Using the Bible to insult people

Using the Bible to insult people

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
So do you think josephw is right to condemn divegeester as "an enemy of God"?
Who are you quoting?

F

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by lemon lime
Who are you quoting?
josephw cited James 4:4 which is where the phrase "an enemy of God" comes from.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
josephw cited James 4:4 which is where the phrase "an enemy of God" comes from.
Okay, I looked it up and it says "...whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." But to understand what is meant by "friend of the world" it's better to start reading from James 4:1. You narrowed it down to "an enemy of God", and referred to it as a condemnation.

But it's not a condemnation... it's obviously a warning directed toward people James regarded as Christian, albeit new and/or naive Christians. And btw if you take a closer look at James 4:4, you can see that it says "...makes himself an enemy of God".

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
telling it like it is,

He opposed and sided against me because I stated the Bibles viewpoint on homosexuality. He was forced to publicly acknowledge the Bibles viewpoint and eat his own words.

I am glad he is being outed for his watery version of Christianity and for hypocritically sidling against those who espouse Christian values simply bec ...[text shortened]... nal vendetta against them and their beliefs. As far as I am concerned his is a religious bigot.
Your post is a complete fabrication.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Joseph has explained what he meant and it bears no resemblance to your plastic and transparent loaded question.
We all know what he meant, that isn't the issue.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Maybe he's right. It's his opinion.
So you have no opinion on the OP but thought you'd sling some mud anyway, is that it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 16

Okay, I looked it up and it says "...whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." But to understand what is meant by "friend of the world" it's better to start reading from James 4:1. You narrowed it down to "an enemy of God", and referred to it as a condemnation.

But it's not a condemnation... it's obviously a warning dir ...[text shortened]... a closer look at James 4:4, you can see that it says "...makes [b]himself
an enemy of God".[/b]
You are missing the point.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by divegeester
You are missing the point.
Naw, I don't think so.

I also at one time cited James 4:4 to you... but now that joseph has done the same thing you call it "the nastiest piece of passive-agressive invective that I've personally experienced."

How dare you!

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

But it's not a condemnation... it's obviously a warning dir ...[text shortened]... a closer look at James 4:4, you can see that it says "...makes [b]himself
an enemy of God".[/b]
Do you think josephw believes divegeester has made himself into "an enemy of God"?

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by josephw
In the thread titled "Why Americans are fat and loud" you joined in with atheist to "insult" another Christian, which is why I made the statement, "you make strange bedfellows" and referenced James 4:4.
How is James 4:4 relevant to divegeester making a quip about Grampy Bobby's copy pasting?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 16

Naw, I don't think so.

I also at one time cited James 4:4 to you... but now that joseph has done the same thing you call it "the nastiest piece of passive-agressive invective that I've personally experienced."

How dare you!
The point is not the meaning of James 4:4, it's how and why the scripture was used to condem another Christian because josephw saw them exchanging a quip with a non Christian about another christian.

F

Moves
19 Feb 16

More like [divegeester is] upset over someone calling him out over his siding with critics of Christians and Christian doctrine.
It was about Grampy Bobby copy pasting stuff on the General Forum, it wasn't about Christian doctrine.

As for the latter, divegeester doesn't subscribe to the doctrine of the Trinity and does not believe that the Christian God tortures non-believers for eternity. These are fairly standard interpretations held by countless millions of Christians. Disagreeing with fellow Christians who subscribe to the notions of Trinity and eternal torture cannot be described as "siding with critics of Christians".

And criticizing a Christian (Grampy Bobby) for copy pasting on the General Forum cannot be described as "siding with critics of [...] Christian doctrine".

Surely, trying to land silly punches on a message board is not what the Bible is for?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think josephw believes divegeester has made himself into "an enemy of God"?
I think you're working too hard at trying to connect the dots... or not working hard enough.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
19 Feb 16

Using the Bible—and other religious texts—to insult people seems to be a time-honored religious activity. What it has to do with love (agape) escapes me.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Feb 16

Originally posted by FMF
It was about Grampy Bobby copy pasting stuff on the General Forum, it wasn't about Christian doctrine.

As for the latter, divegeester doesn't subscribe to the doctrine of the Trinity and does not believe that the Christian God tortures non-believers for eternity. These are fairly standard interpretations held by countless millions of Christians. Disagreeing ...[text shortened]... rine".

Surely, trying to land silly punches on a message board is not what the Bible is for?
You two clowns still don't get it. It's not just about one so called "harmless quip". It's about the constant harassment and abuse in which you both habitually indulge yourselves.