1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:32
    @fmf said
    Speak for yourself. I don't concur with this kind of silly talk. Just say what you feel; don't try to incorporate me into what it makes you want to do.
    I think it's a normal response to an on-line bully to have feelings of reprisal.

In the real world I wouldn't tolerate it.

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
    Romans 12:18
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:32
    @secondson said
    You appear to be waffling. Above you said it was "mostly boring", and now you're saying it's "fascinating".
    Yes. I'm getting the two aspects a bit mixed up. It's kind of fascinating that people would so debase themselves online that they are making threats of violence. The actual threats of violence are "mostly boring" though. In a sense, the tough-guy & threats thing is an element of the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar thing: they have constructed a world to inhabit in which they back up their stances and frictions with ominous allusions to their physical prowess. It's fascinating that they do this, I suppose. More interesting though are the elements of the alter ego that get cultivated.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:34
    @secondson said
    I think it's a normal response to an on-line bully to have feelings of reprisal.
    No, I don't. I think it's just pathetic. I think someone who makes threats of violence has basically pulled their trousers down to their ankles.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:35
    @secondson said

In the real world I wouldn't tolerate it.
    Why? What would you do?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:37
    @fmf said
    It's about the construction of a kind of alter ego who purports to have had all manner of experiences.
    That is interesting.

Do you believe there are posters here that exhibit those symptoms of online disinhibition syndrome in that way?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:39
    @fmf said
    Yes. I'm getting the two aspects a bit mixed up. It's kind of fascinating that people would so debase themselves online that they are making threats of violence. The actual threats of violence are "mostly boring" though. In a sense, the tough-guy & threats thing is an element of the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar thing: they have constructed a world to inhabit in which they back up thei ...[text shortened]... y do this, I suppose. More interesting though are the elements of the alter ego that get cultivated.
    I see.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:41
    @fmf said
    No, I don't. I think it's just pathetic. I think someone who makes threats of violence has basically pulled their trousers down to their ankles.
    True, online. But in reality it's a different animal.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:44
    @fmf said
    Why? What would you do?
    If it be possible, as much as lieth in you(me), live peaceably with all men.

"If possible" I'd turn the other cheek.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:48
    @secondson said
    That is interesting.

Do you believe there are posters here that exhibit those symptoms of online disinhibition syndrome in that way?
    There are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of alleged U.S. Marine Corps sergeants out there, or so it would seem! Or at least, that can be extrapolated from a sample.

I was a member of a tight-knit online community years back that talked about music released by a certain label. One member ~ using his real name, oddly enough ~ started a long drawn out running commentary on his impending death from brain cancer. The group indulged him and worried for him. One day, me and this other guy bumped into him by accident in Tokyo. The whole story had been an attention-seeking figment of his imagination. He disappeared from the message board as of that day.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:49
    @secondson said
    "If possible" I'd turn the other cheek.
    How is that 'not tolerating it'?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:50
    @secondson said
    True, online. But in reality it's a different animal.
    In reality, I don't come across many people who pull their trousers down to their ankles.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:51
    @secondson said
    Here at RHP? Yes, over the years I think there have been a few.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 13:03
    @fmf said
    There are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of alleged U.S. Marine Corps sergeants out there, or so it would seem! Or at least, that can be extrapolated from a sample.

I was a member of a tight-knit online community years back that talked about music released by a certain label. One member ~ using his real name, oddly enough ~ started a long drawn out running commentary on h ...[text shortened]... attention-seeking figment of his imagination. He disappeared from the message board as of that day.
    There are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of alleged all kinds, even billions of people exhibiting alter egos.

Nothing new there.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 13:06
    @fmf said
    How is that 'not tolerating it'?
    Confrontation. Easy to do on line.
    But in real life situations one must judge the circumstances and act accordingly.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 13:08
    @secondson said
    Confrontation. Easy to do on line.
    But in real life situations one must judge the circumstances and act accordingly.
    What does "act accordingly" mean?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree