1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 06:47
    @karoly-aczel said
    naughty?

you mean glutinous?

You have to take control. Balance and use, not abuse.
    to late damage done call it greed or addiction its a recovery mission now, make the most of the time I have left.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 10:52
    @fmf said
    I think online disinhibition syndrome is interesting.
    It is.
    Like what alcohol does. Loosens the tongue. With the added ingredient of anonymity.

For example, I might say aloud I have a kind of affinity for everyone posting in these threads akin to love, when in reality, if we where sitting face to face, I would be inhibited to say.

Would you agree that that is a symptom of disinhibition syndrome?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:031 edit
    @secondson said
    It is.
    Like what alcohol does. Loosens the tongue. With the added ingredient of anonymity.

For example, I might say aloud I have a kind of affinity for everyone posting in these threads akin to love, when in reality, if we where sitting face to face, I would be inhibited to say.

Would you agree that that is a symptom of disinhibition syndrome?
    Your question presupposes that there is some mystery about what the words "inhibition" and "disinhibition" mean. For me, there isn't. The "disinhibition" that I think is relevant to this thread is the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar kind. If all the people who've assured me - online - that they were sergeants in the U.S. Marine Corps, actually were, then the U.S. Marine Corps must have over 20 million men and women on active duty.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:18
    @badradger said
    to late damage done call it greed or addiction its a recovery mission now, make the most of the time I have left.
    You are doing the right thing by identifying and acknowledging the truth about your condition. Support in "therapeutic sessions" with others is a powerful tool on the path of recovery. I've been there. It works.

There's an added benefit though that you will discover after you get you feet back on the ground.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:35
    @fmf said
    Your question presupposes that there is some mystery about what the words "inhibition" and "disinhibition" mean. For me, there isn't. The "disinhibition" that I think is relevant to this thread is the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar kind. If all the people who've assured me - online - that they were sergeants in the U.S. Marine Corps, actually were, then the U.S. Marine Corps must have over 20 million men and women on active duty.
    I see no mystery. I think you're over complicating the alleged "syndrome" by over exaggeration.

Have 20 million people tried assuring you that they were marines?

Disinhibition syndrome is a simple enough concept relevant to this forum in that posters tend to say things, and say them in a way, not consistent with how they would speak in a setting where anonymity wasn't the rule.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:38
    @secondson said
    Have 20 million people tried assuring you that they were marines?
    No. If you don't get the anecdote, so be it.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:411 edit
    @secondson said
    Disinhibition syndrome is a simple enough concept relevant to this forum in that posters tend to say things, and say them in a way, not consistent with how they would speak in a setting where anonymity wasn't the rule.
    That aspect of it is not so interesting. Over the past ten or so years a fair few people have told me that they are going to beat me up if they meet me. That big-mouth internet-tough-guy stuff is dreary and dull and not of much interest. I am much more fascinated by - like I said - the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar-type manifestation of online disinhibition syndrome.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:52
    @fmf said
    No. If you don't get the anecdote, so be it.
    I got it, but I don't think you're seeing my point either.

The symptoms of "disinhibition syndrome" are varied depending on the individual, and your interests in the manifestations of it are different from mine.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:56
    @secondson said
    I got it, but I don't think you're seeing my point either.

The symptoms of "disinhibition syndrome" are varied depending on the individual, and your interests in the manifestations of it are different from mine.
    I don't care much about the big-mouth stuff. It's mostly boring. Even when it's exacerbated by booze, it's mostly tedious and embarrassing.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 11:59
    @fmf said
    Over the past ten or so years a fair few people have told me that they are going to beat me up if they meet me. That big-mouth internet-tough-guy stuff is dreary and dull and not of much interest.
    So it bugs you to be threatened by someone who in reality probably couldn't beat up a six year old.

Makes you want to kick their ass, right? Because deep down inside you know the they need to learn to shut their mouth.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:01
    @fmf said
    That aspect of it is not so interesting. Over the past ten or so years a fair few people have told me that they are going to beat me up if they meet me. That big-mouth internet-tough-guy stuff is dreary and dull and not of much interest. I am much more fascinated by - like I said - the Walter Mitty/Billy Liar-type manifestation of online disinhibition syndrome.
    Please explain what the "Walter Mitty/Billy Liar" thing is.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:02
    @secondson said
    So it bugs you to be threatened by someone who in reality probably couldn't beat up a six year old.
    No, it's fascinating. It doesn't "bug" me at all. I think it is one of the most - if not the most - abject ways of making a fool of oneself online or on a message board.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:04
    @secondson said
    Makes you want to kick their ass, right? Because deep down inside you know the they need to learn to shut their mouth.
    Speak for yourself. I don't concur with this kind of silly talk. Just say what you feel; don't try to incorporate me into what it makes you want to do.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:07
    @secondson said
    Please explain what the "Walter Mitty/Billy Liar" thing is.
    It's about the construction of a kind of alter ego who purports to have had all manner of experiences.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 12:22
    @fmf said
    No, it's fascinating. It doesn't "bug" me at all. I think it is one of the most - if not the most - abject ways of making a fool of oneself online or on a message board.
    You appear to be waffling. Above you said it was "mostly boring", and now you're saying it's "fascinating".

Of course only a fool makes threats in an anonymous on-line website. It's less than boring and not very fascinating at all. imo

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree