Using the Bible to insult people

Using the Bible to insult people

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
But you have been using a phrase from the verse, if you understand that clause why cant you tell us about the preceding clause which qualifies the statement that you have been using presumably with some understanding? You are acting very strangely.
If the way I have stated my question has obscured the meaning, why won't josephw or you or Suzianne, or lemon lime - why won't any of you simply explain how josephw thinks it applies to divegeester, and just clear it all up?

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Rather humorous, given the passage you won't even read.
What passage is it I "won't even read"?

rc

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
I quoted it in full here Thread 167360 top of page 14 but josephw still wouldn't explain.
and neither it seems can you explain it either, its very very strange.

rc

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
If the way I have stated my question has obscured the meaning, why won't josephw or you or Suzianne, or lemon lime - why won't any of you simply explain how josephw thinks it applies to divegeester, and just clear it all up?
Once you tell us what the phrase, 'friendship with the world', means we can determine whether divesgeester is 'an enemy of God'. Until we have this information its simply not possible. Why won't you tell us? Don't you know?

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

and neither it seems can you explain it either, its very very strange.
It's for josephw to explain.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
I quoted it in full here Thread 167360 top of page 14 but josephw still wouldn't explain.
That's not even good enough. But of course you didn't quote the entire passage, because if you did, than ANYone reading it would understand not only why joseph said it, but why you two have been dodging the meaning of the passage ever since.

But now you will have no excuse.

"From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." -- James 4:1-4:6, KJV

And now, ANYone can see why he said it. But you two STILL won't own up to it.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

Once you tell us what the phrase, 'friendship with the world', means we can determine whether divesgeester is 'an enemy of God'. Until we have this information its simply not possible.
Tell josephw to explain it to you. And then ask him to explain it in public.

rc

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
It's for josephw to explain.
No its for you to explain, that is of course of you want to know whether divesgeester is 'an enemy of God'.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
19 Feb 16

It might help to have the passage here, which I hadn't read before and is rather apposite.

1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. 12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

James 4:1-12
Authorized King James Version
copy & pasted from www.biblegateway.com
Although I can't help feeling James 4:11 seems to be the part to focus on.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

That's not even good enough. But [b]of course you didn't quote the entire passage, because if you did, than ANYone reading it would understand not only why joseph said it, but why you two have been dodging the meaning of the passage ever since.[/b]
josephw cited James 4:4. If he should have cited something else or other verses, you should take it up with him.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

No its for you to explain, that is of course of you want to know whether divesgeester is 'an enemy of God'.
I want josephw to explain what he meant.

rc

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
Tell josephw to explain it to you. And then ask him to explain it in public.
You keep attempting to shift the onus to other people, you have used a phrase from the passage presumably with understanding, why you cannot tell us anything else about it is very strange behavior indeed.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

...ANYone reading it would understand not only why joseph said it, but why you two have been dodging the meaning of the passage ever since.
So - tell me - what does the passage mean and how do you think it applies to divegeester?

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

You keep attempting to shift the onus to other people, you have used a phrase from the passage presumably with understanding, why you cannot tell us anything else about it is very strange behavior indeed.
josephw will perhaps be along to explain what he meant.

rc

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
It might help to have the passage here, which I hadn't read before and is rather apposite.
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and re ...[text shortened]... blegateway.com
Although I can't help feeling James 4:11 seems to be the part to focus on.
Sir I am not being pedantic but there have been numerous biblical translations since the middle ages that use modern English in a readily available format. Perhaps for the sake of clarity we could use one of those in future? You may like http://biblehub.com/ because it has many excellent features.