1. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 04:44
    In Orthodoxy, there is the belief that our monks and nuns should all be vegetarians. We also have fast days where we very committedly practice vegetarianism for the duration of a long period of time.

There is something about how before the flood man was supposed to be overwhelmingly vegetarian, and that man was actually meant to be vegetarian.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 09:25
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    In Orthodoxy, there is the belief that our monks and nuns should all be vegetarians. We also have fast days where we very committedly practice vegetarianism for the duration of a long period of time.

There is something about how before the flood man was supposed to be overwhelmingly vegetarian, and that man was actually meant to be vegetarian.
    Did mankind’s (peoplekind’s) meat eating teeth evolve after Eden or were they created? This is the point of interest.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 09:261 edit

It was only when the distinction between animal and man became blurred, that God was cool with man/woman eating meat. In their perfect state humanity was vegetarian, the shepherd rather than the hunter.

From this we can extrapolate that far from vegetarianism being a step away from the devil, it is actually a step closer to God. (Biblically speaking).

Edit - Meat eating teeth, therefore, would not have been present in Eden. (As would have been redundant).
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 09:324 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    It was only when the distinction between animal and man became blurred, that God was cool with man/woman eating meat. In their perfect state humanity was vegetarian, the shepherd rather than the hunter.

From this we can extrapolate that far from vegetarianism being a step away from the devil, it is actually a step closer to God. (Biblically speaking).
    I don’t agree Goad.

“Biblically speaking” (I know where you stand overal), the way back to God is only through Jesus Christ, not through ANY form of self effort, including vegetarianism.

It’s a bit like the timeline explaination in Back to the Furture 2, the way we got here is not the way back.

YouTube

Edit; this is a poor clip of the scene, sorry
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 09:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I don’t agree Goad.

“Biblically speaking” (I know where you stand overal), the way back to God is only through Jesus Christ, not through ANY form of self effort, including vegetarianism.

It’s a bit like the timeline explaination in Back to the Furture 2, the way we got here is not the way back.

You’ll like this I think....

[youtube]gVx4OOcIRXg[/youtube]
    Always good to find a reason to watch that movie.

Just to be clear though, by saying vegetarianism 'is actually a step closer to God' I was saying it was a step closer to 'humanity as God had created it'. - I wasn't saying that giving up your Sunday roast was an alternative route to salvation.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 09:51
    Always good to find a reason to watch that movie.

Just to be clear though, by saying vegetarianism 'is actually a step closer to God' I was saying it was a step closer to 'humanity as God had created it'. - I wasn't saying that giving up your Sunday roast was an alternative route to salvation.
    I don’t disagree then, however I hold that there is no spiritual value (from the Christian perspective) of being vegetarian.

I suspect that quite a few Christians get sucked into vegetarianism on the premise that they are getting closer to god. It is a fallacy imo.

I do generally concede that there may be physical benefits associated with vegetarianism but only if it is generally conceded that there may not be.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 13:22
    I don’t disagree then, however I hold that there is no spiritual value (from the Christian perspective) of being vegetarian.

I suspect that quite a few Christians get sucked into vegetarianism on the premise that they are getting closer to god. It is a fallacy imo.

I do generally concede that there may be physical benefits associated with vegetarianism but only if it is generally conceded that there may not be.
    Okay, let's play with this a little.

Instead of man in his perfect state being a 'non meat eater' (which he was), imagine God had instead made him perfect by dressing him in a smart suit. - Now imagine, after the flood, God had conceded that man was no longer 'the perfect creation' and so permitted him to wear a tracksuit.

As a Christian today, wouldn't there be some spiritual value in abstaining from wearing a tracksuit and wearing instead the smart suit God had first put you in? Sure, God allows you to wear a tracksuit (just like he allows you to eat meat) and you won't be punished for doing so. But don't you think choosing to wear the smart suit would have a positive effect on you in regards to your spirituality and religious mindset?
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 13:46
    Did mankind’s (peoplekind’s) meat eating teeth evolve after Eden or were they created? This is the point of interest.
    You could say that man was intended to be vegetarian for a period of time and thus they were given teeth adequate for meat eating.

I once heard an atheist vegetarian argue that there are some creatures that are mostly vegetable eating that also have sharp teeth.

Here is a post about that:
    https://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 14:03
    You could say that man was intended to be vegetarian for a period of time and thus they were given teeth adequate for meat eating.

I once heard an atheist vegetarian argue that there are some creatures that are mostly vegetable eating that also have sharp teeth.

Here is a post about that:
    https://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/
  10. The World
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 14:051 edit
    I'm intrigued by the way this is going, is there a suggestion that being expelled from Eden caused a physical change in Human form? Is that shown in the Bible? I accept that it's been a long while since I read it.

Of interest, to me, and possibly Divegeester (I hope I've got that right, apologise if not), I watched a program on the Kurdish area of Turkey, and theyve implied that Eden may have been located in that area, and as such the Tree may have been located in that area.

They also hypothesized that the fall of Eden may have been to do with extensive farming of the land drawing out a lot of the nutrients: they suggested that this may have been the cause of the downfall of man, the forbidden fruit.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 19:082 edits
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts
    I'm intrigued by the way this is going, is there a suggestion that being expelled from Eden caused a physical change in Human form? Is that shown in the Bible? I accept that it's been a long while since I read it.

Of interest, to me, and possibly Divegeester (I hope I've got that right, apologise if not), I watched a program on the Kurdish area of ...[text shortened]... s: they suggested that this may have been the cause of the downfall of man, the forbidden fruit.
    There are Christians who have posted at the SF before who maintain that not only Adam and Eve fell, but that the whole of creation did, and that lions in Eden were vegetarian. How they explain away the fact that present-day lions cannot digest grass, I do not know. I think they either deny this, or assume that God somehow sorted this out (miraculously).
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '18 19:40
    Okay, let's play with this a little.

Instead of man in his perfect state being a 'non meat eater' (which he was), imagine God had instead made him perfect by dressing him in a smart suit. - Now imagine, after the flood, God had conceded that man was no longer 'the perfect creation' and so permitted him to wear a tracksuit.

As a Christian today ...[text shortened]... suit would have a positive effect on you in regards to your spirituality and religious mindset?
    I can see the point you are trying to make but your analogy doesn’t take the premise any further than we have already discussed. It certaintly doesn’t consider the bible in the rest of its context.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 00:38
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts...,
    So no, God created man, gave them a chance to choose their own path etc. So not predetermined, total free will, and sin in based on each person's own morality, so nowt to do with God, but all down to the individual.

Just my thoughts.[/b]
    Yes child you have free will, and if you don't obey me then I kill all babies.

I'm not witty enough to flower that command as it deserves.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 00:591 edit
    Another non-engager :
    Who did Adam’s sons marry? And where did Cain get his wife?

There are levels to engagement, dive. Don't dismiss people just because they don't see what you do.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 04:581 edit

by saying vegetarianism 'is actually a step closer to God' I was saying it was a step closer to 'humanity as God had created it'. - I wasn't saying that giving up your Sunday roast was an alternative route to salvation.
    An omnipotent and infinitely good God could have created us to live on water and sunlight, without having to feed on the death of any living thing, plant or animal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree