1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 14:31
    In another thread, a Christian made this casual statement:

"Atheism is only a temporary stop along the way to Satan worship."

In response, I would like to offer a rather contentious rebuttal. An atheist rejects the existence of God and with it all biblical myth, which includes stories of devils and demons. An atheist doesn't reject God in order to leave room for the devil, he rejects the whole biblical shebang. (That's not the contentious bit).

A Christian on the other hand, by virtue of believing in God and the Bible, also believes in the devil. (Something an atheist doesn't do). Is it therefore not logical that it is actually a Christian and not an atheist who is more liking to end up worshiping the devil, seeing as it is the Christian and not the atheist who actually believes in the devil?

Which is more likely, an atheist going on to worship something he doesn't believe in, or a Christian looking at the evil in the world, deciding the devil is winning the battle, and deciding therefore to switch allegiance? (Yep, that was the contentious bit).
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

In response, I would like to offer a rather contentious rebuttal. An atheist rejects the existence of God and with it all biblical myth, which includes stories of devils and demons. An atheist doesn't reject God in or ...[text shortened]... g the battle, and deciding therefore to switch allegiance? (Yep, that was the contentious bit).
    Ah, but you could be worshiping Satan without realising it.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 14:52

In response, I would like to offer a rather contentious rebuttal. An atheist rejects the existence of God and with it all biblical myth, which includes stories of devils and demons. An atheist doesn't reject God in or ...[text shortened]... g the battle, and deciding therefore to switch allegiance? (Yep, that was the contentious bit).
    Nice thread. I would rather look this issue from the point of view of what Jesus sees. Jesus can see into the heart of man and judge the man by what he does. Actions tell the truth of whats in a mans heart and mind.

A Christian can profess what he believes but only his actions tell the true tale.
    An atheist likewise can profess what he believes but his actions show that he holds in high regard the teachings of Christ.

Some Christians are very superficial and are taken in by the words but fail to look at a mans actions. Sonship [Mr Extra-biblical], has that failing. He will condemn an atheist who quite likely are pleasing to Christ because of his works, but will look up to a Christian even though he might be evil.

As for an actual physical being called Satan, Im not sure that Bible supports that notion.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:09
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Ah, but you could be worshiping Satan without realising it.
    I think you stole sonship's thunder. 😉
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:11
    I think you stole sonship's thunder. 😉
    I know 😵
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:15
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Nice thread. I would rather look this issue from the point of view of what Jesus sees. Jesus can see into the heart of man and judge the man by what he does. Actions tell the truth of whats in a mans heart and mind.

A Christian can profess what he believes but only his actions tell the true tale.
    An atheist likewise can profess what he believes but his ...[text shortened]... .

As for an actual physical being called Satan, Im not sure that Bible supports that notion.
    Agreed. The biblical representation of the devil is primarily metaphorical. (The 'snake' and the like).

As an aside, my final dissertation was on the 'Personification of evil in world religions' and was not well received. (It counted as 2 modules and lowered my overall grade).
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:39

You've merely expressed a convoluted rationale.

The Bible is clear. There are two kingdoms placed before us in this life. The kingdom of light, and the kingdom of darkness.

Jesus is the light. Satan is the prince of darkness.

Your counter-convoluted assertion that because Christians believe in God and His revealed truth lends itself to the conclusion that Christians "end up worshipping the devil" is nothing short of what the Bible calls the "works of darkness".

"Darkness" is what prevents the atheists from knowing that Satan exists.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:43
    Originally posted by @secondson

The Bible is clear. There are two kingdoms placed before us in this life. The kingdom of light, and the kingdom of darkness.

Your counter-convoluted assertion that because Christians believe in God and His revealed truth lends itself to the conclu ...[text shortened]... "works of darkness".

There is a very good argument that Satan is just a personification of sin or sin in the flesh. There is no being called Satan.

There is good and righteous ie the Light of Christ
    There is opposition to Christ which is all forms of sin and evil.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:441 edit
    Agreed. The biblical representation of the devil is primarily metaphorical. (The 'snake' and the like).

As an aside, my final dissertation was on the 'Personification of evil in world religions' and was not well received. (It counted as 2 modules and lowered my overall grade).
    I wont mind having a read of that if you can somehow send a link or a file.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:44

An atheist likewise can profess what he believes but his ...[text shortened]... .

"As for an actual physical being called Satan, Im not sure that Bible supports that notion."

Are you that ignorant? Neither God nor Satan are physical beings. But the Bible teaches that both exist.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:47
    I wont mind having are read of that if you can somehow send a link or a file.
    What you need is a lesson in primary grammar.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 15:51
    There is a very good argument that Satan is just a personification of sin or sin in the flesh. There is no being called Satan.

There is good and righteous ie the Light of Christ
    There is opposition to Christ which is all forms of sin and evil.
    And Jesus didn't literally rise from the dead either, right?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 16:07
    [b]"As for an actual physical being called Satan, Im not sure that Bible supports that notion."

Are you that ignorant? Neither God nor Satan are physical beings. But the Bible teaches that both exist.[/b]
    Show me where the Bible says that Satan exist.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 16:14
    Show me where the Bible says that Satan exist.
    Show me where the Bible says Jesus rose bodily from the dead.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 16:17

Your counter-convoluted assertion that because Christians believe in God and His revealed truth lends itself to the conclu ...[text shortened]... "works of darkness".

If an atheist doesn't know the devil exists, why (as sonship suggests) would an atheist worship him?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree