1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 21:41
    From Leviticus 20

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

The Bible claims this is God talking. Is this of God?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 21:49
    Originally posted by @eladar
    From Leviticus 20

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

No matter what anyone replies to your question, you still won't understand. It's not the right question.

To understand the God of Jesus, one needs to understand the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry. If you understood and believed His gospel, you would no longer hold onto your bigotry - you would no longer use the Bible as a weapon to further said bigotry. But you neither understand nor believe.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 21:57
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    No matter what anyone replies to your question, you still won't understand. It's not the right question.

To understand the God of Jesus, one needs to understand the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry. If you understood and believed His gospel, you would no longer hold onto your bigotry - you would no longer use the Bible as a weapon to further said bigotry. But you neither understand nor believe.

I find it funny that you can't answer a simple question about a verse from the Bible.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 22:09

I find it funny that you can't answer a simple question about a verse from the Bible.

5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 22:26

I didn't ask about your God of Jesus. I am asking who is this in Leviticus?

6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 22:52
    I didn't ask about your God of Jesus. I am asking who is this in Leviticus?

I understand your question. Evidently you didn't understand my response.

That's the way it goes with bigots. They have simplistic and juvenile eyes.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 22:55

I understand what you said. You are ignoring the question I am asking and answering a question of your own imagination.

If you disown the OT and believe it is of man just say so.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 22:591 edit
    I understand what you said. You are ignoring the question I am asking and answering a question of your own imagination.

If you disown the OT and believe it is of man just say so.

That means you, since you seem so slow on the uptake.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '18 23:02

[b]That's the way it goes with bigots. They have simplistic and juvenile eyes.

That means you, since you seem so slow on the uptake.[/b]
    Do you disown the bigotry of the OT and the God it represents?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 07:482 edits
    The offerings in the book of Leviticus are symbolic of various aspects of Christ as the One through whom man can contact and enjoy God.

Since Christ replaced all of the offerings as their anti-type the best treatments of Leviticus explore how the offerings point to different aspects of Christ.

Also important in Leviticus is the structure - the Tent of Meeting as God's dwelling place on earth. (First the tabernacle was carried about and then the temple was built).

So you have the various things Christ is to God's people symbolized in the offerings. And you have the dwelling place of God in the Tent of Meeting (which became the tabernacle).
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 07:511 edit
    Thirdly, in Leviticus you have the priestly service. Since in the new covenant there is the priesthood of every believer the priests' offerings point to the offering of Christ for God's satisfaction to every person whom Christ has redeemed.
    The priests then in their service and offerings mainly point to the normal service of Christians as God intends all believers to practice the priesthood of the believer.

The first offering discussed sets the principle of being accepted to God through Christ.

"Speak to the children of Israel and say to them, When any one of you presents an offering to Jehovah, you shall present your offering from the cattle, of the heard or of the flock, (v.2)

And he shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him, to make expiation for him."(v.4)

God needs man to be utterly identified with Christ as Christ makes propitiation for the sinner. This is the meaning of laying on of hands - identification. What we do not have in ourselves, we have in Jesus Christ.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 08:20
    Many skeptics are eager to point out some harsh penalty in Leviticus to the sinner. Some harsh penalties do exist.

But there are the offerings for expiation, for atonement, for reconciliation to God and God's people.

The first example sets the principle of being expiated for because of a Substitute.

"If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he shall present it, a male without blemish ..."

That is because you need a perfect sacrifice. The sinner is full of blemishes before God.

" ... a male without blemish; he shall present it at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting ..."

The result of the expiation of the sinner is with a view of bring man into the structure of God, the house of God (at this point a traveling Tent - the tabernacle).

The forgiveness of the sinner is for the building of the dwelling place of God where God lives in man corporately on the earth.

" ... he shall present it at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting, that he may be accepted before Jehovah.

Only in Christ can man be accepted into the eternal dwelling place of God which He is building on the planet.

"And he shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him, to make expiation for him." (See Lev. 1:2-4)

While reviewing about the rebel, the fornicator, the homosexual, the adulterer, the blasphemer, the thief, the idolater, etc. we should remember that expiatory sacrifice was available to make the offender acceptable in God's salvation.

I would ask that this be remembered as various harsh penalties cause the modern mind to reel at the judgments conveyed in Leviticus.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 08:432 edits
    Christ is the totality of all the offerings seen in Leviticus.
    The symbolic offerings point to Christ as the all-inclusive offering for man's salvation.

We see this is the NT book of Hebrews.
    God was incarnated in Jesus Christ the Son of God coming with a body to offer for the sins of the world. This was the will of the Triune God.

Therefore coming into the world, He says, "Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You have prepared for me. (v.5)

In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin You did not delight. (v.6)

Then I said, Behold, I have come (in the roll of the book it is written concerning Me) to do Your will, O God." (v.7)

saying above, "Sacrifies and offerings and burnt offerings and sacrifices for sins You did not desire nor delight in" (which are offered according to the law), (v.8)

He then has said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will." He takes away the first that he may establish the second, (v.9)

By which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." (See Hebrews 10:5-10)
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 08:54
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Christ is the totality of all the offerings seen in [b]Leviticus.
    The symbolic offerings point to Christ as the all-inclusive offering for man's salvation.

We see this is the NT book of Hebrews.
    God was incarnated in Jesus Christ the Son of God coming with a body to offer for the sins of the world. This was the will of the Triune God.

[qu ...[text shortened]... ough the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." (See Hebrews 10:5-10) [/b] [/quote][/b]
    Curious why you are inclined to focus on the symbolic nature of Leviticus but are not inclined to do so with biblical passages that speak of eternal suffering in hell.

Are passages only symbolic when they suit your purpose?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '18 09:06
    Bingo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree