Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. 09 Aug '17 04:02
    Can the universe explain its own origins? Everything in our experience has a beginning and an end.

    Theuniverse too then, from a natural perspectuve, have a beginning and an end. How can this be? Can something come from nothing?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Aug '17 05:33
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Everything in our experience has a beginning and an end.
    We do not know the universe's origin [or if it even had a beginning], and it clearly hasn't ended [and shows no sign of doing so], so it's a faulty premise to state that everything in our experience has a beginning and an end and then, based on that, declare the universe must have a beginning and an end.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Aug '17 05:34
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The universe too then, from a natural perspectuve, have a beginning and an end. How can this be? Can something come from nothing?
    Maybe it's always been there in one form or another.
  4. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    09 Aug '17 05:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Can the universe explain its own origins? Everything in our experience has a beginning and an end.

    Theuniverse too then, from a natural perspectuve, have a beginning and an end. How can this be? Can something come from nothing?
    Sentience does the explaining, not the universe.

    We haven't ruled out eternity nor infinity.

    We are tiny little motes on this planet. And comparing the size of our planet to the known or observable universe can freaking shatter minds:

    https://www.joshuakennon.com/how-big-is-earth-compared-to-the-universe/

    Your last question, nothing comes from nothing. If our universe started from the fabled singularity, it was a mere mote in the multi-verse. Comparing the known age of our universe to the lifespan of a human can blow minds too. If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second. (From multiple sources.) And the age of our earth is only a fraction of the age of our universe.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Earth
    https://www.space.com/24054-how-old-is-the-universe.html

    It's okay to be boggled. But are you trying to understand, eladar, or does our boggleness just mean goddidit for you.
  5. 09 Aug '17 06:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Can the universe explain its own origins? Everything in our experience has a beginning and an end.

    Theuniverse too then, from a natural perspectuve, have a beginning and an end. How can this be? Can something come from nothing?
    Can the universe explain its own origins?

    Oh Yes, The Universe and I met at Starbucks just last Tuesday and had a conversation about that. The Universe told me it's family tree consisted of 2 plus or minus the cubed root of AC squared over 2A. 2A had sex with C and soon after gave birth to the Universe. 2A was never the same after that. 2A changed it's name to Julie and is now doing 3 shows a week as a show girl at the Sands in Las Vegas. Not many folks know about this, because what happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas!

    Don't try to get too deep eledar, a concept is like a finder pointing to the heavens, don't concentrate too hard on the finger, or you'll miss all that heavenly glory!
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    09 Aug '17 07:22
    Hmm ... my science must be out of date. S. Hawking wrote "Events before the Big Bang can have no observational consequences so we might as well cut them out and state that Time began at the Big Bang". Also, I thought that Entropy was inevitably going to lead to a hot-death of the Universe in the end.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Aug '17 07:29
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    S. Hawking wrote "Events before the Big Bang can have no observational consequences so we might as well cut them out and state that Time began at the Big Bang".
    Sounds to me like all he is saying is that he doesn't know anything about what there was or what was happening before the 'Big Bang'. Beyond that, what he thinks we "might as well do" - in the wake of him conceding he doesn't know something - is moot.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Aug '17 07:32
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I thought that Entropy was inevitably going to lead to a hot-death of the Universe in the end.
    Perhaps the so called "hot death" will simply be an event of some sort that initiates a new chapter and a new form of the universe (a new state about which we currently have no clue), just as we have no clue about what preceded the current state/form of the universe.
  9. 09 Aug '17 08:31
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Can something come from nothing?
    I would say so, yes.
  10. 09 Aug '17 09:24
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Can something come from nothing?
    Yes matter can be completely destroyed to create nothing but energy; the process is reversible.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    09 Aug '17 09:32
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Can something come from nothing?
    One could argue that retail religions came from nothing... except for speculation ~ and the human imagination attendant thereto.
  12. 09 Aug '17 10:41
    Originally posted by @fmf
    We do not know the universe's origin [or if it even had a beginning], and it clearly hasn't ended [and shows no sign of doing so], so it's a faulty premise to state that everything in our experience has a beginning and an end and then, based on that, declare the universe must have a beginning and an end.
    Have you ever experienced anything other than the universe that has not had a beginning?
  13. 09 Aug '17 10:43
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yes matter can be completely destroyed to create nothing but energy; the process is reversible.
    Energy is something. You remind me of students who think that zero and no solution are the same answer.
  14. 09 Aug '17 10:44
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    I would say so, yes.
    Do you have an example of this or is this answer based on faith?
  15. 09 Aug '17 10:46
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Sentience does the explaining, not the universe.

    We haven't ruled out eternity nor infinity.

    We are tiny little motes on this planet. And comparing the size of our planet to the known or observable universe can freaking shatter minds:

    https://www.joshuakennon.com/how-big-is-earth-compared-to-the-universe/

    Your last question, nothing comes fro ...[text shortened]... ed. But are you trying to understand, eladar, or does our boggleness just mean goddidit for you.
    Where did the fabled singularity come from?