1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 12:23
    I saw a bumper sticker not long ago. It stated:

"Jesus, please save me from your followers!"

Because this Forum seems to be dominated by Christian Theology; I think I'd rather enjoy learning about other beliefs and philosophies.

The current right-wing religious movement in the USA is filled with hypocrisy and is driving me away.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 13:20
    Originally posted by @wolfe63

Because this Forum seems to be dominated by Christian Theology; I think I'd rather enjoy learning about other beliefs and philosophies.

The current right-wing religious movement in the USA is filled with hypocrisy and is driving me away.
    I think it is more a question of quantity rather than quality.

The forum may appeared dominated by Christian Theology (due to their long winded posts) but in actuality it is the atheist arguments that dominate and carry the real gravitas.

😏
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 15:31

I was having a conversation with someone just the other day about how one determines a religion’s beliefs. She suggested leaders of the religion (such as pastors, priests, rabbis or imams) but I think it’s the religion’s source text, which, in Christianity, is the New Testament; in Judaism is the Torah (or first five books of the Old Testament) and in Islam is, I think, the Quran.

Pastors, priests and imams will disagree about doctrine so, in my opinion, asking them is not the right way to know what a religion is all about. It certainly can’t hurt to hear the perspective of a leader of a particular religion but I don’t think one should buy into that perspective based solely on that leader’s words.

Anyone know the source texts for Hinduism, Buddhism or any other prominent religions?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 15:32
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

The forum may appeared dominated by Christian Theology (due to their long winded posts) but in actuality it is the atheist arguments that dominate and carry the real gravitas.

😏
    <The forum may appeared dominated by Christian Theology (due to their long winded posts) but in actuality it is the atheist arguments that dominate and carry the real gravitas.>

LOL
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I was having a conversation with someone just the other day about how one determines a religion’s beliefs. She suggested leaders of the religion (such as pastors, priests, rabbis or imams) but I think it’s the religion’s source text, which, in Christianity, is the New Testament; in Judaism is the Torah (or first five books of the Old Testament) and in Is ...[text shortened]... words.

Anyone know the source texts for Hinduism, Buddhism or any other prominent religions?
    "Anyone know the source texts for Hinduism, Buddhism or any other prominent religions?"

Yes.

Genuine question. - Why don't you? - In other words, before becoming a Christian why didn't you explore the other religions out there? (If for no other reason than to discount them).
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:00
    <The forum may appeared dominated by Christian Theology (due to their long winded posts) but in actuality it is the atheist arguments that dominate and carry the real gravitas.>

LOL
    Yes, almost all of us feel secure in our beliefs; secure enough to laugh at those who suggest we are threatened..But some of us thrive on casting ourselves as being under threat.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:07
    "Anyone know the source texts for Hinduism, Buddhism or any other prominent religions?"

Yes.

Genuine question. - Why don't you? - In other words, before becoming a Christian why didn't you explore the other religions out there? (If for no other reason than to discount them).
    Because once the evidence for Christ’s divinity, purpose of His Crucifixion and His Resurrection convinced me that Christianity was true, why would I bother investigating religions that did not recognize it?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:11
    Because once the evidence for Christ’s divinity, purpose of His Crucifixion and His Resurrection convinced me that Christianity was true, why would I bother investigating religions that did not recognize it?
    "If you find a good move, look for a better one."

Emanuel Lasker
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:17

Emanuel Lasker
    My favorite chess playing rule.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:21

Emanuel Lasker
    That’s a good principle in chess, depending on how much time is left on the clock, but a proper examination of every religion, or even only the major ones, would be quite time consuming, and, in my opinion, not worth the investment.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:21
    Originally posted by @sonship
    My favorite chess playing rule.
    Then why not apply that philosophy when looking for a religion?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:24
    That’s a good principle in chess, depending on how much time is left on the clock, but a proper examination of every religion, or even only the major ones, would be quite time consuming, and, in my opinion, not worth the investment.
    How would you know?

What if Lasker said it wasn't worth the time investment looking for a better move, and ended up overlooking a queen capture?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 16:412 edits

😏
    You might notice. (I don't know) that when some others come speaking of their spirituality which is pointedly non-Christian - I do not interfere.

They have a right here to write about it.
    And "most talked about" is not to me "dominated by".

I may interject when I read something pointedly AGAINST the Gospel of Christ. I do not automatically try to derail threads which are voices of other spiritual interests, Reincarnation, Buddhism, Zen, Atheism, Bahai, Hinduism, etc. My Own Special Individualized Spirituality - ism.

JW's by nature calls for rebuttal because it perverts the New Testament.

I think it has always been an equal opportunity Forum here.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 17:22

I am sorry that you feel that way .But that is some kind of unfair element of pride, my friend, to think that you are better than the flawed followers of Christ...

But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, take a look at how Islam performs in the Middle East and how Buddhism performs in Myanmar and Sri Lanka and Thailand and, even here, in South Korea.

The second that you put the magnifying glass on any culture, religion, or society, you will notice right off that there is a particular problem where humans tend to poorly execute all religions and use them as clubs to mess each other up.

Point being, the "alternatives" don't actually end up liberating you from the problem that you find among the Christians around you.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 17:49
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I am sorry that you feel that way .But that is some kind of unfair element of pride, my friend, to think that you are better than the flawed followers of Christ...

But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, take a look at how Islam performs in the Middle East and how Buddhism performs in Myanmar and Sri Lanka and Thailand and, even here, in South Korea.

The second t ...[text shortened]... t actually end up liberating you from the problem that you find among the Christians around you.
    Psst,....the Crusades.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree