1. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Psst,....the Crusades.
    Hey thats just one.and Im sure you know there are dozens
    If Catholics Google atrocities of the Catholic Church many would be surprised.
    But they probably wont care
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:411 edit
    The teachings of Hinduism are found in the Vedas. The Vedas claim to be over 8000 years old and archeological evidence (the location of Krishna's city in northwest India) seems to back that up. From a purely historical perspective the Vedas are the most accurate in my opinion.
    P.S. I am not a Hindu
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:45
    How would you know?

What if Lasker said it wasn't worth the time investment looking for a better move, and ended up overlooking a queen capture?
    In chess, the human mind cannot be certain that a move is best, particularly in a complicated middle game.

I think the human mind can make a correct determination that Jesus Christ was/is God if one evaluates evidence with an open heart and mind, accepts Christ and receives the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 18:49
    Psst,....the Crusades.
    What in the New Testament, which is Christianity’s foundational text, justified the Crusades?

I think it’s an error to judge a religion based on the behavior of some (or even all) of its followers. Instead, judge a religion based on what its foundational text says.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I saw a bumper sticker not long ago. It stated:

"Jesus, please save me from your followers!"

Because this Forum seems to be dominated by Christian Theology; I think I'd rather enjoy learning about other beliefs and philosophies.

The current right-wing religious movement in the USA is filled with hypocrisy and is driving me away.
    Perhaps this is what the author of the bumper sticker had in mind:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Given the above, a non-Christian theology that you should consider is the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. With the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry, right-wing Christians have no leg to stand on.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:11
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    What in the New Testament, which is Christianity’s foundational text, justified the Crusades?

I think it’s an error to judge a religion based on the behavior of some (or even all) of its followers. Instead, judge a religion based on what its foundational text says.
    What absolute nonsense !!
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:251 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    What absolute nonsense !!
    Do you want to say why you think or are you once again trolling?

I realize you have an antipathy toward Christians who read the Bible and go to church based on your previous posts, but neither you nor anyone else decides who God is and what his nature and character are - that’s revealed by God Himself in the Holy Bible.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:52
    In chess, the human mind cannot be certain that a move is best, particularly in a complicated middle game....
    Chess is a giant game of tic tac toe. Fun if you let it. I don't know how to say that magic is involved.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:57
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Chess is a giant game of tic tac toe. Fun if you let it. I don't know how to say that magic is involved.
    Bobby Fischer’s victory in, I think, the Game of the Century against one of the Byrne brothers caused an annotator to say Fischer achieving such a winning position from an equal-looking position in only a few moves “was more witchcraft than chess.”
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 22:35
    Re: 'Perhaps this is what the author of the bumper sticker had in mind:
    “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi'

Very well stated Think of One. Thank you!

I do believe that the quote by Ghandi boils my problem down to its essence:
    However, the question remains: How am I to proceed?
    The image of the loving, forgiving and generous religion of my youth has been hi-jacked by spiteful extremists. :'(
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 23:22
    ― Mahatma Gandhi'

However, the question remains: How am I to pro ...[text shortened]... ving, forgiving and generous religion of my youth has been hi-jacked by spiteful extremists. :'(
    Nothing of the sort has happened.
    The body of Christ aka the followers of Christ are alive and well all over the world
    You just need to stop looking for them in the churches.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 23:323 edits
    ― Mahatma Gandhi'

However, the question remains: How am I to pro ...[text shortened]... ving, forgiving and generous religion of my youth has been hi-jacked by spiteful extremists. :'(
    I wasn't being facetious when I wrote this:
    <<Given the above, a non-Christian theology that you should consider is the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. With the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry, right-wing Christians have no leg to stand on.>>

You could try understanding the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry by letting His words speak for themselves. You'd have to set aside everything the NT writers wrapped around the gospel Jesus preached and everything you've been taught about it.

If you don't want to go that far, try reading the OP in the "Red Letter Christians" thread. Seems like you've voiced many of the same concerns.

If you don't want to do that the Bahá'í Faith has much to recommend it and it's deficiencies are quite minor in comparison to Christianity. From what I can tell, the deficiencies that are there are a result of the corruption of the teachings of it main prophet Bahá'u'lláh, just as the deficiencies in Christianity are a result of the corruption of the teachings of Jesus.

Vedanta also has much to recommend it.

Perhaps it really comes down to what you are seeking. Can you elaborate on that?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 23:34
    ― Mahatma Gandhi'

Proceed with simplicity and truth in your heart
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 00:12
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Nothing of the sort has happened.
    The body of Christ aka the followers of Christ are alive and well all over the world
    You just need to stop looking for them in the churches.
    Don’t know what you have against people who go to church. You don’t think Jesus is pleased by Christians singing worship and praise songs to Him, tithing and fellowshipping with one another?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 03:51
    Religions are surely, in large measure, about governing and encouraging certain behaviours in their followers by way of ideologies. If there is a disconnect between the actual behaviours of followers and the foundational texts, it certainly cannot be an error to discuss this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree