Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

I lack belief in the god or gods described by adherents of so-called "revealed" religions like yours.

Thankyou. You are an agnostic. You lack belief in specific gods so named by various faiths. But as far as SOME creator being, you
POSSESS the belief that there may be one.

[quote]
Don't pretend that I have not said this directly to you umptee ...[text shortened]... That's still agnosticism to me. You do not LACK a belief that there may be a creator of all.
I think "agnostic atheist" best encapsulates my stance. Look it up.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
You do not LACK a belief that there may be a creator of all.
I lack the belief that there is a creator being but I am open minded. I do not believe in your God figure. I do not believe there is no god or gods [creator or creators].

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19
3 edits

@FMF

Would it encapsulate your stance if, let's say, the ONLY and ONE sentence in the bible was "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Let's say that that was ALL there that was written.

Do you LACK a belief that that stand alone sentence MAY be true?
Or do you POSSESS a belief that that stand alone sentence MAY be true?

Remember- that's ALL we have as a ancient text. Would you LACK or POSSESS potential agreement with that sentence?

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
What I hear you saying is " I am an agnostic. But I will never, never, NEVER be caught believing in any God of (especially) Judeo/Christian Scriptures !"
I was a Christian believer for almost three decades. I did not feel "caught believing" in the Christian God. I am no longer a Christian. Nor am I a Jew. Nor a Muslim. Nor a Hindu. Nor a Sikh. Etcetera.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Would it encapsulate you stance if, let's say, the ONLY and ONE sentence in the bible was "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Let's say that the is ALL there was written there.

Do you LACK a belief that that stand alone sentence ...[text shortened]... ALL[/i] we have as a ancient text. Would you LACK or POSSESS potential agreement with that sentence?
I lack the belief that "there is a creator". I do not beleve "there is not a creator". I describe myself as an agnostic atheist or an implicit atheist.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Would it encapsulate your stance if, let's say, the ONLY and ONE sentence in the bible was "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Let's say that that was ALL there that was written.

Do you LACK a belief that that stand alone senten ...[text shortened]... ALL[/i] we have as a ancient text. Would you LACK or POSSESS potential agreement with that sentence?
I lack any belief that a god or gods have communicated with us, so your "revealed religion" text quote is moot.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@FMF

I was a Christian believer for almost three decades. I did not feel "caught believing" in the Christian God. I am no longer a Christian. Nor am I a Jew. Nor a Muslim. Nor a Hindu. Nor a Sikh. Etcetera.

Yea, but that is not what I asked you.

To say "I might believe in a creator. But it would be 100% the product of my own ideas about this creator and have nothing to do with any other previous sacred belief system" is still an agnosticism about a creator.

I see no LACK of belief in the possibility of God there. You just want to assure you distance yourself from all other human beings that have ever contemplated it.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Yea, but that is not what I asked you.

To say [i] "I might believe in a creator. But it would be 100% the product of my own ideas about ...[text shortened]... ust want to assure you distance yourself from all other human beings that have ever contemplated it.
I have clearly stated that I am open to the possibility that there is a creator being maybe 200 or 300 times, if not more, since I started contributing to this forum. I have even started whole threads about what I think is the strongest evidence that theists have for the existence of a creator being. Meanwhile, I describe myself as an agnostic atheist. Look it up.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
I see no LACK of belief in the possibility of God there.
I lack the belief: "there is a god or gods there".

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
You just want to assure you distance yourself from all other human beings that have ever contemplated it.
What on Earth are you on about?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19

@FMF

Is this definition good enough ?

Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
from wiki

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Is this definition good enough ?

Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
from wiki
Well done. Now you know why I use the term. It hits the nail on the head.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Oct 19

@FMF

And yet another personal opinion of mine is that there may be a creator being.

Hits a nail on the head. Knowable or not knowable aside. You do not lack belief in the possibility of deity.

But I'll read some things I found on your term - pro and con.
Okay?

F

Moves
10 Oct 19

@sonship said
Hits a nail on the head. Knowable or not knowable aside. You do not lack belief in the possibility of deity.
I think you are just taking the piss. I have unequivocally stated that I am open to the possibility of the existence of a creator being hundreds and hundreds of times. I have made no secret of it.

F

Moves
10 Oct 19
1 edit

@sonship said
@FMF
But I'll read some things I found on your term - pro and con.
Do not regurgitate what you find for my benefit.