1. Maryland
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 18:58
    It's my understanding that Jesus said to be his true follower, you must sell all your belongings and give the proceeds to the poor, you must love your enemies, and ,if attacked, you must show love and not fight back. How do you call yourselves Christians if you don't do these three things since clearly, most who call themselves Christians don't do these three things?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 19:14
    I would make a rebuttal but since I can't fight back......
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 19:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would make a rebuttal but since I can't fight back......
    Excellent! Your next step will be to sell your computer and give the proceeds to the poor. Of course after you do this, someone else will have to enter your reply for you, and you will forfeit you RHP games.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 19:36
    Originally posted by 667joe
    It's my understanding that Jesus said to be his true follower, you must sell all your belongings and give the proceeds to the poor, you must love your enemies, and ,if attacked, you must show love and not fight back. How do you call yourselves Christians if you don't do these three things since clearly, most who call themselves Christians don't do these three things?
    I suggest you actually get the quote and context and post it.
    Kelly
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 21:30
    "It's my understanding..."

That's right.

Now try to understand.

To really be a Christian one must first trust in what Christ did on the cross on their behalf.

That's the first step.

The second step is to suffer like hell for the rest of your life.

Just kidding!

Being a Christian is simple, but not simplistic. Depending on who you talk to you'll get all kinds of advice. The bottom line though is the Word of God. It's the final authority on all matters concerning life and living.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 23:411 edit
    These are very real decisions one is faced with, for there seems to be something in this line of thinking.
    Following these words blindly is not the way forward, I would suggest.

A certain monk had long hair but was perfectly prepaired to cut it off.
    Said the master:"It is clear you are prepared to cut off your hair, with no hesitation or regret, therefore you may keep your hair."
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 23:49
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    These are very real decisions one is faced with, for there seems to be something in this line of thinking.
    Following these words blindly is not the way forward, I would suggest.

A certain monk had long hair but was perfectly prepaired to cut it off.
    Said the master:"It is clear you are prepared to cut off your hair, with no hesitation or regret, therefore you may keep your hair."
    Nice, but I think you're comparing apples with oranges.

A certain disciple of Jesus was perfectly willing to stop fornicating. Said Jesus; It is clear you are perfectly willing to stop fornicating without regret, therefore you may continue in sin.

Do you see what I mean?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 00:061 edit
    You seem to have a poor understanding of what Christians believe.

From what I can tell, most Christians believe that what's important is believing that because Jesus died on the cross they can sin with impunity. What's more, most seem to believe it is not possible for them not to sin which allows them to not feel bad when they do. Following the teachings of Jesus is relatively unimportant. What's particularly interesting is that neither of the above beliefs were taught by Jesus. In fact, Jesus taught the opposite.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 00:22
    They didn't just sell their belongings and give the proceeds to the poor. That, in itself, accomplishes nothing, for it leaves people at the mercy of a system built on exploitation. What they did was to lay the proceeds at the feet of the apostles so that it could be distributed to any as had need. The key distinction here is that they were no longer participating in that system of exploitation. They were dropping out of that system and laying the basis for an alternative economy. They were in the process of building the Kingdom of God.

But you are right, too many Christians misunderstand what Jesus meant when he said that the Kingdom was not of this world.
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 00:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You seem to have a poor understanding of what Christians believe.

From what I can tell, most Christians believe that what's important is believing that because Jesus died on the cross they can sin with impunity. What's more, most seem to believe it is not possible for them not to sin which allows them to not feel bad when they do. Following the teachin ...[text shortened]... s that neither of the above beliefs were taught by Jesus. In fact, Jesus taught the opposite.
    No, I think I have a good idea of what Christians believe. Unfortunately, it has little to do with what Jesus taught. Most Christians believe in the easy part, but don't follow the hard part of what Jesus taught. It's easy to say you believe in Jesus, but very hard to do the 3 things listed at the start of the thread. Unless you take the whole package you are falling short!
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 00:27
    many are called few are chosen.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 01:25
    Originally posted by josephw
    Nice, but I think you're comparing apples with oranges.

A certain disciple of Jesus was perfectly willing to stop fornicating. Said Jesus; It is clear you are perfectly willing to stop fornicating without regret, therefore you may continue in sin.

Do you see what I mean?
    Now who's comparing apples to oranges????
    Fornicating or loss of hair. Surely these are different types of 'sin' ,(or karma), the first of which has little effect on the outside world, while the latter can spawn an evil army.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 03:403 edits
    Excellent! Your next step will be to sell your computer and give the proceeds to the poor. Of course after you do this, someone else will have to enter your reply for you, and you will forfeit you RHP games.
    ON second thought, perhaps I will get out my money changer whip and beat your arse instead!! 😠

Edit: Note to self, perhaps theology is not one of your strong suits.
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 04:47
    Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Matthew 19:21

He did not say "to be a Christian" and this doesn't seem to be his expectation of everyone on the planet. It's not even realistic. After all Christians get rid of all their belongings, can they all come live with you? Will you feed them for the rest of their lives, since they won't be able to hold down a job if they only have the clothes on their back and no clean clothes to change into.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '09 04:511 edit
    No, I think I have a good idea of what Christians believe. Unfortunately, it has little to do with what Jesus taught. Most Christians believe in the easy part, but don't follow the hard part of what Jesus taught. It's easy to say you believe in Jesus, but very hard to do the 3 things listed at the start of the thread. Unless you take the whole package you are falling short!
    I actually don't think you have clue what Christians believe.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree