slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '14 10:32
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    One of things I have wondered about will be music, without time
    keeping a beat would be worthless There is a lot about that, that I'm do
    wonder about.
    Kelly
    Without time, communications of ANY sort would be impossible since communications is ideas spread out in time.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '14 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Without time, communications of ANY sort would be impossible since communications is ideas spread out in time.
    This from experience?
    Kelly
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:35
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    So the New Jerusalem is not merely temporary housing for Heaven? Is it another name for Heaven? Or are there two destinations for the saved, some going to one of those places and the rest to the other?
    The New Jerusalem is a sign concluding the Bible which has a profound meaning. With a birds' eye vision of the whole Bible we can see that God's eternal purpose is to dispense Himself into a group of people so that they become a corporate dwelling place of God.

Rather than imagine a golden mountain that is a cube hovering above the planet we should think of God united with man. Rather than imagine physically dancing on streets of gold we should understand God and man mingled.

The proper local church (one church for one city) is the practical New Jerusalem in the church age. And the consummation of God's building up the local churches has its climax in the universal mingling of God and man.

To "mingle" two or more things together is to combine them in such a way so that the components of the combination remain distinguishable. The climax of human history is New Jerusalem as the enlarged church, the consummated Body of Christ, the perfected royal family, God and man united in mingling.

She is not temporary but eternal - for God finds a home, a house, a tabernacle within the people whom He has redeemed, justified, transformed, resurrected and glorified.

If this is too difficult to comprehend then I try to simplify it a little. new Jerusalem is exactly Jesus Christ Himself enlarged, grown, expanded into millions probably billions of human beings so saved by Him throughout the ages. Think of Christ mass produced. Think of Christ as the individual standard model of what God wants but in eternity expanded, multiplied, enlarged into a collective and corporate mingling of God and man.

This is why we were created. And this is why the universe exists for God to complete the church and consummate her in New Jerusalem.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:46
    Here's a hypothetical conversation between Sunday school teacher Twyla and little Paul Dirac around the age of thirteen--

Twyla: "Does God love us individual humans?"

Paul: "Why sure He does!"

Twyla: "Would God use scripture to lie to us?"

Paul: "Definitely not."

Twyla: "Is there such a thing as lying by omission?"

Paul: "Yes. You've ...[text shortened]... about this dramatic idea of beings living elsewhere in the universe?"

Paul: "It is fiction."
    This is the kind of sunday school teaching that most teens erase from their heads because it makes no sense once you start maturing.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:50
    Some Bible believers would say Genesis 1:27 is talking about man being the moral image of the Creator, not the three-dimensional shape (head/trunk/limbs/digits) that you are talking about.
    Some would say? What do you say? Does that follow from Bible teaching?
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:52
    My experiences of listening to the minister's sermons and interacting in Sunday school classes during my churchgoing youth left me with the impression that once the 1000-year reign of Jesus on Earth is completed, all humans become purely spirit and live on forever in Heaven or Hell, whichever may be the case for each individual.

Heaven was not some ...[text shortened]... our understanding of the future and the afterlife different than mine was when I was one of you?
    Too many unknown's for me to decide. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You can read about the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21 and 22. Some believe it is all symbolic or figurative language. But it has to do with the new heaven and new earth that God creates after the old heaven and earth pass away.

Because of the dimensions given, some believe it is in the form of a cube, but there is no statement that that is the case. I ...[text shortened]... ce of the earth, but I assume that might be the case. I also assume the city will last forever.
    No statement that it is a cube?

It says this;; The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

How is that not a cube?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 May '14 11:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    Too many unknown's for me to decide. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Correct about that .. too many unknowns. I guess thats what makes it fun to discuss.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 May '14 12:003 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You can read about the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21 and 22. Some believe it is all symbolic or figurative language. But it has to do with the new heaven and new earth that God creates after the old heaven and earth pass away.

New Jerusalem is a continuation of what the Christians should be enjoying today. She is not in nature different from what the Christian life and normal church life should be today.

In other words she is a FULL TASTE of what we should be enjoying today as a FORETASTE.

We Christians are not so much as going to New Jerusalem as we are becomming New Jerusalem. We are being transformed INTO New Jerusalem. If you are saved you are a part of New Jerusalem.

If you received the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart, rest assured that you are a constituent part of that eternal city New Jerusalem. You have a foretaste today of what will grow, enlarge, develop into a consummated climax in the ages to come.

The saved are becomming New Jerusalem from the inside out. That is the significance of what John saw represented as a "sign" in the end of the Bible.

Because of the dimensions given, some believe it is in the form of a cube, but there is no statement that that is the case. I did not notice any specific statement that says the city is on the surface of the earth, but I assume that might be the case. I also assume the city will last forever.

The meaning of the dimensions being a cube is that it is the enlarged Holy of Holies.

I would encourage all to obtain a Recovery Version of the New Testament and read the footnotes on Revelation 21 and 22. I have known people to obtain a Recovery Version and not be able to put it down for reading it all night.

You can be sent a free one at www.biblesforamerica.org

Anyway, the dimensions being equal to produce a cube mean that the entire city is the Holy of Holies where God's presence dwells in man.

"And the city lies square, and its length is as great as the breadth. And he measured the city with the reed to a length of twelve thousand stadia; the length and the breadth and the height of it are equal." (Rev. 21:16)

Revelation 21:16 - Footnote 16(4) of the Recovery Version New Testament reads:

"The dimensions of the Holy of Holies, in both the tabernacle and the temple, were equal in length, breadth, and height (Exo. 26:2-8; 1 Kings 6:20). Hence, that the length and the breadth and the height of New Jerusalem are equal signifies that the entire New Jerusalem will be the Holy of Holies. In it, all God's redeemed ones will serve and worship God, will see and touch God's presence, and will live and dwell in God's presence for eternity."

Praise God for such a salvation that a city of untold billions could be the magnified Holy of Holies where God meets with His people. But an important point is that the Christian must be foretasting this meeting with God and living in His presence individually and collectively today in the church age.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    31 May '14 16:492 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Some would say? What do you say? Does that follow from Bible teaching?
    As an agnostic, I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak. I would hope the writer of Genesis was sophisticated enough to have no expectation that a purported universal Creator was a bipedal mammal with a digestive tract and so on, such that he was not writing about the three-dimensional configuration when he wrote "in the image of God." But then again Charles Darwin's insights about primate evolution were thousands of years in the future, so the idea that Homo sapiens is just one more transitory species in the evolutionary tree rather than the model of polished perfection was certainly not grasped yet.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    31 May '14 16:53
    Originally posted by sonship
    Rather than imagine a golden mountain that is a cube hovering above the planet we should think of God united with man. Rather than imagine physically dancing on streets of gold we should understand God and man mingled.
    Is what you wrote the view of some particular denomination, or something you have worked out on your own?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '14 18:03
    This from experience?
    Kelly
    So me how you would communicate with another person in a timeless world.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 May '14 20:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So me how you would communicate with another person in a timeless world.
    Having never been timeless I wouldn't know, which was why I asked you! 🙂
    We live in a tiny little sliver of time, now! It is so small it doesn't have a
    beginning, middle, or end. It is just now.

So what happens when that becomes unnecessary, no idea.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    31 May '14 20:31
    ... I think seeing paintings of the Father as any
    human male a bit off.
    On that note, I would recommend the books of Desmond Morris as reading for you.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 May '14 20:341 edit
    Is what you wrote the view of some particular denomination, or something you have worked out on your own?
    I never read such an interpretation all the years I was in any denomination. Such light seems to have been released by the Holy Spirit in a situation away from the divisions of denominational Christianity. It was released by the Holy Spirit to the believers in the Lord's recovery back to the genuine oneness of the church life.

The light is available to all God's children in the universal church. The source of the light seems to have come from brothers open to the Spirit of God in the recovery of the churches on the ground of the local oneness.

http://www.lordsrecovery.org/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree