War Crimes in the Bible

War Crimes in the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
20 Feb 19

@sonship
You are a sick, demented man. Get some help.
😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

S. Korea

Moves
20 Feb 19

@deepthought said
Are you aware of any archeological evidence specific to the destruction of the Midianites?
No, but it could be out there.

I've only read specifically about the conquest of Canaan and the Babylonian conquest of Israel.

I'm sure there's some material out there.

And if it isn't, it may honestly be because no one has gotten around to it. It's not the most high profile case around.

And i also think that no one in Christianity is eager to prove this, and no one in atheism feels a need to disprove it as it is a story that people often cite to argue against Christianity.

It's not really at the top of anyone's list.

S. Korea

Moves
20 Feb 19

@caissad4 said
@sonship
A culture and religion which endorses rape. And you worship that piece of crap ??
In my holy book that makes you a worse piece of crap.
C'mon apologist, say this is okay.
It doesn't endorse rape, though.

Of course, in some indirect way which assumes that any firm of sex within an arranged marriage is unwanted, maybe.

But I don't think people even thought remotely in those sorts of terms back then, right.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
20 Feb 19

@philokalia said
It doesn't endorse rape, though.

Of course, in some indirect way which assumes that any firm of sex within an arranged marriage is unwanted, maybe.

But I don't think people even thought remotely in those sorts of terms back then, right.
Trivializing rape is not that far off from endorsing rape. Right.
I thought you held this holy book as being direct from your god ?
The penalties for crimes come from your god ? Right.
Or perhaps, just perhaps, much of this holy book is a manmade, not divine, construct.

S. Korea

Moves
20 Feb 19

Where does it say that the Midianite women were violated, and that this is a good thing?

It says in Numbers 31:18:

But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Which implies that any unmarried woman was kept alive, likely to be a house servant or to subsequently become a first wife or concubine (as polygamy was permitted at this time).

Nothing about it implies violation.

Of course, we can assume that it occurred just as we can assume that, in the year 980 BC, there was a murder in Jerusalem... Yet, both of such instances would have been condemned by Jewish law, would it not have?

But, following the internal logic of Judaism that you may not subscribe to, none of these women were to be violated. They were to be married, or to be kept as servants, right?

I know its' a hard topic -- and that is why we have to be very thorough with the content.

D

Moves
20 Feb 19

D

Moves
20 Feb 19
1 edit

F

Moves
20 Feb 19

The post that was quoted here has been removed
What international laws or specific laws of war are you suggesting were broken? Or are you using the word "crime" emotively to mean something like 'reprehensible act'?

D

Moves
20 Feb 19

F

Moves
20 Feb 19

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Why not approach it as a moral issue rather than a hypothetical legal issue?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Feb 19

@philokalia said
No, but it could be out there.

I've only read specifically about the conquest of Canaan and the Babylonian conquest of Israel.

I'm sure there's some material out there.

And if it isn't, it may honestly be because no one has gotten around to it. It's not the most high profile case around.

And i also think that no one in Christianity is eager to prove this, an ...[text shortened]... at people often cite to argue against Christianity.

It's not really at the top of anyone's list.
I don't think you can rely strongly on a plausibility argument regarding the existence of evidence for an event recorded in a text whose historicity is disputed.

w

Moves
20 Feb 19

@FMF

I have just the opposite problem. I look at all the injustice in the world running rampant, abortion, wars, slavery at an all time high in human history, and I wonder how God can be so merciful as to let them continue?

F

Moves
20 Feb 19

@whodey said
@FMF

I have just the opposite problem. I look at all the injustice in the world running rampant, abortion, wars, slavery at an all time high in human history, and I wonder how God can be so merciful as to let them continue?
What are you on about?

"The opposite problem" to whom?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Feb 19

@sonship said
@caissad4

A culture and religion which endorses rape. And you worship that piece of crap ??
In my holy book that makes you a worse piece of crap.
C'mon apologist, say this is okay.

And you all get annoyed if I have to call someone "twisto-brain".

You're TWISTED with bigotry in your reading comprehension of the Holy Bible.

God making provision ...[text shortened]... e between what the Bible records as having happened and what it TEACHES as a way of conduct.
Both Kate Blanchard and Scholz note that there are several passages in the Book of Isaiah, Book of Jeremiah, and Book of Ezekiel that utilize rape metaphors. Blanchard expressed outrage over this fact, writing "The translations of these shining examples of victim-blaming are clear enough, despite the old-fashioned language: I'm angry and you're going to suffer for it. You deserve to be raped because of your sexual exploits. You're a sl*t and it was just a matter of time till you suffered the consequences. Let this be a lesson to you and to all other uppity women." Scholz discussed four passages—Isaiah 3:16-17, Jeremiah 13:22 and 26, Ezekiel 16, and Ezekiel 23. Regarding Jeremiah, Scholz wrote, "The poem proclaims that the woman brought this fate upon herself and she is to be blamed for it, while the prophet sides with the sexually violent perpetrators, viewing the attack as deserved and God as justifying it. Rape poetics endorses 'masculine authoritarianism' and the 'dehumanization of women,' perhaps especially when the subject is God.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_Hebrew_Bible

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Feb 19
3 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Both Kate Blanchard and Scholz note that there are several passages in the Book of Isaiah, Book of Jeremiah, and Book of Ezekiel that utilize rape metaphors. Blanchard expressed outrage over this fact, writing "The translations of these shining examples of victim-blaming are clear enough, despite the old-fashioned language: I'm angry and you're going to suffer for it. You deserve to be raped because of your sexual exploits.

Ask Blanchard and Scholtz how they feel about the book of Hosea. There God expresses His undying love for faithless Israel by commanding the prophet to marry a prostitute.

There are cases when someone went looking to end up in trouble. The passages sited did not say EVERY case of rape was so, I'm pretty sure. Have yet to examine them.

That's they're exaggeration and less than reliable exegesis speaking perhaps with bias toward some kind of feminism.

Was it like the metaphorical "wife" was not warned ?

Spend some time on Deuteronomy 28:15-68. More than ample heads up was given to Israel that forsaking Yahweh for idols and other gods would mean absolute, no uncertain VICTIM-hood - victimization.