1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:38
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You can decide which is "right" if you want and then declare the rest wrong.

I feel no need to apply the No True Scotsman logical fallacy to it.
    The Bible is the final authority.

You’re relying on fallible men to tell you about an infallible God. Better to read the New Testament, which, though written by men, was done so under the guidance and influence of God’s infallible Holy Spirit.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:44
    Don't you have to do what Jesus commanded you to do?
    Jesus commanded us to believe on Him. We are made righteous (in right standing with God) through this belief.

If you’re referencing good works, we are able to do good works through the leading of God’s Holy Spirit that indwells Christians. In other words, we don’t do the good works on our own but ideally are an instrument of God’s Holy Spirit.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:46
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    The Bible is the final authority. You’re relying on fallible men to tell you about an infallible God.
    The only people it's for and who read it are "fallible men". It's given rise to tens of thousands of denominations, sects and cults.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:47
    Jesus commanded us to believe on Him. We are made righteous (in right standing with God) through this belief.

If you’re referencing good works, we are able to do good works through the leading of God’s Holy Spirit that indwells Christians. In other words, we don’t do the good works on our own but ideally are an instrument of God’s Holy Spirit.
    Don't you have to do specific acts and works that Jesus commanded you to do?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:50
    Then how do you know your sample size is acceptable under qualitative research?
    I am not concerned with sample sizes. I just converse with self-described Christians and see what they do, what they have to say, and how they seem to be affected by what they believe.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 05:52
    In other words, we don’t do the good works on our own but ideally are an instrument of God’s Holy Spirit.
    So you look after your mother - for example - because of "God’s Holy Spirit"?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 06:05
    The only people it's for and who read it are "fallible men". It's given rise to tens of thousands of denominations, sects and cults.
    Fallible men do indeed read it, but if they call upon God to give them understanding, they will learn what God is imparting through it.

I think, though this is just my opinion, that parts of the Bible are similar to how Jesus occasionally taught using parables that even His disciples could not initially discern.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 06:06
    Don't you have to do specific acts and works that Jesus commanded you to do?
    “Have” to do? No.

Want to do as the Holy Spirit changes our hearts? Yes.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 06:08
    I am not concerned with sample sizes. I just converse with self-described Christians and see what they do, what they have to say, and how they seem to be affected by what they believe.
    Then you’re likely coming to an incorrect opinion/conclusion about Christianity because the number of people you’re forming this opinion and conclusion on are nowhere near a large enough sample given how many people identify as Christians in the world.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 06:151 edit
    So you look after your mother - for example - because of "God’s Holy Spirit"?
    I do much more than “look after” my mother as her sole caregiver, as I’ve said at least three times before, but certainly God’s Holy Spirit within me has made me a more conscientious and compassionate caregiver.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 06:55
    I do much more than “look after” my mother as her sole caregiver, as I’ve said at least three times before, but certainly God’s Holy Spirit within me has made me a more conscientious and compassionate caregiver.
    More "conscientious and compassionate" than whom?

Yourself, prior to 4 years ago?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 07:05
    Then you’re likely coming to an incorrect opinion/conclusion about Christianity because the number of people you’re forming this opinion and conclusion on are nowhere near a large enough sample given how many people identify as Christians in the world.
    Every single self-identifying Christian yields information about Christianity as far as I am concerned because I pay no attention the attempts by diverse Christians to squeeze the realities of Christianity through their innumerable personal No True Scotsmen filters.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 07:39
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I saw a bumper sticker not long ago. It stated:

"Jesus, please save me from your followers!"

Because this Forum seems to be dominated by Christian Theology; I think I'd rather enjoy learning about other beliefs and philosophies.

The current right-wing religious movement in the USA is filled with hypocrisy and is driving me away.
    We just had another rampage of someone shooting dead unarmed students in a public school.

I wonder of the ACLU is going to go after all those teachers and students who may have been praying to God for their lives at the school - you know - separation of church and state.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 07:44
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I wonder of the ACLU is going to go after all those teachers and students who may have been praying to God for their lives at the school - you know - separation of church and state.
    In what way is "teachers and students ...praying" an issue of "separation of church and state"?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 08:20
    More "conscientious and compassionate" than whom?

Yourself, prior to 4 years ago?
    U got this with one eye open lmfao

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree