1. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:12
    is their one? If we examine all the major world belief's (minor ones welcome as well), is there a truth that can unify us rather than divide us?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:15
    Difficult if one accepts satanism as a religion.
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Difficult if one accepts satanism as a religion.
    what truth is in satanism?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:51
    Originally posted by Doward
    what truth is in satanism?
    How is that relevant to the OP?
  5. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:52
    How is that relevant to the OP?
    looking for unifying truths, what truth does satanism have to offer? pretty relevant I think
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 19:59
    looking for unifying truths, what truth does satanism have to offer? pretty relevant I think
    Well, not really. You asked:
    "[unifying truth] is their one? If we examine all the major world belief's (minor ones welcome as well), is there a truth that can unify us rather than divide us?"

And I replied, that this was a difficult proposition if one accepted satanism as a religion.

Satanism is one of the world's belief systems, albeit a minor one.

If you wish to specifically exclude some belief systems because you don't find any 'truth' in them, you should really state that at the start. A satanist (or indeed an atheist) might counter your objection by querying what 'truth' catholicism (for example only) has to offer.
  7. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 20:05
    Well, not really. You asked:
    [b]"[unifying truth] is their one? If we examine all the major world belief's (minor ones welcome as well), is there a truth that can unify us rather than divide us?"

And I replied, that this was a difficult proposition if one accepted satanism as a religion.

Satanism is one of the world's belief system ...[text shortened]... er your objection by querying what 'truth' catholicism (for example only) has to offer.[/b]
    not following your line of reason, I never excluded satanism as a religion.

so what truth do they offer?
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 20:08
    not following your line of reason, I never excluded satanism as a religion.

so what truth do they offer?
    Search me. Can't imagine there'll be much that strikes a chord with the others though. That's my point.
  9. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 20:25
    Search me. Can't imagine there'll be much that strikes a chord with the others though. That's my point.
    I'm willing to entertain the discussion if their is a satanist here, though I get your point
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '10 21:221 edit
    is their one? If we examine all the major world belief's (minor ones welcome as well), is there a truth that can unify us rather than divide us?
    http://www.scarboromissions.ca/Golden_rule/sacred_texts.php

The Golden Rule Across the World's Religions
    Thirteen Sacred Texts - English Version

Bahá'í Faith
    Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself.

Bahá'u'lláh, Gleanings

Buddhism
    Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

The Buddha, Udana-Varga 5.18

Christianity
    In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

Jesus, Matthew 7:12

Confucianism
    One word which sums up the basis of all good conduct....loving-kindness. Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.

Confucius, Analects 15.23

Hinduism
    This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.

Mahabharata 5:1517

Islam
    Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others
    what you wish for yourself.

The Prophet Muhammad, Hadith

Jainism
    One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.

Mahavira, Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

Judaism
    What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour. This is the whole Torah; all the rest is commentary. Go and learn it.

Hillel, Talmud, Shabbath 31a

Native Spirituality
    We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive.

Chief Dan George

Sikhism
    I am a stranger to no one; and no one is a stranger to me.
    Indeed, I am a friend to all.

Guru Granth Sahib, p.1299

Taoism
    Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain and your neighbour's loss as your own loss.

Lao Tzu, T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien, 213-218

Unitarianism
    We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian principle

Zoroastrianism
    Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.

Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 00:13
    In the Vedanta Sutra it is asked what is truth.....and it is is simply stated that:

" That truth is reality distinguished from illusion for the benefit of mankind"

Now what is reality?

Reality is what we are, and what is our purpose.

The one unifying principle that we seek, is the answer to this question.

The answer is....

We are "Aham Brahmasmi".....or we are spirit soul.

The spirit soul has its eternal spiritual body, which is full of bliss and knowledge.

And our purpose is to be situated in our eternal home, in the spiritual world where we belong, in association with God and all the other unlimited liberated spiritual beings, and enjoy our eternal loving blissful relationships, without any more birth, death, disease and old age.

The spiritual soul that I am, is a little piece of God, just like the sun ray is a little piece of the sun and cannot be separated from the sun.

The soul that we really are, is the real person fully conscious and aware, with spiritual identity....and the soul is in the material body animating the machine.

The one and only unifying principle that exist, is knowing that each and every living entity, is the same spiritual energy that is of God.

If you looked at your brother and could understand that you both are exactly of the same spiritual substance..... and one and the same, then it would be impossible to do any harm to him, because doing harm to him would be doing harm to yourself.

This is why Jesus said to love your enemies..... because in reality we have no enemies, because your brother and you are connected, and are one in reality.

Therefore we are all one, but have our unique individual identity, and its known as ( being one and different).....just like the sun beam is not the sun itself, but the sun beam is the sun, and when the sunbeam shines through your window, you say the sun is in my room.

So this awareness is the universal unifying principle for us all, and cannot be changed, except when we are in this world in our temporary bodies, we think we are separate from everything, which is an illusion and false.......and because we think we are all separate, we fight each other and become racist, and scramble for the resources to keep for ourselves, because we think we must succeed at accumulating stuff (junk) at any cost.

To gain transcendental knowledge and rise above the illusion of this world, we have the Vedanta Sutra, which when studied and followed, will prepare us to return home back to Godhead which is the perfection of life.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 01:42
    Yes.

Matthew 7:14 - Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

[b]Bahá'í Faith

Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself.

Bahá'u'lláh, Gleanings

Buddhi b]
    Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.

Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29
    humans[/b] ( both atheist and theist)
    Do not do onto others that you would not want to be done onto you.

implicit innate general behavioural desire that comes from the biology of the human brain.
  14. St. Peter's
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yes.

Matthew 7:14 - [b]Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    [/b]
    how is that unifying? that sounds more like a divisive dogma than a truth that everyone can share.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Dec '10 19:33
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

Islam
    Not one of you truly believes until you wish for others
    what you wish for yourself.

The Prophet Muhammad, Hadith
    Ah, but the text continues, "Unless you can blow up stuff and kill the infidels."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree