.
If you believe there are no spiritual truths, and that all spiritual matters are mere speculation, what’s the point of debating spiritual matters if you believe it’s impossible for anyone to be right about any spiritual matter to start off with?

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@dj2becker said
If you believe there are no spiritual truths, and that all spiritual matters are mere speculation, what’s the point of debating spiritual matters if you believe it’s impossible for anyone to be right about any spiritual matter to start off with?
Because people's speculations about spiritual matters is an interesting subject for debate and discussion.